TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 5 2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Ziz
Commodore

Re: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?

Forbin wrote: View Post
Just ask them if they think they're really members of their favorite sports team when they wear the team's jersey, and paint their faces in team colors, and tattoo the team's friggin logo on their arms.
Ditto.

It's just their way of feeling superior and pissing you off.

That being said, I always like to think that some of the other stuff like warp drive and transporters will eventually happen, thereby making Trek truly real and proving all of them wrong, it probably just won't be in my lifetime.
Old October 5 2010, 04:03 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's not just a TREK thing. Some people just don't comprehend appreciating fiction as fiction. Look at the nutcases who think that the Harry Potter books are going to convert children to Satanism or whatever. And, growing up, I don't know how many times I had to explain to concerned teachers and grown-ups that, no, I didn't really believe in vampires and werewolves. I just liked to read about them.

The other explanation, of course, is that the really nutty fans, who take Trek or Star Wars or Twilight too seriously, are the ones who get all the press!
Old October 5 2010, 04:10 PM   #18
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I suppose it's because the franchise generates so much sincere, serious discussion amongst its fan base. I've never actually met someone who believed with frightening dedication that all of it was one hundred percent non-fiction.

Star Trek isn't the only thing to get this reputation from non-fans. I've run into similar reactions from people regarding everything from pro wrestling to old sitcoms.

For me it's just fun to discuss/debate things like movies, video games and TV shows. As long as no one gets TOO invested in it I get a big kick out of it all.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Sigh
Lieutenant

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
This has happened to me a few times over the years too.

I also wish people would ask me first before they assume I believe in UFOs because I like Star Trek.
Put it on a t-shirt.
Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 04:39 PM   #20
UncleRogi
Commander

Another problem non-TrekKers can't get around is the large continuity base vs Trek Lit. (Iknow, I know--another arguement) Most of us can rattle off trivia endlessly.

Sherlock Holmes is another fictional character that a lot of otherwise grounded folks will get red in the face insisting was a real person.
Old October 5 2010, 04:40 PM   #21
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Q: Why do non-fans think we think it's real?
A: If they have read some of the rants on this, and other, Trek forums... I can see how they could make that assumption. I have never seen fans of other fictional universes get so emotional and argumentative as Trek fanboys do over mundane minutiae.

Like any class of people, it is easy to stereotype the entire group by the actions of a radical few. It is not logical, but I have found it to be true.
Old October 5 2010, 07:02 PM   #22
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I can't believe this thread has reached two pages and no one has busted out a Sisko gif and a Sisko-like ITTTT'SSSS REEEEEALLLLLLLL!

There was this episode of "The Big Bang Theory" where Rajesh says to Summer Glau something about her being in space when she starred in "Firefly" and she asks him if he's one of those people who actually believed that. I assumed this was just some typical sitcom insult line, not a question based on a genuine belief that such people really exist.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

It is the extreme fans that get out of control and become the bad stereotypes that the average fan gets accused of being. Anne Rice has commented on how some of her fans freaked her out when they would come up to her at book signings with stange contact lenses and canine teeth surgically/dentally modified into "real" fangs.

Over the years I have been teased a bit about being a "Trekkie", but I only shake my head when I think about the football fans that paint faces and bodies, stand shirtless in snowy stadiums, let games monopolize their fall weekends, spend small fortunes on tickets, memorize their own set of "equally useless" trivia, and get in fights in bars over teams. The best was when my neighbor actually charged and kicked in his television set when his team lost a big game. His wife was less than impressed with him.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:15 PM   #24
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I like the sports comparison. I read the same thing on another Star Trek forum...it seems to be a common defense among Star Trek fans that us obsessing over a TV show and spending a lot of cash on merchandise related to it is no crazier than how much time and money people spend on sports.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:17 PM   #25
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Why? 'Cause they're soulless idiots.
Old October 5 2010, 07:22 PM   #26
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Probably because of fans like that jury duty lady. She didn't do any of us any favors, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:25 PM   #27
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because so many of us get emotional about the minutiae of the "Star Trek universe" and its continuity.

How "real" is this piece of made-up pooh-bah compared to that piece?

We talk about things like "the post-Dominion War era" as if it matters.

"How soon do you think we'll have something like the transporter, if ever?" I mean, that's a completely meaningless question for several reasons, but we can generate pages of discussion about it that appear to be predicated on a consensus that there's a chance that we can derive an answer.

It also doesn't help when the occasional whacko shows up for jury duty in a Trek costume while calling it a "uniform."

EDIT: I see spookytage beat me to that last observation.

A fictional franchise is only mildly comparable to a sports team, unless you're talking about something like the WWE.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 08:59 PM   #28
thumbtack
Commodore

Overheard at Shore Leave...

"Why are they whining about canon?"

"The whole thing seems less real to them now."
Old October 5 2010, 09:04 PM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

It doesn't help that the general media perpetuates the cliche of us as a collection of socially inept wackjobs.
Old October 5 2010, 09:14 PM   #30
Clare
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Clare

oh trekkies get crap from everybody.......nobody understands it's no different to liking any other kind of fandom. I know it's obviously not real in this world but there is that crazy side of me that likes to think there's an alternate universe where they are all real........ahh you can but dream!
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote