Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Nimoy Health Scare
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Star Trek #42 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Feb 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 1 2012, 01:03 AM   #196
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

Timby wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post

Since you're apparently on a first-name basis with him, maybe you can ask.

No, Murray's reluctance (and now, refusal) is due to two factors: One, he had a terrible time on Ghostbusters II and it really soured him on the franchise. Two, he and Ramis still have never really mended their fences since the complete and utter falling out that came about because of Groundhog Day. It's not a Cold War like it was until about 2004 or 2005, but the two are still not anywhere near being on the best of terms. Murray's a very sensitive guy, and he was very hurt by Aykroyd and Reitman on Ghostbusters II, and he felt incredibly hurt by Ramis on Groundhog Day. He very clearly doesn't have much interest in resurrecting a franchise he isn't terribly fond of in the first place, especially when there's no real creative reason to do so.
I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing... what happened in Groundhog Day that split them apart?
Murray felt his character, and the story, should be played completely seriously, as though it were a drama, while Ramis said, "Come on, this is a comedy." There were several large blow-ups between the two on the set, and it culminated in Murray, after his last scene was completed, going over to Ramis and saying, essentially, "I have nothing more to say to you." Ramis reached out several times throughout the '90s and the early parts of the aughts, but Murray didn't return any calls from Ramis until something like 2005 (I believe that was the year; I need to check my interview notes); they're on speaking terms nowadays, but Murray is still pretty hurt. I'm sure that part of it is him being childish, but, really, he's earned it.
I didn't know about that with Groundhog day either. IMO, Ramis was right then. I think that movie is gold. One of my favorites easily. Shame that Murray took the Takei to Shatner approach though with Ramis.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 01:19 AM   #197
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Since Murray did Garfield 2, he is obviously not above doing a bad movie simply for the paycheck.
I think he knew it was going to be crap so he just did it for the paycheck and sleepwalked in the recording studio.

But for Ghostbusters 3 he probably wants it to be great and won't sign on unless it's up to his standards.

So I think he cares about Ghostbusters 3.

It's basically him wanting to put effort into something.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 01:24 AM   #198
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

No, as has been pointed out (and made pretty much obvious since, like, 1985) Murray doesn't care about Ghostbusters.
Old March 1 2012, 10:14 AM   #199
billcosby
Commodore

Murray's a very sensitive guy, and he was very hurt by Aykroyd and Reitman on Ghostbusters II, and he felt incredibly hurt by Ramis on Groundhog Day. He very clearly doesn't have much interest in resurrecting a franchise he isn't terribly fond of in the first place, especially when there's no real creative reason to do so.
I didn't know about the Groundhog Day stuff, so that's interesting. I believe all of the players in GBII got screwed, not only Murray. Apparently when they arrived on the set of day 1 of shooting the studio had interfered with nearly everything and changed large portions of the film, aggravating all who had input in the original story.

As for the last point about resurrecting a project/without a creative reason, it doesn't explain Murray's involvement in the Video Game. I'm replaying it again right now and he's clearly channeled enough Venkman in the voice overs to make it believable. Perhaps he saw the game as a valuable project but not making the third film?

Ultimately I stand behind Dan A, he's the guy with the paranormal interest behind the franchise. All the great comedy Bill brought to the series is excellent but I don't think it's the crux of the Ghostbusters. That's Dan.

One interesting twist is last year, when Murray appeared at The Scream Awards show in full GB gear. At that point, I thought to myself, "I know he's having a laugh and all, but if in the near future he officially turns down his role as Venkman, isn't he doing sort of a 'screw you' to his fans?"

Last edited by billcosby; March 1 2012 at 11:23 AM.
billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 12:38 PM   #200
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

If they dont get a move on they will eventually be the ghost's getting busted. LOL

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 02:52 PM   #201
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Funny how to find out what's unpopular, you basically need to go online. I've always liked GB2, being 12 years or whatever when it was in cinemas. Sure, it's not as edgy a comedy idea as the first, but there are things about it I liked more. Being a fan of the cartoon show, it was nice a few cues were taken from it - such as Janine's look and Slimer hanging around the firehouse.
Old March 1 2012, 02:54 PM   #202
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I actually wouldn't be entirely opposed to a Ghostbusters "reboot" and something along the lines of taking a serious approach to the franchise and "playing it straight." As much as I love the original, I think it'd be interesting to see a serious action-movie style GB movie as opposed to a comedy. And the first movie is in the right neighborhood of this idea but clearly the second movie ramped up the comedy and was too "kid friendly" inspired mostly by the cartoon series. (The early stuff itself treating the source material very straight with the right amount of "dark" and seriousness.)

But the first movie is an unbridled classic, the second is... meh.

We've not seen a sequel in the intervening 22 years and any sequel at this point either would be sad or just not very good at all. I think a straight "reboot"/remake would be okay and even interesting.
Old March 1 2012, 03:00 PM   #203
Dream
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
We've not seen a sequel in the intervening 22 years and any sequel at this point either would be sad or just not very good at all. I think a straight "reboot"/remake would be okay and even interesting.
Reboot is the way to go. It brought Star Trek back from the dead!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 03:04 PM   #204
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But the first movie is an unbridled classic, the second is... meh.
I was completely underwhelmed by GB2. What did it have to offer that was missing from the first? In contrast to the first film, which seemed highly original and which was very entertaining, the second seemed to be a completely formulaic retread, everything expected of a sequel playing it safe and by the numbers, and nothing more.
Old March 1 2012, 03:17 PM   #205
Trek Survivor
Captain

I loved GB2 and GB1, but I think a reboot on this one is the way to go.
Old March 1 2012, 05:38 PM   #206
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

If they don't have Murray, there's no reason not to reboot it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 07:35 PM   #207
Agenda
Fleet Captain

They could reboot it, but you can't easily replicate the success of a film like Ghostbusters. Big budget comedies rarely work so well. I don't know if I've ever seen a film with so many great one-liners, especially a film on that scale. The cast was spot-on, with everyone playing their roles perfectly. That kind of chemistry is also not easily achieved.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 08:03 PM   #208
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

They could do a passing the torch/reboot film where Aykroyd is the only Ghostbuster still on active duty and has refused to retire despite his old age. He takes on a new team and in the end realizes his time has passed and lets others take up the call.

It mirrors real life (which is usually a plus) and doesn't require Murray as a main character. Murray and the others could make a cameo in the end, but the film would primarily be Aykroyd with the newcomers. Aykroyd seems to be the only one who really, really wants to do this film, so he should just go for it.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 08:11 PM   #209
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Dunno if I'd want a reboot in the traditional sense. This is one of those franchises where they really do have to get things right for fans to feel like they've done a good job with it. See, what worked for JJTrek is they still acknowledged the prime universe, that they were an alternate universe and were still able to move on. In this case, I'd prefer it if the history from the previous movies were still acknowledged in some way, even if it means jumping ahead several years where only a few of the original ghostbusters are still alive and with a change in tone. Doing this would help introduce new toys and gadgets that have been invented since the last time we've seen them. I just don't really feel a reboot with a clean slate would do much good. They'd also have to be very careful with the casting.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2012, 08:39 PM   #210
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Also don't forget about Murray's cameo role in "Zombieland" as well That was Ghostbusters oriented. I don't think this will ever happen. They wanted to continue the franchise with a passing of the torch plot involving Murray. Also, IIRC (unless it is an urban myth of some sort) don't Murray and Ivan Reitman have some kind of "veto" power over the script? If they don't like it, it basically doesn't happen type of deal?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote