RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,961
Posts: 5,798,406
Members: 26,054
Currently online: 438
Newest member: spinagogue

TrekToday headlines

5th Passenger Teaser Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek: Renegades Los Angeles Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Shatner Show Coming To Australia
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Wigs
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 9 2010, 12:24 AM   #121
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

zar wrote: View Post
You even admitted that you would consider Kreacher a "weirdo" for displaying the UFP flag while the guy wearing the sports shirt was acceptable. It's bullshit. Anyone can hang a painting of unreal subjects concocted in the artist's mind, but if the subject is a niche work of fiction like Star Trek, ridicule is inevitable.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 03:24 AM   #122
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

I haven't read much of this thread, but when I was a kid, I wished it was real! I didn't want to be on Star Trek, I wanted to be on the Enterprise!

Oh,and Nardpuncher: 2 x 2 = 4
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 03:29 AM   #123
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Taipei
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

FormerLurker wrote: View Post

Oh,and Nardpuncher: 2 x 2 = 4
WHOOOOOOOAAAAAA!!!!!!
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 02:04 AM   #124
Anji
Rear Admiral
 
Anji's Avatar
 
Location: Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

They make fun of us because they're too stupid and narrowminded to understand Star Trek.
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 02:12 AM   #125
Ziz
Commodore
 
Ziz's Avatar
 
Location: NY
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Anji wrote: View Post
They make fun of us because they're too stupid and narrowminded to understand Star Trek.
Just like my signature says.
__________________
Modular Models - Build your fleet YOUR way.
Ziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 01:48 PM   #126
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Anji wrote: View Post
They make fun of us because they're too stupid and narrowminded to understand Star Trek.
Awesome.
__________________
A movie aiming low should not be praised for hitting that target.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 01:55 PM   #127
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Anji wrote: View Post
They make fun of us because they're too stupid and narrowminded to understand Star Trek.

OK, you made me think of this (25 seconds in):



__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 03:30 PM   #128
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

We had a series of rah-rah posters up at work, each one featuring a photo of an employee and one of the company's four "key objectives." Not having been chosen as a model for one of them, I got a little jealous, and created a Key Objective poster of myself, mimicking the style of the real ones as closely as possible:

http://www.inpayne.com/temp/posterpayne.jpg

It's been hanging in my office for years, and it actually gets a chuckle from everyone who sees it. Even the company president gave it a hearty laugh.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2010, 05:13 PM   #129
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

^ Nice.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 02:52 PM   #130
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Sports fans get a pass because sports have been around longer and long accepted by mainstream society. But some sports fans can be just as obsessive.
QFT. And IIRC, the etymology of the term "fan" originally derives from a much larger and more descriptive word - "fanatic".
__________________
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 03:34 PM   #131
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

^Correct.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 04:09 PM   #132
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Sports fans get a pass because sports have been around longer and long accepted by mainstream society. But some sports fans can be just as obsessive.
QFT. And IIRC, the etymology of the term "fan" originally derives from a much larger and more descriptive word - "fanatic".
Which is why I hate the term fan. It makes you sound crazy, and I am definately NOT crazy.

Weird yes, crazy, no.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 04:23 PM   #133
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

RandyS wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Sports fans get a pass because sports have been around longer and long accepted by mainstream society. But some sports fans can be just as obsessive.
QFT. And IIRC, the etymology of the term "fan" originally derives from a much larger and more descriptive word - "fanatic".
Which is why I hate the term fan. It makes you sound crazy, and I am definately NOT crazy.

Weird yes, crazy, no.
Really? You're going to let the word's etymolgy control you in that way?
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 05:52 PM   #134
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

I just remembered a funny experience I had a few years back. Please indulge me.

A friend of mine's boyfriend had a huge argument with her over whether Dark Vader was real. Although he acknowledged that Vader was a fictional character, he believed that, as the representation of evil, he was real in the same sense as other historical figures, like Hitler and Stalin.

A few nights later, a few of us were hanging out, and we decided we wanted ice cream cake. So me and my girlfriend went down to Carvel, and on the urging of Mrs. Vader-is-real, got a Fudgie the Whale inscribed with the words, "Darth Vader is REAL."

That's the kind of stuff people do to you when start talking about whether this stuff is real or not.
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 06:05 PM   #135
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

At a place I used to work ( a bookstore) we developed a test called the Geek-A-Lyser, which measered the taker's devotion to their "hobbies." It covered a wide range of interest from music to sports to TV/Movies. One of my co-workers didn't like his high score, because he thought following the Grateful Dead from town to town and amassing a large collection of concert bootlegs did not make him a "geek." The over all high scorer was a Scifi/gamer/comics books/sports fan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reality

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.