RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 455
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2012, 01:38 AM   #256
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Jeez, am I the only one excited for this? The revival of a long dead franchise should be a time for celebration; not a time to bash and moan. If the film sucks? You ignore it and wait for the inevitable RedLetterMedia review. If the film is awesome? Well, awesome.
The problem is that Ghostbusters isn't a franchise (or at least it was never intended to be). The success of the first film is that its central idea is that four nuclear-powered hucksters somehow stumble into saving the world. It's a brilliant comedy first and foremost, with the sci-fi / horror elements aiding in building the joke. Ecto-1's design, for example, is a brilliant payoff. The whole movie is a happy accident in terms of how well it came together.

The only reason Ghostbusters 2 exists in the first place is because Columbia saw The Real Ghostbusters selling metric tons of toys, and it wanted some more of that sweet, sweet money, so they dumped trucks full of money on the principals' lawns and convinced them to come back. No one actually wanted to do the movie (outside of maybe Aykroyd), and it shows in the finished product, which seemingly everyone involved hates.

This is a movie that's been in development hell since about 1992, has never had a script that everyone has been happy with (Reitman had dropped out of development from 1999 - 2005ish because he hated what Aykroyd was pushing), Ramis hasn't made anything legitimately funny since some bits and pieces of Analyze This, Aykroyd has lost the plot, and even Reitman seems to have blown his wad after Evolution, which tried so desperately to be Ghostbusters 3 itself.

It's not a movie crying out to be made because there's a great story waiting to be told. It's a movie that Sony wants to make because it wants more sweet, sweet merchandise money, and the only reason Ramis, Aykroyd and Reitman are involved in the first place is because the deal they made back in 1984 stipulates that they have to be (or at least sign off on it), or else the movie can't go forward. If Sony could get rid of them, it would have, and we would have seen Ghostbusters: The Remake out for the 25th anniversary a few years ago. We're not going to get a nostalgia trip of one last adventure with the guys -- we're going to get something that introduces a new crew that Sony can then sequelize to hell and back.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 03:07 AM   #257
davejames
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah that's all true... but I'm still willing to give the movie a shot. This thing has been talked about and debated forever, so it'll be nice to finally see what it looks like. Plus I'm kinda curious to see how they update and modernize everything.

And hey, if nothing else, we'll have tons of fun ripping it apart later online.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:28 AM   #258
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
^ Yeah that's all true... but I'm still willing to give the movie a shot. This thing has been talked about and debated forever, so it'll be nice to finally see what it looks like. Plus I'm kinda curious to see how they update and modernize everything.

And hey, if nothing else, we'll have tons of fun ripping it apart later online.
That pretty much sums up my feelings.
Old October 19 2012, 12:54 PM   #259
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm guessing Winston might still be around? Didn't see any solid mention of his inclusion.
If not around at start then be brought in later for help training, a type of coach?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 01:34 PM   #260
Gaith
Rear Admiral

At this point, we've all been subjected to so many years of idle chatter on the subject I kinda feel we deserve a movie just to have it pay off somehow. If Tron can produce a watchable sequel a generation later...

Besides, a new 'busters flick might well produce a significant upswing of cute girls in gray coveralls and proton packs for a Halloween or two. Isn't that worth ticket-buying for? Isn't that worth sighing for?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 02:41 PM   #261
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

This is one situation where I don't understand why anyone would want a continuation rather than a reboot.

One of the grat things about Ghostbusters was that at a tie when Hollywood and America an in general was glorifying big business, banking and the wonderful world of megacorporations,, Ghostbusters gave us a story about a group of really smart, but eccentric guys who start a small business and frankly stumble onto the biggest event in human history. Its the little guys make it big...and they made "science" look kind of fun and cool (despite the total lack of actual science in any part of that movie).

Its the sotry of those guys that fun. Why would we care about a new generation of glorified exterminators. They should just find a new group of up an comming comedians and simply start over. Personally I think that Ghostbusters would make a great TV series. Afterall if Ghost Hunters can successfully chase after fake ghosts, and find an audience, surely the Ghostbuster can make it on TV. Plus for a cartoon, The Real Ghostbusters managed to put out quality product...so a live action TV series should be just as capable of making the concept work.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 02:55 PM   #262
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd rather see a reboot than a sequel.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 04:25 PM   #263
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Yup, this is still filed under "I'll believe it when I see it."

Let me know when there's a trailer.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 06:01 PM   #264
davejames
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Its the sotry of those guys that fun. Why would we care about a new generation of glorified exterminators. They should just find a new group of up an comming comedians and simply start over. Personally I think that Ghostbusters would make a great TV series. Afterall if Ghost Hunters can successfully chase after fake ghosts, and find an audience, surely the Ghostbuster can make it on TV. Plus for a cartoon, The Real Ghostbusters managed to put out quality product...so a live action TV series should be just as capable of making the concept work.
The problem with a reboot is that they'd pretty much have to retell the same story-- from the guys' first encounter with a ghost, to how they set up their business, to the conflicts they have with city officials, to their final heroic showdown at the end.

Obviously it's a great story, and the main reason that first movie worked so well, but we've already seen it. And there's no way a reboot could possibly do it any better.

I think they'd be better off just jumping forward in time and giving us a new story.
Old October 19 2012, 06:14 PM   #265
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Some years ago, I would have been eager to see a Ghostbusters 3. Nowadays, though, I'm just not interested. If it is made, I would probably watch it on Netflix, but otherwise, no real desire, mainly due to exactly what's happening now; there's just no energy to it.

The first movie crackles with energy. It's funny as hell, it's quirky, it's goofball fun with some great character moments. The second GB wasn't as energetic or off the cuff, but I think it's still good for a laugh. The thing is, they ran out of steam rather quickly. This movie has been dying before it was ever made, and if it's made now, it will likely exist on life support the moment it hits the theater.

I might be wrong. It might end up being great. Hell, I was pleasantly surprised by the 2009 Star Trek movie, but it's still quite a stretch.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 06:23 PM   #266
davejames
Vice Admiral

Another problem I see (whether it's a reboot or sequel) is that those glowing ectoplamic ghosts of the 80s just aren't remotely scary or frightening anymore.

What really needs to happen (and I know it won't), is for the Ghostbusters to go up against the freaky, Ring-style ghosts and creepy, wall-crawling creatures of today's horror movies. That would be fun as hell to watch, and much more in the spirit of the original movie than what they're probably planning to make.

If we're not as freaked out by the ghosts are the Ghostbusters are, then the movie's just not going to work.
Old October 19 2012, 06:30 PM   #267
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I never found the ghosts in Ghostbusters to be scary to begin with.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 06:42 PM   #268
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well they weren't terrifying or anything, but they were at least a bit creepy and you could buy them as a serious threat.

And when I was 10 I certainly remember being freaked out by those terror dogs.
Old October 19 2012, 06:48 PM   #269
B.J.
Rear Admiral

The 11-year-old me found the terror dogs quite, uh, terrifying. But other than that, the ghosts weren't exactly meant to be scary (except maybe the librarian for just a moment).

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm guessing Winston might still be around? Didn't see any solid mention of his inclusion.
If not around at start then be brought in later for help training, a type of coach?
I'm also surprised nobody mentioned him either. Personally, I think Winston would have probably moved on. Now that I think about it, he'd be a good antagonist in the form of a city servant.
Old October 19 2012, 06:49 PM   #270
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The very first scene with the librarian and the ghost was eerie.

Louis being chased by the terror dog was sort of suspenseful when it switched to the dogs point of view
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote