Perth Mint Voyager Coins
By: T'Bonz on Sep 1

Face Off To Feature Trek Makeup

Pegg Omaze Video Features Outtakes

Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 24 2011, 09:43 PM   #106
EnsignAmy
Captain

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I liked Crystal Skull as well.
Big confession: I loved "Crystal Skull," at least when I saw it in the theater. I was just SO excited to be seeing a new Indy movie. I saw it with my boyfriend and I turned to him afterwards and told him how awesome it was, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said that it was horrible and that the Internet would agree with him.

And that's pretty much what happened.
Old February 24 2011, 09:44 PM   #107
Gaith
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
It's hard to imagine that Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston have been living in that same Firehouse busting ghosts for over 25 years. The second film already did the "lets bring the gang back together" plot.
Indeed. Assuming any future movies launches a "next generation" of 'Busters, it strikes me as if anyone should appear in the movie, it'd be Ramis. Wasn't Egon the most knowledgeable and supernatural-obsessed of the four? I see him in a Master Splinter-type part, chuckling at the antics of the new gang.

As for the story, here ya go:

All the original Busters minus Egon (see above) have retired. The new guys keep the torch alive, since Egon refuses to share his inventions, so the city and authorities need them around, but they sometimes only barely tolerate them, particularly when they mess up due to their general scrappy-ness. Egon is so protective of his tech because he's found a way to shepherd ghosts and ghouls into a higher dimension of being, where they can finally know peace (and not bother anyone).

Enter a new gang in town: the Ghostshredders. Well-financed, flashy and professional, they zap ghosts with far greater efficiency than the Busters. The City embraces them...

... But before long, the gang figures out that the Shredders don't capture the ghosts, they annihilate (spiritual-murder) them. The Busters to bring them down, or force them to reform to more humane (ghosmane?) tactics).

From there, turns out the Shredders CEO is a demon, portal to hell, battles in Grid/Hell version of NYC, etc. When all hope is lost, they're saved by a mysterious spirit... it's Venkman, appearing in a super-cheesy Force-vision-esque form. Turns out all these years he's spent getting high on ganga (mixing Murray with the character here), he's been navigating other planes of existence, and has found all kinds of groovy truths. Venkman ascends to such a higher plane, the gang escapes back to real NYC, ghost-shredding is outlawed, Egon becomes a beloved public spiritual guru, and the Busters get private grants large enough to upgrade their tech. Happy end.

Take it, Columbia/Sony/Ramis/whoever. You're welcome.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 09:49 PM   #108
Timby
JUST KEEP SHOOTING MORTY

Gaith wrote: View Post
All the original Busters minus Egon (see above) have retired. The new guys keep the torch alive, since Egon refuses to share his inventions, so the city and authorities need them around, but they sometimes only barely tolerate them, particularly when they mess up due to their general scrappy-ness. Egon is so protective of his tech because he's found a way to shepherd ghosts and ghouls into a higher dimension of being, where they can finally know peace (and not bother anyone).

Enter a new gang in town: the Ghostshredders. Well-financed, flashy and professional, they zap ghosts with far greater efficiency than the Busters. The City embraces them...

... But before long, the gang figures out that the Shredders don't capture the ghosts, they annihilate (spiritual-murder) them. The Busters to bring them down, or force them to reform to more humane (ghosmane?) tactics).

From there, turns out the Shredders CEO is a demon, portal to hell, battles in Grid/Hell version of NYC, etc. When all hope is lost, they're saved by a mysterious spirit... it's Venkman, appearing in a super-cheesy Force-vision-esque form. Turns out all these years he's spent getting high on ganga (mixing Murray with the character here), he's been navigating other planes of existence, and has found all kinds of groovy truths. Venkman ascends to such a higher plane, the gang escapes back to real NYC, ghost-shredding is outlawed, Egon becomes a beloved public spiritual guru, and the Busters get private grants large enough to upgrade their tech. Happy end.
This is a mix of Extreme Ghostbusters, one or two plots of The Real Ghostbusters, the 1999 draft of Ghostbusters: Hellbent and a massive . Alternatively,

Yeah, that's certainly a, uh ... thing.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 09:57 PM   #109
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Interesting story proposal and yeah it combines elements of Extreme Ghosbusters and the The Real Ghostbusters episode "Citizen Ghost" which explained how Slimer came to live with them (but not why he was absent in Ghosbusters II interestingly enough from the firehouse) and they're confrontation against Ghost duplicates of themselves.

Egon was the pure scientist of the three, Ray was the big believer of the supernatural (based on Dan Ackroyd's real life interest in the subject) and Peter was the sardonic skeptic who was basically along for the ride.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 10:04 PM   #110
Dick Whitman
Commodore

I would take a completely different approach. Almost a mockumentary style film. Show that Peter's ideas to franchise the business really did happen. So their world is not really ours but a slightly alternate one. I think it could be more fun that way. Showing a world that publicly acknowledges ghosts. Of course their would be the skeptics.

Embrace the time since the last film. This way there could be multiple groups of Ghostbusters, including the "Real" ones. Without some heavy-handed passing the torch to a new generation stuff. In fact it could be a brilliant way of satirizing the very notion of sequels and the franchising of these things. There would be disputes among the guys about if they lost there way since their glory days. Ray taking that side and Peter happy to just count his money.

This is the only way I could see Bill Murrary getting excited about it again. Finding a fresh source of humor. Instead of it being treated as just a horror or fantasy film. Of course Akroyd would be the source of whatever supernatural plot that would be building towards the big action climax.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 10:08 PM   #111
Gaith
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
This is a mix of Extreme Ghostbusters, one or two plots of The Real Ghostbusters, the 1999 draft of Ghostbusters: Hellbent and a massive . Alternatively,

Yeah, that's certainly a, uh ... thing.
I've never seen any of those, though I have heard vague rumors of "Busters go to Hell" GBIII scripts. Just goes to show there's nothing new under the sun. I sometimes think that Back to the Future was the last truly original story idea man can ever produce.
Old February 24 2011, 10:13 PM   #112
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I've read a really, really bad fan script based on the "Hellbent" plot years ago. I like the idea and concept of "Hellbent" I personally just think it needed to be tweaked.

@Donald Draper, I really love your mocumentary idea. I once wrote a three page treatment entitled "Ghostbusters Vs The Blair Witch" involving the boys being called to Burketisville by the town historian (the bloke we saw in the Sci-Fi Channel mocumentary) about six months after the events of the first movie. They encounter Elly Kedward and after being spooked by her for a bit they end up busting her.

Old February 24 2011, 10:23 PM   #113
Gaith
Vice Admiral

I would take a completely different approach. Almost a mockumentary style film. Show that Peter's ideas to franchise the business really did happen. So their world is not really ours but a slightly alternate one. I think it could be more fun that way. Showing a world that publicly acknowledges ghosts. Of course their would be the skeptics.

Embrace the time since the last film. This way there could be multiple groups of Ghostbusters, including the "Real" ones. Without some heavy-handed passing the torch to a new generation stuff. In fact it could be a brilliant way of satirizing the very notion of sequels and the franchising of these things. There would be disputes among the guys about if they lost there way since their glory days. Ray taking that side and Peter happy to just count his money.

This is the only way I could see Bill Murrary getting excited about it again. Finding a fresh source of humor. Instead of it being treated as just a horror or fantasy film. Of course Akroyd would be the source of whatever supernatural plot that would be building towards the big action climax.
My idea involves "a world that publicly acknowledges ghosts", "embraces the time since the last film" and doesn't have a "heavy-handed possing the torch" tone that permeated Tron Legacy. Other than that, your idea is indeed a "completely different approach".
Old February 24 2011, 11:00 PM   #114
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

EnsignAmy wrote: View Post
Big confession: I loved "Crystal Skull," at least when I saw it in the theater. I was just SO excited to be seeing a new Indy movie. I saw it with my boyfriend and I turned to him afterwards and told him how awesome it was, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said that it was horrible and that the Internet would agree with him.

He means message boards and critics and that is still a minority. The movie continues to be in the Netflix Top 100, currently 53, PEOPLE in general like it that much. Tell him that.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 11:20 PM   #115
Timby
JUST KEEP SHOOTING MORTY

Yeah, well, a karaoke contest has been the most popular show on television for the last six years -- popular doesn't equal good.

(I actually quite enjoyed Crystal Skull, though it was deeply flawed.)
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 08:24 AM   #116
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

There you go. I really like that idea Maybe they could also do a bit of travelling. I mean, surely NY isn't the only place in need of their services?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 09:51 AM   #117
Aragorn
Admiral

Maybe the original four can be running their own Ghostbusters franchises (Peter spends all his time catching rays and playing golf in Miami while leaving some redhead who keeps taking off his sunglasses and making one-liners in charge, Winston heads the L.A. franchise with a Ghostbuster who tortures ghosts for information and says "damnit" a lot), when something forces them to come back together.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 02:54 PM   #118
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
EnsignAmy wrote: View Post

He means message boards and critics and that is still a minority. The movie continues to be in the Netflix Top 100, currently 53, PEOPLE in general like it that much. Tell him that.
Could be people deciding to check it out. We don't necessarily know they liked it.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 07:45 PM   #119
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Maybe the original four can be running their own Ghostbusters franchises (Peter spends all his time catching rays and playing golf in Miami while leaving some redhead who keeps taking off his sunglasses and making one-liners in charge, Winston heads the L.A. franchise with a Ghostbuster who tortures ghosts for information and says "damnit" a lot), when something forces them to come back together.

I like that idea too. With the passage of time, there's always the possibility of other locations having sprouted up. Personally, I'd love to see the Ghostbusters in Scotland. Always interesting supernatural stuff there. Heck, it could all be something that ends up happening at the Stonehenge.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 08:17 PM   #120
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I like the idea of Ghostbusters, Inc. Franchising the business. Wonder if Egon and Ray would let Peter do that in the first place?