Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old October 19 2010, 01:53 AM   #16
JonnyQuest037
Rear Admiral

Re: Iron Man 3 to Launch Summer 2013

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
X-Men: The Last Stand eventually had the biggest budget of all the films, after Singer departed.
Was that all going towards the film, though? Presumably that budget was also factoring in the involvement of two other directors & the development they undertook before Brett Ratner came on board. I think that's a fairly common practice in Hollywood. Star Trek: the Motion Picture carried all the development of the abandoned Phase II series as a part of its production costs.
Old October 19 2010, 03:54 AM   #17
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
X-Men: The Last Stand eventually had the biggest budget of all the films, after Singer departed.
Was that all going towards the film, though? Presumably that budget was also factoring in the involvement of two other directors & the development they undertook before Brett Ratner came on board. I think that's a fairly common practice in Hollywood. Star Trek: the Motion Picture carried all the development of the abandoned Phase II series as a part of its production costs.
Tom Rothman said that they were throwing tons of money at X-Men: The Last Stand because it was "the last film" and they wanted all their eggs in a basket.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 04:01 AM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

That's another film that "Iron Man 2" reminded me of but on a lesser scale.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 04:03 AM   #19
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Um...did everyone watch the same Iron Man 2 that I did?

It wasn't quite as good as the first, for sure, but still a very fun and worthy film.
Old October 19 2010, 04:25 AM   #20
JonnyQuest037
Rear Admiral

Tom Rothman said that they were throwing tons of money at X-Men: The Last Stand because it was "the last film" and they wanted all their eggs in a basket.
And look how wonderfully that paid off for them!
Old October 19 2010, 03:26 PM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

People are still positive that there will be a Summer 2013?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 03:39 PM   #22
Piper
Fleet Captain

Excellent news. I seem to be one of the few who really enjoyed IM2 so glad to hear we don't have too long post-Avengers to wait before further adventures. This is such a golden age for superhero cinema...
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 05:55 PM   #23
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Piper wrote: View Post
Excellent news. I seem to be one of the few who really enjoyed IM2 so glad to hear we don't have too long post-Avengers to wait before further adventures. This is such a golden age for superhero cinema...
Well I also enjoyed it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

I'm kind of wondering if maybe since Thor, Cap and the Avengers will be in the can and probably on DVD by the time IM3 is ready to shoot, if they'll kind of make it the sorta "final" movie. Sure they can keep making more if RDJr and the rest of the cast want to continue, but y'know no one's getting any younger. Be kinda cool if they could even bring in Extremis. As sort of the ultimate evolution of the Iron Man and the Mandarin. I think they even sort of set up the Mandarin as a financer of Extremis in the comics too didn't they? So it'd be kinda neat to see this say, Chinese pharma company working on Extremis. The designer of it is an old flame/friend of Tony's and hell you could even work in the origin of Pepper Potts as Rescue. Maybe she's injured in an inital attack by an Extremis powered goon "test subject", Pep gets an RT like Tony's and eventually a suit of her own - would save that for the final act maybe. Meanwhile Tony gets his ass handed to him by an Extremis powered Mandarin - I think the Rings could be technological OR maybe somehow something related to Loki dunno... but in either case, Tony is in rougher shape than ever. Maybe even "dies" on screen for a little bit which prompts Pepper to wear the Rescue armor for a time with Rhodey as War Machine. Tony meanwhile somehow goes into a chysallis state after being pumped with a modified Extremis before he "died" from his injuries and then emerges with parts of the Iron Man inside his bones which can "bleed out" which'd be a cool CGI sequence and then the vectored repulsor powered flying parts of armor coming out of a suitcase. Then, the final act ending up with Iron Man and the Mandarin pounding the living shit out of each other. Maybe with the Mandarin even doing a sorta Armor Wars type scenario where other copycat Iron Man suits start causing terror around the globe, which is when Tony is able to take control of each suit and then we have a massive Iron Legion in the sky.

I know it sounds wild but hey that's my dream for an Iron Man movie - pretty much everything cool about the past 3-4 years in the comics wrapped into one movie.
Old October 19 2010, 07:59 PM   #25
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Well it will probably be the final Iron Man movie unless they can lock up the cast for another trilogy. There have been reports that Marvel's plans will be realized in 2017 and that they're going for a Civil War type of crossover movie with all of their franchises. There was a story today that Disney has now targeted Sony and Fox to attempt to buy back their remaining franchises which would be awesome of course but probably unrealistic unless they're willing to spend a boat load of cash.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 08:18 PM   #26
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well honestly it's not as if Sony and Fox actually created the characters they have the rights to. And y'know what it's not as if they can't distribute the new films. But Marvel Studios should have the right to the ENTIRE Marvel Universe. I mean, I always thought it was so fuckin' stupid to have the MU spread out among 3-4 studios. Paramount honestly wasn't too bad as they pretty much stayed out of it and let Marvel Studios do their thing. Which is probably why they agreed to give it back to Disney in exchange for keeping the previous movies and Cap and Thor. And let Avengers and Iron Man 3 be Disney's.

Fox and Sony seem to be far more intrusive and honestly it's hurt the properties. X-Men could really have been an awesome, spanning, complex universe even if you don't touch on the other MU characters, just the X-Franchise but they squandered it. Same as Sony could have let Raimi do things his way like he did with Spider-Man 1 and 2 - didn't they realize what happens when a picture company gets too involved with the actual story? It always ends up more expensive and doesn't get good reviews. Sure people may 'like it' but they don't consider it a 'good' film and piss and moan that they want a new one to "fix' the last piece of shit.

So if Marvel/Disney can unify the movie Marvel U, its not to say that we won't have a few shitty movies here and there, but at least they don't have to drastically change existing storylines and such because "Well we don't own the rights to those characters."

Of course, then we get animated movies that give us our cake and let us eat it too. So that's funny. Disney can make an animated series with EVERY character in the MU with no problems, but can't do a live action?
Old October 19 2010, 08:27 PM   #27
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

clint g wrote: View Post
Think this might mean trek in summer 2012?
I hope not, as they've just started writing it. Maybe they should have the guts to go with a December release for Trek 2, as was the original plan with the first movie.

Re. Iron Man 3: The second movie was, in my opinion, quite good but unremarkable. It was kind of rushed, and I think that it suffered a little because of it. Hopefully, the longer gapwill benefit the third movie. Let'salso hopw that Iron Man fatigue hasn't set in by then!
Old October 19 2010, 08:54 PM   #28
Gaith
Rear Admiral

20th Century Fox had been short-sighting Singer ever since the first movie. They gave him six months less time on a restricted budget for the first movie, they still cut his budget for the second movie requiring him to cut characters and sequences like Sentinels, the Danger Room and Angel
But would those movies really have been better if he'd gotten all he wanted? Was Superman Returns better than X2?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 10:21 PM   #29
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
20th Century Fox had been short-sighting Singer ever since the first movie. They gave him six months less time on a restricted budget for the first movie, they still cut his budget for the second movie requiring him to cut characters and sequences like Sentinels, the Danger Room and Angel
But would those movies really have been better if he'd gotten all he wanted? Was Superman Returns better than X2?
Yes?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 11:18 PM   #30
JonnyQuest037
Rear Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Was Superman Returns better than X2?
Yes?
BZZZZZZTTTT!! I'm sorry, that is incorrect! Thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts and a copy of our home game!