Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old November 26 2010, 02:12 PM   #151
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: ST: Shaping a Cardassian - The Shadow of the Order

Everyone fells in love with Brenok's singing

Draw Jeto? Hmm... I have to think about it, about her face. I'll see what I can do.
Old November 26 2010, 07:16 PM   #152
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I would enjoy seeing it too. I admit I gave a thought to trying it myself, but honestly, I don't believe I could get the correct mixture of features. So I can't wait to see how you draw her!
Old November 28 2010, 02:24 AM   #153
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Chapter 16

Cardassian Union Warship Damar
Argaya Sector near the Cardassian Union border
27th day of the month of Lukyut, 532, Cardassian Union Calendar

Ma’Kan stared at Zamarran and Ya’val not believing her own ears. This couldn’t be the truth, this was some kind of sick joke they decided to play on her.

“What do you mean...Sabal is dead,” she whispered.

Ya’val grabbed her elbow and pulled her inside her quarters. They stood in the doorway and every passerby on the corridor could witness their difficult conversation.

“It can’t be,” she said, looking at him with huge eyes and letting him pulled her toward her sofa. Zamarran entered too, but he stopped just by the door.

“It must be some kind of mistake,” she said. “You are wrong,” she shook her head.

“You may go, sir,” Ya’val said softly to Zamarran.

“Let me know if any of you needs me,” the gul’s aide said and left.

“Zerin, please, please tell me this is not true,” she begged the engineer.

His eyes filled with tears. “I’ve seen his body. This is for real, my friend. This is for real.”

“But...who? Why? Why him? What did he do to anyone?”

“I don’t know. I don’t understand it either.” He kept shaking his head.

“I...sometimes I thought that I...” she didn’t finish. She couldn’t finish. It didn’t matter any more.

She was the first person who befriended Sabal when he had arrived to the ship. There was something in him, something soft but he wasn’t soft. She had checked his profile—something she did with every new crewmember—and when she had discovered that part of it was classified, she had hacked in. That also was something she did with every crewmember. She didn’t see it as illegal, she had to know everything there was to know about everyone on this warship, because she was responsible for everyone’s safety.

At first she had been shocked to discover that Sabal had been an Obsidian Order agent. He didn’t seem to have that cruelty in him. But later she realised that he would be a perfect agent because he didn’t have that cruelty. People would trust him. She just wasn’t sure he would be able to abuse that trust. His heart was too good for it. He was above dirty Obsidian Order tricks.

“Zerin...” she looked at the engineer. “Zerin...” All she could say was his name.

He took her hand in his and stroke its back. “Don’t say anything,” he whispered. “I know.”

She sniffed and then her eyes hardened. “Zerin, I want to lead the investigation.”

“Glinn Zamarran said we were both too close to Sabal to let us do it. He will lead it. With that Federation security chief.”

“I am responsible for this ship’s security,” she said. And I failed so badly, she thought. “I should lead the investigation.”

“Believe me, I know how you feel, but your perspective would not be neutral.”

“I can’t just sit and do nothing,” she complained. “I can’t be useless!”

“There’s nothing you can do.”

“It was that Bajoran, wasn’t it!” she suddenly shouted. “She did this! She hates us all! I’ll kill her!”

“Soterra, stop it!” he said sharply, although he didn’t want it to sound so harshly.

“She deserves to die for what she’s done,” the tactician hissed.

“It wasn’t her. She found them, but it wasn’t her.”

“How can you know?!”

“She tried to save Karama’s life.”

“Why?”

“I have no idea. But she did. It was too late for Sabal.”

“Who did this?” she felt so guilty now asking questions about Sabal and not about Karama.
“Why?”

“Zamarran will find out. He has to.”

“Will the Feds give us the murderer to face our tribunal? Somehow I doubt it.”

“I don’t know, but Gul Brenok fights th’Arshar. If you could see him. He threatened the captain, he was angry and he yelled at him. The Trill tried to find a compromise, but to be honest I think anything else than an execution is unacceptable. Even Kapoor wants the guilty dead and she’s human.”

“How is she?”

“Still on the Federation ship. They were still operating when I left.”

“Let’s see how it’s going,” she rose and went to her computer. Then she thought that Kapoor wouldn’t like to talk to a disembodied voice through a comm. Maybe she needed support? It was her husband there, fighting for his life. “Is there anyone we could ask? Apart from her?”

“No one from our crew is still there. But maybe calling their sickbay would suffice.”

“I’ll do that,” she tapped in commands and waited, sniffing her tears.

She saw a face of a human. “Wait a moment,” the human said and then moved away, disappearing from the screen. Ma’Kan glanced at Ya’val who only shrugged.

“Gil,” Taret’s voice spoke from the monitor and the tactician’s eyes returned there immediately.

“Medic, how’s Karama?”

“We managed to stop the bleeding and we seem to have enough blood for him in the Damar’s storage, so for now it seems good.”

“For now?”

“There are still things that could go wrong, however if his condition doesn’t worsen within next twelve hours, he should be fine.”

“Is he going to return to health fully?”

“If everything goes well, yes, he is.”

At least some good news. “How’s Kapoor?”

“She is with him. She’d use a friend.”

“Are you sure I wouldn’t disturb her?”

“I’m sure. You could use a friend too,” he added.

Ma’Kan’s eyes filled with tears again.

Taret disconnected and the tactician looked at her friend.

“I’ll go with you,” he said. “There is a murderer among them and I won’t let you go alone.”

“It didn’t help Sabal and Karama.”

“They didn’t expect anything. Let me just contact Zamarran and ask him to warn that each and every Cardassian aboard their ship’s going to be armed.”

“Good precaution.”

Zamarran was furious. He was beyond furious. He observed Brenok pacing in the office and wondered how it was possible that the gul hadn’t strangled th’Arshar for his ideas there in that sickbay. Ya’val had told him what had happened there and Zamarran couldn’t believe th’Arshar had been defending the murderer. How blind those Federation types had to be to think that there was any justice in locking a killer in a cell to live in comfort for rest of his life. The glinn had no doubt that a Federation prison was nothing like a Cardassian one. He was certain that it was nice, tidy, warm and with all necessary utilities; after all anything less would be inhuman, wouldn’t it?

“Sir,” he said quietly.

Brenok didn’t react, he kept pacing. How different was Brenok’s anger with a reason from his anger without a reason. His frustrations were finding their way in insults and violence, sometimes toward others, sometimes self-inflicted—although he suspected that self-inflicted sort was rather a self-punishment for letting his emotions get out of control. His justified anger was locked inside him. He didn’t curse. He didn’t insult. His reasoning was intact and he could present you with all his arguments.

“Gul Brenok,” Zamarran said again and again he was ignored.

He didn’t mind. He knew that Brenok was on the edge and he probably feared he would explode in Zamarran’s face.

“I will lead the investigation,” the glinn decided to speak anyway. “I will take Fong as my aide, so later the Federation captain cannot accuse us of falsifying proofs or any other nasty things.” He silenced for a moment, wondering if Brenok heard him at all. The gul stopped and looked at him. “I will also assign two security militiamen to every Cardassian that works aboard their ship and I really don’t care what they have to say about it,” the glinn continued. “I’ll send a troop there, if I have to. I’ve already ordered Tarub to assign four men for Karama’s protection. Whoever did this, he or she can try to finish the job.”

Brenok sat, but not in his chair on his side of the desk, but next to Zamarran, on the guest side.

“Troval, did I make a mistake?” he whispered.

Zamarran’s first reaction was shock. He didn’t know what he found more astonishing: that Brenok blamed himself or that he used his given name to address to him.

“A mistake?”

“Was I too trustful? Not careful enough? The Federation were never our close friends. We have a history of conflicts. Was it my negligence? Did I trust them too much? Did my guilt after my last...breakdown...cloud my judgement? Did I try to make it up too much?”

Zamarran listened to Brenok and kept shaking his head. “No, no, Gul, absolutely not.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Sir, there is someone on that ship, one or more people, who have killed our officer and attempted to murder another one. This is not your fault. You didn’t force their hand. Brenok, you didn’t even provoke them!” he said the last sentence louder and with indignation. “Whoever is to blame, it’s not you!”

“And what if your investigation proves I am somehow responsible?”

“I don’t see how.”

Brenok lowered his head and Zamarran stared at him, wondering if there was anything he could say to convince the gul.

“Gul Brenok...” he started but decided it was time to be rather a supportive friend than a subordinate. “Arenn, I will find whoever did this. And I will prove to you that it wasn’t your fault.”

Brenok looked at him and he expected to be chastised for addressing his gul by his given name, but Brenok only stared. Zamarran opened his mouth to apologise for breaking the etiquette, but the gul sighed and his lips formed a sad smile.

“I hope you’d also tell me if it were my fault.”

“I would,” Zamarran confirmed. “However I know that it isn’t.”

“Do you believe that Jeto didn’t do it?”

“I don’t assume anything. I will investigate her too. But somehow I can’t imagine her taking two Cardassian men. If she was involved, she had help.”

“She did try to save Karama.”

“She might have realised what she tried to do and attempted to at least save one of them. Or it was all planned to look like she saved one, while she killed the other one.”

Brenok sighed. “Any news about Karama?” He sat with his forearms leaned on his thighs, looking at tips of his boots.

“He’s stable. This night is critical; if he survives then he should be safe.”

“The people in stasis?”

“Taret’s team is preparing to revive one as we speak.”

“One?”

“They don’t want to risk waking them both up. Not now, at least.”

“I see.”

Zamarran wished he could do more to help Brenok. He wished Jarol were here to cheer her friend up. He wished he knew if he could do that himself.

“Sir, is there anything I can do to help...you?”

The gul looked up in the glinn’s face. He looked like considering his answer. “No, Troval, but thank you,” he said finally. Somehow this time the use of his name didn’t bother Zamarran.

There was something new between him and Brenok, a new kind of bond. His young gul didn’t want their relationship to be limited to duty only, he didn’t want Zamarran’s support to be regulated by rules, he needed Zamarran’s heart to lean on. And Zamarran intended to give all he could, every piece of his soul to this young man, who sometimes seemed like carrying too much weight on his shoulders.

“Decryption finished successfully,” the computer’s voice said suddenly.

Zamarran gave Brenok an asking look.

“I have found some encrypted files about Saratt. Let’s see what the Order was trying to hide.”

They both moved to the other side of the desk; Brenok sat in his chair and Zamarran stood behind him.

“A visual recording,” the glinn commented slightly surprised.

“That’s third one in his file,” Brenok said. “Let’s see...” he punched in a command and the recording started to play.

They watched and their surprise, disgust and admiration grew. It was a record of an interview with Saratt. The young man sat in an empty room opposite a middle-aged man who kept asking his questions. At first questions seemed innocent, but the farther the interview went, the worse the questions got. And the clearer was fear in Saratt’s eyes.

The man explained the procedure to him. He promised no suffering, he promised Saratt wouldn’t feel anything, he promised he would be unaware of anything. Saratt asked if it would be like death. The man confirmed. And then he promised that after one hundred years Saratt would be disconnected and could return to his life. Saratt clearly didn’t believe him. He asked what would happen if he refused. The man told him the next from the list would be taken in his place.

Zamarran knew the next on the list was Sabal.

Saratt seemed to consider the answer and then decided, “I’ll do it.”

The man gave him a padd and the young painter pressed his thumb to confirm his consent.

“They would kill him if he refused and he knew it,” Zamarran said. “That way or the other he wouldn’t leave the Orias system alive.”

“I think it’s more than that,” Brenok replied. “I think he didn’t want them to take Sabal.”

“Sacrifice.”

They both silenced for a moment. “Those bastards destroyed the best people Cardassia ever had,” Zamarran said with hatred. “They believed we all were guilty of something, it was only a matter of time to find of what.”

Brenok glanced at him. “They are gone and won’t come back.”

“Lost lives can’t come back too.”

The gul observed him and Zamarran wondered if he knew about his brother. Brenok had access to files very few people could see. Maybe there was something, maybe someone knew...

“Let’s try to save this one,” the gul said. “Let’s do our best to save Saratt.”

Zamarran nodded. “Let’s do that,” he wholeheartedly agreed.

USS Karamazov
Stardate: 73696.4
11th of September, 2396, Old Earth Calendar

Amrita Kapoor sat in the Federation sickbay by the side of her husband. Her hand was just next to his and from time to time she was gently touching his with her little finger, as if she wanted to make sure he was still there, flesh and blood.

It felt so surreal. She was here, in this bright Federation style room and it felt so strange, so alien to her. The Cardassian on the bed was her connection to what she considered ‘home’.

She couldn’t imagine losing him. She couldn’t imagine what she would do without him. She couldn’t imagine how she could go on without him. How would she tell their children?

She felt someone’s presence behind her. She turned to see the last person she’d expect to be here.

“Why?” she asked the visitor. “Why did you do it? Why did you save him? You hate them.”

“When I saw him, I didn’t see a Cardassian,” Jeto replied. “I saw a dying man and I acted. It was an instinct. If I thought...I might have left him there to die.”

“Thank you. Even if you regret it, thank you. For me he’s not a monster, he’s my husband.”

“Do you love him?”

“Of course I do!”

“Did he force you? Ever?”

“Force me? To what? To marry him?”

Jeto shook her head.

“No,” Kapoor understood the question. “He never forced anyone to anything.” She grinned slightly. “He can’t even force our son to finish his dinner.”

“Why did you marry a Cardassian?” Jeto pulled a chair and sat next to Kapoor.

“Because I loved him. It’s as simple as that.”

“His father was on Bajor.”

“I know.”

“Isn’t he like his father?”

“Absolutely not. He hates his father. That hate includes what his father had done on Bajor.”

Jeto didn’t say anything for a long moment, looking at Karama’s face.

“My uncle was in the resistance. The Cardassians suspected that his cell was in our village and sent a troop to...investigate.” Kapoor didn’t need additional explanation for the last word. “They burned whole village, house after house, dragging all people outside, killing men and raping women. Very few survived. They would kill them all, but some commander appeared and told them to stop and ordered them to withdraw. My mother was one of very few survivors. She told me that story, but I always felt that she hid something from me. That she tried to hide how bad it really was.” Kapoor thought that this story didn’t seem like hiding any ‘bad’, it was as terrible as possible. “That she lied about that commander.”

“Do you think there was no commander?”

“There was one, I’m sure. But I don’t think he stopped them.”

“Why? Maybe it really was someone who didn’t like what happened in that village. Someone who knew it was very, very wrong.”

“There are no such Cardassians.”

“There are. And maybe this commander was one of them. Maybe your mother tried to tell you that not all of them were so bad.”

“Or maybe she made him up for me not to feel so terrible when I see my own face?”

“Look, Jeto. I live among them and I can tell you that some of them are horrible assholes. And some of them are great people. Did anyone here treat you badly? Except for that unfortunate dinner, I mean.”

“The engineer. I think he’d love to meet me in a dark corridor, if he could get away with it.”

“Ya’val?” Kapoor didn’t believe her own ears. “He’s harmless. Whatever he said, I’m sure you misunderstood.”

“He didn’t say anything. But the way he looked...it was scary.”

“Are you sure you didn’t imagine things?”

“I’m sure.”

Kapoor was certain that Jeto was overreacting.

“What’s he like?” the Bajoran nodded toward Karama. “Is he brutal?”

“He’s gentle and caring.”

“Did he ever hit you?”

“What?! No!”

“Did he hit your children?”

“No! He was beaten as a child and he’d never do that himself,” Kapoor recalled their first conversation about this and her heart ached. She had been brutally blunt that day and she had hurt him with her aggressive questions.

“His subordinates?”

“No!”

“Are you sure?”

“I am.”

“How about that Gul Brenok. How many people did he order to execute?”

Kapoor didn’t answer at first. Brenok did order executions, but all those people were guilty of something, really guilty. “Why don’t you ask if he saved someone?” the Indian woman answered with her own question. There were more people Brenok saved then sent to their demise.

“How many?”

“I don’t know. Less than five.”

“Within last year?”

“Within his career. Last thirty years.”

“I don’t believe this.”

“You don’t believe your mother, you don’t believe me. Why do you ask if you’re not ready to accept answers that are not to your liking?” she paused for a moment. “Did your mother tell you the name of that officer?”

“She didn’t know.”

“Do you want to know?”

“No.”

“Afraid it may occur to be the truth.”

“I’m not interested.”

Kapoor wanted to ask if she wasn’t curious who her father was, but then she thought she wouldn’t be curious herself. She wouldn’t even consider that bastard a father. A monster was a much better description.

“Why are you here?” she asked.

“What?”

“Why did you come to the sickbay?”

“I...I don’t know. I wanted to see how he was.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know!” Jeto said with anger. “But...” her voice was much softer and quieter. “But...I hope he’s going to make it.”

Kapoor’s eyes filled with tears.

Suddenly four Cardassian soldiers entered the room. Jeto gasped, clearly startled, so Kapoor put her hand on the Bajoran’s shoulder.

“What is it?” she asked the ranking garesh.

“We have been ordered to guard Glinn Karama. There are two men waiting for you outside, Gil. They will accompany you wherever you go as long as you stay aboard this ship.”

Jeto ran out of the sickbay.

tbc
Old November 28 2010, 03:15 AM   #154
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Oh my God.

I cried, when I saw Saratt literally signing his life away, and why? Because they extorted him with the life of his friend!!!

Another punch in the gut. An innocent person near death, and on that Earth calendar date.

The conversation between Jeto and Kapoor was something that I hope both learned from. But it seems at the very end, not only was Jeto frightened by all of the Cardassian soldiers, but Kapoor stopped being human to Jeto, all over again.
Old November 28 2010, 04:01 AM   #155
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Jeto still has a long way to heal her soul, if she ever gets healed.

It wouldn't surprise me of the OO put young "recruits" in shared quarters with hopes that friendships would be forged and then those young men could be forced to do something to protect their friends. It wouldn't be beyond the Obsidian Order to use people's feelings against themselves
Old November 28 2010, 04:11 AM   #156
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Indeed. It sounds VERY much like them.
Old November 28 2010, 04:59 AM   #157
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

No surprise then that the Mar'kuu Group hunted them down and forced to face the tribunal. I suppose every execution was broadcast and "enjoyed" by the population. And the prison, built specifically for those who were not executed, is on their coldest continent
Old November 28 2010, 05:17 AM   #158
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Ohhhh, yes.

Even in my SigCat AU, the Oralians speak of the place of eternal torment as "the tundra."
Old November 28 2010, 05:38 AM   #159
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Maybe my Cardassians should drop by your AU Bajorans and borrow a few cold-boxes?

Last edited by Gul Re'jal; November 28 2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Change of vocab :P
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2010, 05:55 AM   #160
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I think the word you want is "borrow."

But those would be too GOOD for the ones who tortured Saratt...
Old November 28 2010, 06:05 AM   #161
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

"Loan" is a noun, right?

Even on the lowest temperature setting? And not to kill them, to keep them inside indefinitely?
Old November 28 2010, 06:26 AM   #162
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

It can be a noun, but in verb form, "loan" is "to lend," rather than to be on the receiving end of the loan.

You know...I hate to share this idea, considering it was done to AU Dukat, but he had the scales of his neck ridges peeled off before he was thrown in there. (Vedek Tora was trying to get information, which he refused to give, and when she realized she STILL couldn't break him, that's when she threw him in there.)
Old November 28 2010, 07:07 AM   #163
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Ouch!

I actually imagined that this was one of tortures the Dominion used on their Cardassian prisoners
Old December 4 2010, 03:15 PM   #164
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Chapter 17

Cardassian Union Warship Damar
28th day of the month of Lukyut, 532, Cardassian Union Calendar

“How did you do it?!” th’Arshar stormed into Brenok’s office, followed by quite scared Dole.

“Sir, I tried to stop him, but unless I used physical force, it was--”

“That’s all right, Gil,” Brenok raised his hand to stop the nervous stream of words. “You’re dismissed.”

The tactician nodded and left while the gul looked at the Andorian.

“How did I do what?” he asked calmly.

“Who did you contact and who did you bribe to have my crewmember extradited to your poor excuse of justice?”

Now Brenok was so puzzled that he ignored the bribery insinuation. “What?”

Th’Arshar looked like a balloon from which air was escaping. He clearly expected the Cardassian to join the heated argument, but the gul not only stared at him calmly with his greenish eyes, he also appeared not to know what th’Arshar was talking about.

“Starfleet contacted me this morning. They told me I am to give you the guilty of the murder as long as his or her guilt is undoubtedly proven.”

Brenok leaned back in his chair and was sure a satisfied smile appeared on his face in spite of his efforts not to let it happen. “I filed my report and it seems like Cardassia reacted,” he said.

“It reacted, yes.” The Andorian put his hands on the desk, leaning toward the gul. “I don’t know how you did this and why Starfleet agreed to this atrocity, but I will fight it.”

“Atrocity, Captain? We will execute a murderer. This is justice.”

Your justice!” The word ‘your’ was so full of contempt that it was telling the gul everything about th’Arshar’s opinion of the Cardassian tribunal.

Brenok didn’t say anything. He didn’t care about that opinion, he was satisfied that the public need for justice would be satisfied. And he was glad that they could tell the public the Federation agreed to their solution. He was only a little surprised that the matter was solved within one night. Jarol’s words still rang in his head and he wished he could talk to someone about what she had told him the previous evening, but he couldn’t.

He knew one thing for sure: th’Arshar could fight it all he wanted; the Federation made their decision and they were ready to ‘sacrifice’ one of their own and give him to ‘suffer Cardassian atrocities in form of their tribunal’. He was sure that was how th’Arshar saw it.

“Sit down, Captain,” he said, pointing to a chair on the other side of his desk.

The Andorian exhaled air audibly and stormed out of the office.

“Or not,” Brenok shrugged and returned to his work.

He knew that Kapoor and Ya’val kept working on the database, but didn’t put a lot of hope in a swift solution. He was sure Kapoor was far from normal state of mind and he felt guilty of ordering her to return to duty, while her husband lay in the Federation sickbay. At least they knew he would make it and should fully return to health. Taret had told him that they should be able to transport him to the Damar infirmary within next two days.

Zamarran was busy with the investigation. He had beamed aboard the Karamazov in the early morning and joined Lieutenant Fong in his security office. Brenok hoped that they would quickly find the guilty ones as for now he feared to send any of his people to the Federation vessel. The science lab, in which Kapoor and Ya’val worked, was guarded by five militiamen and Zamarran had two gareshes with him at all times but somehow the gul didn’t worry any less. A murderer was a murderer and as long as someone who targeted Cardassians on that spaceship was on large, he would not feel that any Cardassian there was safe.

Taret to Gul Brenok,” said the medic’s voice through the comm.

“Brenok here.”

We’re ready, sir.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes,” the gul replied and rose. He didn’t come from behind his desk yet when the doors to his office opened and th’Arshar entered.

“I want to make one thing clear,” he said. “You will not get any of arrested suspects in your hands until their guilt is undoubtedly proven.”

Brenok’s eyes opened wide in astonishment. “Err...what?”

“You heard me!” Th’Arshar boomed.

“Captain, why would you arrest people whose guilt is not proven yet?”

Th’Arshar’s face mirrored Brenok’s in its expression. They started at each other for a moment and then th’Arshar sat down. So did Brenok.

“Ok, seems like we have some unclear matter here,” the Andorian spoke first.

“So I can see,” Brenok nodded. “You said you wouldn’t give me someone who is not proved guilty but was arrested. How can you arrest someone without proving his or her guilt?”

“Suspects get arrested and they remain suspects until their guilt is proven. Then and only then they become referred to as guilty.”

“You mean you arrest people, keep them locked and all this without proving their guilt first?” Brenok was more shocked than surprised.

“They always is evidence of their guilt. They face the court to publicly prove their guilt, to prove that investigators were right to arrest this person and not someone else.”

“Do they make mistakes?”

“Sometimes. Sometimes suspects occur to be innocent and are let go.”

“And how do you give them back the time they had spent in a jail?”

“I didn’t say the system was perfect,” th’Arshar grinned slightly as if he apologised for something. “How do you do this? I thought that once someone is suspected of something, they are automatically guilty of it. And a public trial starts just for a show, as the outcome and the sentence are already known.”

“That’s how it used to be before the Dominion War. The essential letter of the law hasn’t changed, but of course being a suspect doesn’t make you guilty yet. This was an abuse and we made sure the law was changed accordingly. Nowadays, before you can make an arrest, you have to prove the guilt first and then you can arrest the offender. Never the other way around. If suspects are innocent, they should not be arrested.”

“I imagine it’s not perfect either.”

“Is anything in the universe?”

“I am.”

Brenok stared at th’Arshar not believing his own ears, but then he noticed a small smile playing on the Andorian’s lip and burst into laughter. The captain joined him.

“You thought I was serious,” he said.

“For a moment you got me there.” Brenok didn’t remember when he had a good laugh last time.

“I still don’t like the idea of executing one of my people.” Th’Arshar was serious again.

“I don’t like the idea of one of mine in the morgue and another one in your sickbay any better.” And so was Brenok.

The Obsidian Order vessel

Brenok entered the engineering of the Obsidian Order vessel to see that the place was quite packed. Apart from officers, who were there as they had jobs to do, there were guards posted by the door and in critical points of the engineering.

Brenok thought of the irony; here they were, the ‘good’ Federation and the ‘evil’ Cardassians and who needed protection from whom?

“Sir,” Taret acknowledged Brenok’s presence.

The medic, the Federation medic, whose name—Brenok knew—was O’Riordan, Lieutenant Av’Roo, Lieutenant Churmou and, to Brenok’s mild surprise, Lieutenant Jeto were gathered around one of stasis chambers. Captain th’Arshar stood in the vicinity; Brenok guessed he wanted to observe but not interfere with their work.

“Is there any reason you chose this one?” the gul asked, meaning the people in stasis.

“No,” Taret answered simply.

“Proceed whenever you’re ready,” Brenok said and went to stand next to th’Arshar.

The captain appeared to be concentrated as if it were him who had the work to do.

“You realise this person can cause more problems than solve,” he said.

“I do,” Brenok nodded. “But I don’t see any other option.”

Th’Arshar sighed. “And what if this person kills Saratt?”

Brenok looked at him. The Andorian kept staring at working medical team, but his face clearly expressed worry. Not hearing Brenok’s answer he turned his head to look at the gul.

“I hope she doesn’t,” the Cardassian whispered. He wanted to say that he wouldn’t allow it, but he knew there was little he could do once the woman connected to the computer.

“Maybe killing her would be a solution,” th’Arshar said as quietly.

“By the time we’d realise what she did, it would be too late.”

“Right.”

Silence.

Brenok was sure th’Arshar was still mad because of the extradition matter, but he couldn’t help but admire the captain’s professionalism—the Andorian could put his feelings away and still co-operate in other matters as efficiently as always.

All members of the medical team—both Cardassian and Federation—turned and look at their captains. Waited.

“Proceed,” Brenok said.

Taret entered a command into the stasis chamber padd and stepped aside with a hypospray in his hand. The cover hissed and slowly opened. The woman inside did not move. O’Riordan started to scan her and then nodded to Taret. The medic injected something into woman’s arm and nodded to the doctor to resume her scans.

“So far so good,” she said.

Taret reprogrammed the hypospray and injected something again. Brenok was curious what all those actions meant but he didn’t want to disturb their work. He knew he would receive a report later, a very detailed report.

The woman was leaning against a kind of vertical bed behind her back and obviously this was nothing mysterious to Taret, as he tapped at a small padd inside the chamber and the bed slid down, with its occupant on it, to horizontal position. The woman was now laying on a kind of biobed.

“Interesting solution,” O’Riordan commented.

Taret didn’t say anything. He leaned over the woman and took his own scans, concentrating mostly on her head and the hand with implants. He looked at nurse Malek and he handed the medic another hypospray. Taret took it, his hand hovered over the woman’s neck, then he sighed heavily and injected that new medicine into her neck, just below the ear in front of the neck ridge.

It seemed like the air in the engineering became more dense; it was harder to breath, so everyone stopped breathing.

“Please step back,” Taret said to O’Riordan. “It’s better if she sees only Cardassians at first.”

All Federation personnel moved beyond the woman’s range of sight.

The woman’s eyelids twitched slightly and then she slowly opened her eyes. Taret and Malek stood on both sides of her bed to shield her from as much light as possible. They patiently waited for the woman to wake up completely.

After a long moment, during which no one said a word, her eyes finally adapted to the ambient light and she could look at the faces above her. She licked her dry lips, so Malek wetted them with a damp swab. Her lips then moved and it was obvious she wanted to say something. Taret closed his ear to her mouth, she repeated and the medic looked at Brenok.

“She asks if it’s time yet,” he said.

“Time for what?” Brenok asked, knowing that Taret had no answer to this question.

“When can she normally talk?” th’Ashar demanded.

“Soon, give her some more time.”

“But do we talk about minutes, hours or days?”

“Minutes. She won’t be able to tell much, but she should be able to answer some of our--”

He didn’t finish as she grabbed his arm.
Old December 4 2010, 03:16 PM   #165
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

USS Karamazov
Stardate: 73697.9
12th of September, 2396, Old Earth Calendar

“What do the scans say?” Zamarran asked Fong.

The Chinese lieutenant read from the screen. “Nothing,” he hissed.

Both men’s frustration was rising. Whoever had attacked the Cardassians, he or she knew how to cover his or her tracks. It’s been third hour of their work in the security office and they had very little data to present to their commanders and all that data was useless in regards of catching the murderer.

“How come? There should be something.”

“There should. Look,” Fong pointed to the screen and Zamarran leaned over his shoulder to read. “These files are missing. There were scans of presence in that corridor. Everything was recorded but someone deleted these files.” Fong frowned. “And you know what is the worst thing?” Zamarran shook his head. “They used my access codes to delete them.”

“How it that possible?”

“We have a serious security breach here. Whoever has done it, they are good.”

“Is there any way to know how come your security codes could land in wrong hands?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Did you write them down somewhere?”

“No. They are only deep in the database. The captain knows them. And me.”

“Your first officer?”

“No.”

“Anyone skilled enough to retrieve them from the database?”

“I don’t know. Maybe Jeto, she’s good. But first of all, we have already excluded her and if someone could retrieve my access codes from the secured database, I don’t think they would bother with deleting the files that way. They would just hack in again and delete them from inside.”

“Maybe they tried to frame you.”

“It didn’t occur to me,” Fong’s frown deepened.

“How about my approach now?” Zamarran asked.

The Cardassian and the human had agreed to work the way Fong preferred: to collect evidence and then built a theory. While Zamarran agreed with that approach, he wanted to start from screening all crewmembers first and that way find some idea of a motive. Fong had argued that it would be building theories based on people’s lives and then attaching some evidence to the existing theories. The human didn’t like that approach. Zamarran had agreed to try Fong’s idea but insisted on switching to his if they wouldn’t get any substantial results after a few hours. A few hours have just passed.

“Fine,” Fong agreed reluctantly. “I’ll work on women, you take men.” Zamarran went to the console Fong had pointed at and sat. “This will take ages,” the human said.

“This crew consists of only forty people, that’s not that many.”

“It’s a lot of you want to check all their profiles.”

“No, if you know what you’re looking for.”

“What do you mean.”

“Just search for phrases like ‘Bajor’, ‘the Dominion War’, ‘Setlik III’, ‘the Border Wars’ and such.”

Fong stared at Zamarran with disbelief. “You gotta be kiddin’ me!”

“No,” Zamarran shook his head with a serious expression. “It’s a place to start. If it doesn’t bring any results, which I doubt would happen, then we can do slow screening, but--” he didn’t finish.

“What?” Fong rose and went to Zamarran’s console. “Oh, shit!”

“Only one hit,” Zamarran nodded, wondering why Fong spoke of excrements. “Do we have anything more on her?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Bajor is a member of the Federation now, so there should be something on her. Check it.”

The human pulled a chair and sat next to Zamarran, reading from the screen. “Who is Gul Jodat?”

“I don’t know, Fong, but I don’t like him,” Zamarran replied with a disgusted face expression. “Zamarran to Brenok.”

Do you have anything?” the gul’s voice asked.

“We think so, sir. We have no proof of anything, but one of the Federation officers is married to a Bajoran, who during the occupation had been a comfort woman of Gul Jodat, described in the file as a sadistic brute.”

Investigate him,” Brenok replied after a short moment.

Fong?” spoke th’Arshar through the same comm; he had to stand close to Brenok.

“Yes, sir?”

Interrogate him.

“Yes, sir.”

The comm closed.

“Looks like we have our first suspect,” Zamarran said.

“Perhaps. What I don’t understand if why would he attack your officers? Just for being Cardassians?”

“Maybe for him that was enough?”

“I hate this. You have no idea how much I hate this, Zamarran,” Fong looked worried and disgusted at the same time.

“I thought you didn’t like us either.”

“Whatever I feel about you as the people, it doesn’t mean I want to randomly kill you. And I don’t like someone else doing it. Not someone who I consider my friend!”

“But you didn’t know his wife was a Bajoran.”

“No, I didn’t. To think of it, I don’t know much about him at all.”

“Some friend.”

“If you serve on a ship with only forty people, you get close to them.”

“Perhaps. Now, however, I’d prefer you to be a security officer and investigate a suspect, not a friend.”

“And that I am.”

Zamarran wondered if Fong felt betrayed in a way.

The Obsidian Order vessel

“Did you know his wife was a Bajoran?” Brenok asked th’Arshar.

“I did.”

“But you didn’t share that little detail with us.”

“I didn’t know what she had to suffer during the occupation and I didn’t want you to assume that it was him just because he is married to a person from a planet you used to occupy.”

“You hid a very relevant information, Captain,” Brenok said in a menacing voice. “Now I understand why you defend him with such a passion. It’s not an anonymous murderer to you. You knew his name from the beginning.”

“You assume way too much, Brenok. I didn’t jump into conclusions and I’d rather you don’t jump to them now.”

“But you did order your officer to interrogate him.”

“To exclude him.”

“And what if he’s proven guilty?”

Th’Arshar didn’t answer. He pursed his lips and looked at the medical team.

Taret listened to the woman for a moment and then looked at Brenok. “Sir, she wants to talk to the highest ranking officer here.”

The gul went to the bed and leaned over her, his braid falling forward and hanging along his jaw. She eyed the braid clearly surprised, then glanced at his black-and-silver armour and her eye ridges arched.

“I am Gul Brenok, the Highest Commander of the Cardassian Guard,” he introduced himself. “What is it that you would like to discuss?” he asked. His first instinct was to inquire if she knew where she was but then he thought she knew answers to his questions better than he did.

“You are--” She whispered and silenced. “Is this the time?”

“Time for what?” he replied to her question with his own.

“To start the mission.” She squinted her eyes suspiciously. Obviously she expected someone so high ranking to know. Brenok felt sick at the thought that someone in the Central Command back then had known of this Obsidian Order atrocity. He looked at Taret. “How much of the truth can she take?”
“Tell her everything you want. Her mind is fine, it’s her body that needs the time to wake up. And she clearly thinks only of her mission.”

“It’s going to be a blow,” Brenok warned. Taret only shrugged; he clearly felt more concern for Saratt than for this woman and Brenok wasn’t surprised. The gul looked back at her, while Taret stood nearby with a hypospray ready in case he overestimated her strength. “This is the year of 532. The Obsidian Order doesn’t exist any longer and whatever your mission was, it is irrelevant now. We have woken you up to help to unplug two people who are currently attached to the computer core in a cruel experiment. You will assist us in...” his voice faded when he realised she started to cry.

Taret moved with his hypospray but she waved him away with a weak move of her hand—the hand with the implants.

“No,” she whispered. She closed her eyes and seemed like attempting to compose herself. Then she opened her eyes and looked at Taret. “Give me ten ccs of derozine.”

“What? Do you have any idea what it’s going to do with your liver?”

“I don’t care. Do it. Only this one time. It’ll put me on my feet quickly.”

Taret looked at Brenok who nodded his consent. Malek handed the medic another hypospray and Taret injected the medicine into his patient. She flinched and then took a deep breath.

“Help me up,” she said and Brenok helped her sit on the edge of the bed.

“How do you feel?” Taret asked, scanning her, while she looked around astonished.

“The Federation?” she asked. She glanced at Brenok. “Do we have some peace treaty with them?”

“Not yet,” slipped out from Brenok’s mouth before he realised it wasn’t information he was free to share with anyone. “We work together on this project. Now, is there any way you could help us with our problem?”

She looked at the man on the table. “Is he dead?” she asked.

“No, in a coma. He was attacking everyone and we had to make sure the Federation members of our team were safe.”

“He probably thought you were traitors,” she said.

“We have an encrypted database here, can you decode it?” th’Arshar asked.

She didn’t reply but looked at Brenok instead. He gave her an expectant look, so she answered; she didn’t look at the Andorian but at the gul, though. “I can. Help me up.”

Brenok led her to the nearest console and observed her plugging in into the portal. She pulled a face and he wondered if it was painful. She had her eyes closed but suddenly they snapped open and stared at the gul in horror. He wasn’t sure if talking to her, while she was plugged in, made any sense, so he waited but felt his impatience grow. Her reaction was not what he expected and he didn’t know how to interpret it.

Finally she disconnected. “Done, the database is not open for access.”

“Brenok to Ya’val,” the gul tapped his wristcomm.

Ya’val here.”

“Do you have access to the database now?”

Yes, we do,” Ya’val’s response was full of surprise.

“Find everything and anything that could help us with Saratt.”

Yes, Gul.

The Obsidian Order agent sat on a nearby chair. Brenok looked at her coldly and her shocked face didn’t melt his heart even a little. “What’s your name?” he asked.

“I am Medic Nagem. I am a neurologist and was chosen for this project, along with...” she looked back at the other stasis chambers, “them. Our function is to help in communication with Core One and Core Two and to command the ship the same way, although limited, that they do.”

“Who is Core One and who is Core Two?” Brenok couldn’t believe they stripped them even of their names.

“Core One is Saratt, as he is plugged to the main computer and he is the dominating one. Core Two is Bantal. His task was limited to engineering matters; to seek, find and repair damage.”

“And your control?”

“We were supposed to be able to directly plug ourselves with the computer, instead of entering the information and commands the traditional way. The goal was to speed up things.”

“Your experiment failed,” Brenok said coldly.

“I know. I’ve seen,” she lowered her head.

“What have you seen?” th’Arshar asked.

“The ship’s logs. Core One tried to--”

“His name is Saratt!” Brenok growled, startling her.

“Saratt attempted to crash the ship on asteroid several times, or activate self-destruct program, or shut down the core which would kill them both, but each time he was stopped. Bantal,” she said clearly, looking at Brenok, “can override his commands related to ship’s safety matters. I know that Saratt is in pain but Bantal isn’t. Bantal doesn’t suffer.” Her eyes filled with tears. “Saratt was plugged in first and something went wrong.” She stared before her as if looking into the past. “He screamed before the paratox took over...” Brenok glanced at Taret who mouthed ‘Medicine’. “After that he could only cry but they told him that it has to stay that way. They told him he should do it for Cardassia, that it was his sacrifice and that his sacrifice wouldn’t be forgotten. But he only cried. They didn’t make the same mistake with Bantal, so this part of the project was successful.” Brenok’s hands clenched into fists. “Then it was our turn and after seeing what they’d done to Co...Saratt, I was afraid that our part would be botched too.”

“Can they be unattached,” the gul asked.

“In theory, yes. In practice...I don’t know.”

“You will assist Medic Taret and Doctor O’Riordan in the rescue operation,” Brenok said, his tone of voice harsh. “If we catch you on sabotage, you will be executed on the spot. After that you will face charges, just as every Obsidian Order agent,” he emphasised. “Is that clear?”

“I am not an agent.”

“From where I’m standing, you are.”

“Do you have any idea what they would do to my family if I refused?”

Brenok didn’t reply. Maybe she was a victim too, but somehow he couldn’t find any compassion in his heart for her.

“You will stay here and help the medical team. You will prepare a plan for disconnecting Bantal. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.” He looked at Taret, “Notify Ya’val to join you in the engineering. I assume he can access the database also from here,” he glanced at Nagem who nodded. “I’ll send Kapoor to her husband, I don’t think she would be much of use for you anyway.”

“I agree,” the medic replied.

Brenok looked at th’Arshar. “Do you want to stay here and observe?”

“I do.”

“I’ll be aboard the Damar.” And with that Brenok left the engineering.

USS Karamazov
Stardate: 73697.9
12th of September, 2396, Old Earth Calendar

Kapoor’s heart started to beat fast when her eyes saw the blue-grey colour of her husband’s eyes. He opened them slowly and first looked around confused, but then a sudden recollection of last events hit him and his eye ridges filled with tears.

“I’m here, honey, it’s ok, it’s ok,” she gently stroked his cheek, making sure she didn’t rub the big ear scales the wrong way.

“Sa...” he started but his voice sounded rough. “Sabal,” he tried again whispering.

Taret had warned Kapoor not to bring the bad news so early, although had also told her it would be possible that Karama would remember all details of the attack.

Karama’s crying intensified.

“It’s ok, honey,” she tried to calm him down.

“No, not ok. He...he saved me. He shielded me with his body... He saved me,” he kept repeating.

“Shhh...shhh...shhhh...” She had no idea how to sooth his pain.

“I would forgive him. I just needed time but I would,” he assured her in a weak voice, swallowing his tears.

“I know, honey, I know. He knew too...” And she believed that. She hoped he would too...

tbc