New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 5 2010, 10:03 PM   #31
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
Over the years I have been teased a bit about being a "Trekkie", but I only shake my head when I think about the football fans that paint faces and bodies.....
Exactly!

When I became assistant executive director of the agency I worked for, I hung a UFP flag in my new office. The executive director seriously questioned whether it was appropriate -- what affect would it have on my image as a leader of the organization? This was the same person who showed up every Friday in baseball season in an Orioles shirt, and every Friday in football season in a Ravens shirt!

Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 10:32 PM   #32
hofner
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
It doesn't help that the general media perpetuates the cliche of us as a collection of socially inept wackjobs.
Correction: Socially inept wachjob virgins

Robert
hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 11:15 PM   #33
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ If any of them would bother visiting MISC they would know that we are not virgins... or sexually repressed for that matter. Most of us are some kinky monkeys.

I have often wondered about this myself and the origins of it. The social stigma for being a Trek Fan is not pleasant. From the silly skits done by SNL to all the nerd jokes bandied about, its a miracle we haven't been rounded up and interned. To be honest, I consider myself a "Closet Trekkie" and have no real interest in discussing Trek in my RL, unless it is with close friends. I do not want people making assumptions about me. But I don't fit the stereotype anyway and the people who do know have a hard time processing it. I love it when they come into my home studio and see all the sci-fi toys scattered all over the place. They don't know what to make of it. But I also get weird looks from people when I go to the comic book store. They make it very clear that I don't belong there based on my appearance. Now once they get to know me... that is another story.

Maybe we need to work, as a group, to change our image. As a demographic we are some of the most inventive and intelligent people on the planet. From the space program to inventing cellphones, Trek fans have changed the world several times over in the last forty years. I think we need to remind the common folk of that.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 11:47 PM   #34
Neutral Zone
Captain

You trying to say that I don't really live on the Enterprise, I'm gutted!

I have had the same thing happen to me too with some of my friends, they poke fun and ask which planet I'm visiting and if I've seen Spock lately etc.

I put it down to that they have a serious lack of imagination and do not have any form of escapism themselves.
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:00 AM   #35
Warped9
Admiral

I think it was harder in years before. In the past twenty years or so fans of every stripe have come out embracing some aspect or other of pop culture. Yes, I did get some grief when I was a teenager in the '70s, but after that no one ever hassled me about ever. Today everyone I know knows I'm a Star Trek fan and no one treats me oddly or utters a word. And if the subject arises I don't hesitate to admit to it matter-of-factly and without reservation or awkwardness. No grief.
Old October 6 2010, 04:55 AM   #36
gomtuu20
Commander

Did anyone but me notice MYTHME has a rockin' Avatar? (It is in post #12 in this thread) Is this one of the real Orion slave girls or just a hot chick dressed up like one?
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 05:05 AM   #37
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

Real? That character is from the Enterprise episode "Bounty". But she is a real human with green make-up on. She is also really hot.

Wait... did I break the illusion? Sorry! She is a real Orion Slave Girl and not actress Cyia Batten. Is that better?

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 02:05 PM   #38
Forbin
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
It doesn't help that the general media perpetuates the cliche of us as a collection of socially inept wackjobs.
I am NOT socially inept!

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 02:10 PM   #39
Forbin
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
A fictional franchise is only mildly comparable to a sports team, unless you're talking about something like the WWE.
Oh, I find it completely comparable. We're both nothing more than fans of a form of entertainment.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 02:22 PM   #40
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Because they need to get a life.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 03:02 PM   #41
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Jack Booer wrote: View Post
Why? 'Cause they're soulless idiots.
That, too.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 03:33 PM   #42
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Neutral Zone wrote: View Post
You trying to say that I don't really live on the Enterprise, I'm gutted!

I have had the same thing happen to me too with some of my friends, they poke fun and ask which planet I'm visiting and if I've seen Spock lately etc.

I put it down to that they have a serious lack of imagination and do not have any form of escapism themselves.
It has always been easier for people to ridicule and put down things they don't understand. It's even easier to do if it's two or more against one...
"Let's lynch the Trekkie. It's fun, and it reaffirms our coolness in the process..."

It doesn't help that Trekkies do the same thing to each other about various aspects or versions of Trek...
"Your Trek is dead and cheesy. Our Trek is cooler and is teh awesomeness."

"Whatever" applies to both, IMO...
Old October 6 2010, 04:22 PM   #43
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
A fictional franchise is only mildly comparable to a sports team, unless you're talking about something like the WWE.
Oh, I find it completely comparable. We're both nothing more than fans of a form of entertainment.
Not at all. Most sports are contests of skill in which the outcome is not predetermined. This kind of spectacle attracts people for different reasons than watching scripted stage or film performances does, and the kinds of emotional investment that fans make are also different in most cases.

This is one reason that despite the fact that there are thousands of examples of better films and novels than anything produced for Star Trek there are not examples of devoted, organized fan groups for each of them. Trek fandom is an idiosyncracy of the Franchise - not unique, but far from a typical or necessary expression of audience enthusiasm for art.

Equating fiction with athletics is just defensive foolishness; they're distinct kinds of human endeavor. Our eagerness to ignore that or to equate such things may be one reason others perceive us as "socially inept."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Yeah...but then after saying all that we can just say that we're both fans of something again.
I think that's what Forbin was getting at. The fan thing. I don't think he thinks Star Trek is like a sports team.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 04:38 PM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
Yeah...but then after saying all that we can just say that we're both fans of something again.
I think that's what Forbin was getting at. The fan thing. I don't think he thinks Star Trek is like a sports team.
It makes a lot of difference in how the fan following for such things is perceived and functions, though.

There's a big difference between a basketball fan playing a pick-up game while wearing a team jersey and a Trek fan playing Star Trek while made up as a Klingon.

Nice avatar, BTW. Flatters the old curmudgeon.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote