Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade Avengers: Age of Ultron
A+ 19 10.50%
A 50 27.62%
A- 39 21.55%
B+ 23 12.71%
B 18 9.94%
B- 15 8.29%
C+ 4 2.21%
C 6 3.31%
C- 2 1.10%
D+ 1 0.55%
D 4 2.21%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23 2015, 11:27 PM   #1
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Avengers: Age of Ultron- Grading & Discussion (spoilerific)

May 1st? It's the 23rd of April, and Avengers: Age of Ultron is out now in numerous parts of the world, so as to not spoil it for people in the "news" thread we better create a proper review thread really.

Seems a long time ago we got this huh? But the wait is finally over.

Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2015, 11:42 PM   #2
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron- Grading & Discussion (spoilerific)

My first question to people who've seen it- did it seem kinda blurry grey to you? At my screening the colours just seemed kinda zapped out of it a bit, I couldn't put my finger on it. I just wondered if it was the cinema screen or whether it was meant to be like that. It was in 3D for the record.

But overall definitely enjoyed it. I tried to avoid any reviews so as to not spoil anything; the only one I did see was simply the headline which gave it 4/5 and said it was very good but just a little too big for its own good. I think I'd agree with that, Ultron especially I feel got sidelined a bit. Really didn't live to all that hype he got after that first trailer. I mean Spader was great, but just his whole scheme etc... basically just yet again the MCU don't achieve an amazing villain.
I'll post some more thoughts later. Loved the ending

As for...
Old April 24 2015, 01:25 AM   #3
intrinsical
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
My first question to people who've seen it- did it seem kinda blurry grey to you? At my screening the colours just seemed kinda zapped out of it a bit, I couldn't put my finger on it. I just wondered if it was the cinema screen or whether it was meant to be like that. It was in 3D for the record.
Yes, I had that same feeling too. Especially in the fight for a certain important substance, I could barely make out anything.

By the way, how do you guys feel about the new Avengers roster at the end of the movie?
Old April 24 2015, 01:49 AM   #4
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

^I like the roster, but the rationale for the others leaving was practically non-existent.

As for the movie, I liked plenty of individual bits and pieces and scenes on their own - as a cohesive whole though the movie is a mess. I give it a C+ - a weak ending to Phase II.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 01:57 AM   #5
Frodo Lives
Captain

The New Avengers roster is ok, but I was rather disappointed with how empty the rest of the hanger was. Talk about a missed opportunity, especially with Civil War coming, why not expand the roster just a bit more than already introduced characters. Damnit Rogers, you've got an entire training campus for God's sake (hehe).

They should have had the entire Avengers Initiative in there. It didn't even need to have Spidey, just a bunch of Marvel's D-listers, some of whom I think are exceedingly under-appreciated.

As for Ultron himself, I have a lot of problems with, chief among them; he was too likable. Spader did an amazing job and we've never seen an AI with such personality in film ever before I'd say.

I found myself kind of rooting for him, but not in the same way I liked Loki and wanted to see more of him, Ultron just did not seem like a villain - he had no real malice is what I'm trying to say.

He was one guy against what was essentially a team of total dicks - and Barton. He was the underdog, even if his way of going about the extinction of humanity was horrifically stupid, it had a kind of artistic mad genius to it that you kind of had to admire.

Loki was witty and funny, but moreover, deliciously evil, he reveled in the chaos he caused. Whereas Ultron just goes about chaos very matter of factly, which is odd considering how warm and emotional he is the rest of the time.

I also thought giving him a moving mouth and lips was a bad move, it just seemed completely out of place, why in the hell would a robot need lips?

And did I miss something, or was Ultron specially programmed not to be able to directly kill the Avengers? Sure his drones gave it a good try, but he had Widow at his complete mercy and could have off'ed her at any time and dealt the Avengers a grave blow, but didn't, WTF?

Overall I liked the movie, but it ranks at about an Iron Man 3 level of enjoyment; I enjoyed it, but if you stop to think about it a whole heap of shit doesn't make sense.

Loved Barton's expanded storyline though, that was great.

--Peter Jason Quill

Last edited by Frodo Lives; April 24 2015 at 02:10 AM.
Frodo Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 06:30 AM   #6
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Definately yes. I thought that my theater forgot to turn brightness higher. I had hard time following some of the darker action scenes. 3D movies always should have higher than normal brightness since 3D glasses dim the picture little bit.
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 06:40 AM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

My screening looked just fine.

Content-wise, I'm very satisfied. Sure, it's not in the top three of MCU movies for me, but the first Avengers isn't either, so no crime there. Everyone had something to do, it had a light sense of fun, a charismatic villain, awesome sequences...thumbs up.

It's not without downsides, but nothing that ruined the enjoyment for me. And it shows how far we've come that a movie like this would be getting "Eh, it was okay" reviews when it would have destroyed nerd minds 10 years ago.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 09:43 AM   #8
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Here's my (spoiler-free) review.

Overall I thought it was a lot of fun but it didn't blow me away. I got a bit of action fatigue by the end of it as well. What did people think of the mid-credits scene? I thought it was redundant and would much rather have seen something from a character we hadn't seen before.

I was really hoping they were going to have a little reference to Spider-Man as well, even if it was just a strand of web hanging from the screen at the end of the credits.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 10:14 AM   #9
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Disappointing mid-credits scene. I guess they just felt the need to remind everyone that Thanos is still around.

I'm kind of surprised after this movie that Hawkeye is still going to be in the Civil War. Or will it be just Barton without costume and bow and arrows? I got the feeling that he retired at the end.
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 12:14 PM   #10
EyalM
Captain

I liked it better then the first one. Mostly because Ulton was a more likable villain. Although his motivations were not clear (from "I need to protect humanity" to "I want humanity to evolve" to flat out "I will just kill everyone").

Did anyone feel like the final battle was, on some level, a response the Man Of Steel's Metropolis destruction debate? They just put so much focus on saving civilians and its importance.

Some nitpicks:
I felt like the Vision was completely useless. He could have been cut from the movie and nothing would have changed.
How does this movie work with Iron man 3? Tony destroyed all the suites there, and now he has them again.
How the hell would Wanda(?) know Tony would build Ulton because of the vision she gave him?
One last note: Why does everyone keep their sensitive computer systems connected to the Internet? Tony did it. Hydra did it. Even the nuclear weapons were accessible from the Internet (This was very close to a Terminator origin story )

Frodo Lives wrote: View Post
And did I miss something, or was Ultron specially programmed not to be able to directly kill the Avengers? Sure his drones gave it a good try, but he had Widow at his complete mercy and could have off'ed her at any time and dealt the Avengers a grave blow, but didn't, WTF?
All the drones were Ultron. Having one be distinct and do all the talking seems to be for the benefit of the audience.
But even the "main" drone fought Thor and Iron man directly. I think he kept Widow alive because he needed someone to talk to. The way Banner just walked into Ultron's lair to save her was kind of stupid though. At first I even thought he was a fake.

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
What did people think of the mid-credits scene? I thought it was redundant and would much rather have seen something from a character we hadn't seen before.
I was pointless. And also disconnected, as the character acted like he had some involvement with the events of the movie, which he didn't.
Old April 24 2015, 02:28 PM   #11
Ethros
Vice Admiral

In regards to the plot being a mess, mmm, it wasn't the tidiest I will say. I did feel like for my friend and I watching it, having seen all the other movies more than once, and having a fair bit of knowledge about the Marvel universe it was ok. But for just a general movie goer, who may not have seen all the previous movies, a lot of it really would make you think "wtf"

Some random thoughts (most are a bit negative, not that I didn't like the film but they're just sticking out)-

-Thor's whole "journey" did seem a bit of a waste looking back. Kind of setting up Infinity Wars and (I presume) Thor: Ragnarok, but as a whole in this film it didn't really go anywhere.

-Was it really necessary to have Idris Elba & Hayley Atwell's names on the poster? I'd rather have had their appearances be a surprise. Same for Anthony Mackie really.

-No real explanation of how Tony/Iron Man came back after the end of Iron Man 3, he just was.

-The New Avengers scene was awesome, Scarlet Witch looked hot. But it would have been nice to have had a little cameos from maybe Ant-Man, Dr Strange, Black Panther etc, but I understand if they wanna save them for later.

-Hawkeye's thing of "I've been possessed. Not a fan" was awesome Some really nice stuff for him to play with in this movie. Although if he had a wife and kids I don't really get why Black Widow was wearing an arrow necklace in The Winter Soldier then.

-Baron Von Stucker... so he didn't really do much huh?

-It'll be interesting to see how Agents of Shield intersects in its remaining Season 2 episodes then. I presume a lot will be at the start with Dr List, and it'd be nice to see Von Strucker, seen as he did naff all in the movie. And when Nick Fury showed up at the end saying he brought some old friends, I was really hoping to see Coulson on that helicarrier. Alas

-The mid creits scene was a bit too "blink and you'll miss it." Again, this is that thing of hardcore fans enjoying it but average movie being left clueless. We all know the glove has a tiny cameo in the Asgard vault room in Thor 1, so we know that's where Thanos was. But most of the "norms" won't know that, or know that's where it was supposed to be. They could have at least made that scene a little longer, establishing that it was Asgard, see Thanos break in etc. That's my problem with the MCU movies- I enjoy them, but they all come across as so damn rushed.
Old April 24 2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Heres a large part of my issue with the flick - the Avengers was a culmination of Phase I. All the phase I films introduced elements that came into play in the Avengers. Characters, villains, plot points are ALL introduced in parts of the original Phase I. Phase II has nothing like this. Excluding Guardians because thats off doing its own thing, Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Cap Winter Soldier have very minor elements which connect to Age of Ultron (IM3 - Tony's world ending fears, Thor 2. . ., Cap 2 - Falcon) but nothing major is introduced that then comes into play in AoU. And the twins being in the post credit scene for Winter Soldier don't count, because they did fuck all and theres zero backstory on them. Due to the sheer lack of buildup throughout Phase II, AoU has to do all the world building/character building within it that Avengers didn't have to do. This just adds to the messy nature of the flick with a million and one things happening.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 03:32 PM   #13
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

EyalM wrote: View Post
I liked it better then the first one. Mostly because Ulton was a more likable villain. Although his motivations were not clear (from "I need to protect humanity" to "I want humanity to evolve" to flat out "I will just kill everyone").

Did anyone feel like the final battle was, on some level, a response the Man Of Steel's Metropolis destruction debate? They just put so much focus on saving civilians and its importance.
Whedon said that him and Feige talked about the level of destruction and how to portray it on screen.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/how-man-of-steel.html

I haven't seen the movie yet but from all the reviews I've read, they all say there is a pronounced emphasis on the Avengers saving people. I'm not sure if this effects the pass of the final battle, can someone else comment? From what I've read, it sounds like AoU is another Battle of the Five Armies. A film that is one long action scene.
Old April 24 2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Ol' Scratch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

-No real explanation of how Tony/Iron Man came back after the end of Iron Man 3, he just was.
The end of Iron Man 3 was the explanation. It clearly showed that he couldn't break his addiction to being Iron Man despite having said so earlier, complete with him going back to his house, scavenging what he could of his armor-building tools, and riding off into the sunset with it.
Ol' Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2015, 04:02 PM   #15
Ethros
Vice Admiral

M.A.C.O. wrote: View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet but from all the reviews I've read, they all say there is a pronounced emphasis on the Avengers saving people. I'm not sure if this effects the pass of the final battle, can someone else comment? From what I've read, it sounds like AoU is another Battle of the Five Armies. A film that is one long action scene.
Yeah there is a bit of that.
And there is some really nice mellow stuff in the middle of the movie without saying too much, so don't worry.