Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 15 2010, 03:20 PM   #31
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Re: The Incredible Hulk heading back to television

Maybe they'll do something like Bruce Jones run on the comic (Which was basically the TV show with some modern sensibilities) which inspired part of the second film.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I would give it a shot. The original show was great, and I'm not opposed to a new version. I think Hulk is well suited to television.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 04:39 PM   #33
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
So Marvel in May pitched the original Heroes for Hire (with Luke Cage) and then the reboot Heroes for Hire(with Misty & Colleen) and called it Daughters of the Dragon?

I think it could have made more sense to combine the two. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty, and Colleen would have been the regulars.

Jessica Jones could have been a recurring character as well as a source of information(as a reporter).
I'd watch that. Occasional guest spot by Matt Murdock, maybe? Hmm? Anyone?

Last edited by Brikar99; October 15 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 06:47 PM   #34
ClayinCA
Commodore

Marvel currently doesn't have film/TV rights to Daredevil (those being held hostage, like those of the FF and the X-Men, by Fox), so I wouldn't count on seeing Matt Murdock turn up in any capacity. Which is a shame: Daredevil cries out for an adult, sophisticated TV adaptation.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 06:57 PM   #35
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The Daredevil rights should revert back to Marvel pretty soon if Fox doesn't make use of them.
Old October 15 2010, 07:06 PM   #36
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I'm glad Marvel is bringing The Punisher to cable TV. I think that's a good place for the character to flourish.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2010, 10:09 PM   #37
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

That list is very exciting (with the usual caveat of "if done well"). I wonder how many of them will ever make it out of the proposal stage, however. Heroes for Hire is the one that interests me the most, although I wonder what impact (if any) this has on the ventured Luke Cage film. I have a hard time seeing Hulk work as a weekly series (what I've seen of the old show has been pretty cheesy), and Ka-Zar would probably exhaust its premise in short order. I also find it strange that ABC Family would want Cloak and Dagger--I don't see their characters lending themselves to family-safe far (not to mention they would have to--tragically--tone down Dagger's costume).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old October 15 2010, 10:49 PM   #38
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
I also find it strange that ABC Family would want Cloak and Dagger--I don't see their characters lending themselves to family-safe far (not to mention they would have to--tragically--tone down Dagger's costume).
That's a misconception that's been going around the 'net since this story broke.

ABC Family is not a kids-safe channel. They routinely show programs and movies rated TV-PG to TV-14. They're called "ABC Family" because they have different shows for different family members. A Cloak & Dagger series could easily be a TV-14 series or at least TV-PG.

If they tone down Dagger's costume, it probably won't be because it may offend kids but because someone thought it was silly or impractical for a woman to be dressed like that in real life, IMO...
Old October 15 2010, 11:09 PM   #39
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
I hope whoever is doing the Hulk TV series has the sense to incorporate the Rick Jones character. I think it was a big mistake not to include him in either movie. He could add some much-needed comic relief and be a good audience identification character.
I agree with this. Jones is also vital to the Hulk's character, as the Hulk was created by Banner saving the kid from his own stupidity. The essence of Hulk's origin is that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old October 16 2010, 12:00 AM   #40
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
JonnyQuest037 wrote: View Post
I hope whoever is doing the Hulk TV series has the sense to incorporate the Rick Jones character. I think it was a big mistake not to include him in either movie. He could add some much-needed comic relief and be a good audience identification character.
I agree with this. Jones is also vital to the Hulk's character, as the Hulk was created by Banner saving the kid from his own stupidity. The essence of Hulk's origin is that no good deed goes unpunished.
Yeah, the heroic act of Banner and the survivor's guilt of Rick are some interesting character traits that have been very unexplored in other media until now. The only other adaptation I can recall Rick Jones being used in was the 1980s animated series.
Old October 16 2010, 12:16 AM   #41
the Dagman
Commodore

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The Daredevil rights should revert back to Marvel pretty soon if Fox doesn't make use of them.
Either that, or the resolution of the Kirby Estate v. Marvel/Disney "lawsuit".

What do I mean? I believe it is all part of the pretty devious plan Disney came up with when they announced they were acquiring Marvel over a year ago. They wanted it all and even said so. Yet how could they get it all if Fox and Sony had the rights to the biggest draws of Marvel's inventory of characters? This is what led to the Kirby Estate announcing their lawsuit about a week or so after Disney announced they were buying Marvel, and their "claim" on Spider-Man in particular. Disney enlisted the Kirby's in a little bit of legal theater.

You see, all the contracts that Marvel has signed over the years would be nullified and need renegotiation if there were now another party named to be equal owners of the properties in question. So if the Kirby's win, the contracts with Sony and Fox become worthless.

So all Disney/Marvel has to do is to capitulate to the Kirby's demands on the day the trial opens. They can't lose. They would still own a 50% share of the copyrights and all of the trademarks, so they could continue to publish all they want. But a couple of weeks after the trial, after all the contracts with Fox and Sony have been shredded, Disney will announce a deal with the Kirby's to buy their rights in perpetuity for a small nine figure sum. A deal that has actually already been made. A deal that was in place before Disney ever announced it was buying Marvel.

At least, that is how I see it. It all just reeks of a devious plot with underlying motives, a typical corporate move. And it would be funny if the only losers in the Kirby/Marvel lawsuit were Sony and Fox.
Old October 16 2010, 12:25 AM   #42
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

^ This is all just your theory, though, right?
Old October 16 2010, 12:30 AM   #43
the Dagman
Commodore

^I said that it was at the beginning and end of the post. But it all fits. And I could easily see Disney giving the Kirby's like $150M if that nets them the movie rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. And much cheaper than buying them back from Sony and Fox.
Old October 16 2010, 01:32 AM   #44
Christopher
Writer

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
That's a misconception that's been going around the 'net since this story broke.

ABC Family is not a kids-safe channel. They routinely show programs and movies rated TV-PG to TV-14. They're called "ABC Family" because they have different shows for different family members.
Actually the only reason they still have "Family" in the name is because, when The Family Channel's founder Pat Robertson sold it to Fox Kids Worldwide, the contract contained a clause requiring that any and all future owners keep "Family" in the channel's name. So it became Fox Family Channel, and then when Disney/ABC bought it, the best they could do to rebrand it as their own was to call it ABC Family. They've tried once or twice to get rid of the "Family" part -- they wanted to call it "XYZ" and then "ABCF" -- but the contract locks them into using it in perpetuity.

So it's really not a family-oriented channel anymore. It mainly aims for college students and young women.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2010, 02:04 AM   #45
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ That seems awfully silly, don't care that you show anything worthwhile as long as the channel has "Family" in the name.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote