RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,587
Posts: 5,515,350
Members: 25,158
Currently online: 510
Newest member: Giarc1982

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 6 2010, 01:13 AM   #121
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

If this is intended to be the first film in a new trilogy then I wouldn't be surprised if Brainiac is shown in a flash back or used as a set up for a future film. Much like Ursa, Zod, and Non were in "Superman: The Movie" we didn't actually see them until the second movie. Doomsday I think wouldn't work unless they were using him in a "Death of Superman" film and they already attempted one several times and failed.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:21 AM   #122
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Doomsday I think wouldn't work unless they were using him in a "Death of Superman" film and they already attempted one several times and failed.
I hate Doomsday. Talk about the most boring villain ever. He does nothing but kill. I want my characters to actually be interesting.

The only time he was interesting was on Smallville when the writers made him human and tried to develop the character. He was one of the few things that I liked about the show.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:26 AM   #123
Mr Light
Admiral
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

They should make a Death and Return two parter. First one ends with Doomsday killing him (and he was the creature of Brainiac or something), second one can introduce a couple new Supermen and do Cyborg Superman. First movie could open with Supes failing to save an astronaut crew led by Hank Henshaw, but we don't realize what happened to him until the third act of movie two.
__________________

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:27 AM   #124
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral
 
Bad Bishop's Avatar
 
Location: The Land of Fruits and Nuts
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Except, unlike Lazenby, Routh was actually talented!
Snyder and the studio can be smart and give the role back to Routh. Why waste all kinds of time on yet another talent search? Two years till release seem like a lot of time, but I'm not sure it is for a project like this.
I would love for Routh to come back, but I just don't see it happening. I see Snyder and Nolan doing their own thing. However, if Snyder were to approach Routh about coming back, he would have to audition for a different kind of Superman- I'm sure whatever version of Superman that Snyder and Nolan are planning, that it's going to be different than what Singer had done for Superman Returns.
No problem. We already expect the storyline, production designs and visual style to be quite different. None of these things require a new lead actor.
__________________
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be debunked.
(Paraphrasing Dr. Carl Sagan)
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:29 AM   #125
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I would love for Routh to come back, but I just don't see it happening. I see Snyder and Nolan doing their own thing. However, if Snyder were to approach Routh about coming back, he would have to audition for a different kind of Superman- I'm sure whatever version of Superman that Snyder and Nolan are planning, that it's going to be different than what Singer had done for Superman Returns.
That's what gives me pause. While Batman has the potential for a lot of different interpretations, I think Superman fills a specific heroic archetype. Routh was doing a riff on Christopher Reeve, which is about as perfect as you can get. To move much beyond that is to create something that isn't really Superman.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:36 AM   #126
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I would love for Routh to come back, but I just don't see it happening. I see Snyder and Nolan doing their own thing. However, if Snyder were to approach Routh about coming back, he would have to audition for a different kind of Superman- I'm sure whatever version of Superman that Snyder and Nolan are planning, that it's going to be different than what Singer had done for Superman Returns.
That's what gives me pause. While Batman has the potential for a lot of different interpretations, I think Superman fills a specific heroic archetype. Routh was doing a riff on Christopher Reeve, which is about as perfect as you can get. To move much beyond that is to create something that isn't really Superman.
Well, I see room for a different interpretation than the Reeve/Routh version. That was sort of a Silver Age version of Superman- where Clark Kent was the disguise, and Superman was the real persona- but lately we've seen a sort of reversal where Clark Kent is the real persona and Superman is the disguise. I have a feeling we're going to see that version of Superman in Snyder and Nolan's take.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 02:35 AM   #127
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Centrelea, Nova Scotia
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Dennis wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I threw up a little in my mouth when I heard Snyder use that dreaded word..."modern."
Because, if one looks up from the TV and out the window it's quite apparent that we're living today, not twenty or thirty or forty years ago.

Either do Superman as a real period piece - pre-WW II, to honor the era from which he sprang - or be completely contemporary about it. Or stay home.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
^ Clark is about to get laid off until Superman grants him an interview.
And Lois isn't getting laid at all until Superman grants her an interview.
Clark gets lasik surgery and blows his secret identity.
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 02:57 AM   #128
God Magnus
Commodore
 
God Magnus's Avatar
 
Location: A world where criminals operate above the law...
View God Magnus's Twitter Profile
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I threw up a little in my mouth when I heard Snyder use that dreaded word..."modern."
Maybe he means he'll carry an iPad around to stay in touch with the JLA?
__________________
Benson Yee
Ben's World of Transformers [Toy Reviews, Image galleries, Interviews, News and more!]
God Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 03:04 AM   #129
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I would love for Routh to come back, but I just don't see it happening. I see Snyder and Nolan doing their own thing. However, if Snyder were to approach Routh about coming back, he would have to audition for a different kind of Superman- I'm sure whatever version of Superman that Snyder and Nolan are planning, that it's going to be different than what Singer had done for Superman Returns.
That's what gives me pause. While Batman has the potential for a lot of different interpretations, I think Superman fills a specific heroic archetype. Routh was doing a riff on Christopher Reeve, which is about as perfect as you can get. To move much beyond that is to create something that isn't really Superman.
Well, I see room for a different interpretation than the Reeve/Routh version. That was sort of a Silver Age version of Superman- where Clark Kent was the disguise, and Superman was the real persona- but lately we've seen a sort of reversal where Clark Kent is the real persona and Superman is the disguise. I have a feeling we're going to see that version of Superman in Snyder and Nolan's take.
You might take this as close-minded - and I'm not going to imply that the character can't be played at all in a different way - but I think the essence of the story is that Clark is the disguise. After all, he is an alien. Despite growing up in a human world his powers remind him that he can never fully adapt.

This is a great theme, but Superman Returns dug a huge cavity into this theme, exploring it so much that it forgot that there was still a movie that had to happen.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 03:29 AM   #130
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

I'm not sure I buy the duality of Superman that way. There are ostensible differences between Superman & Clark Kent and one might be closer to a genuine representation of his real personality than the other. However, when you get right down to it, they're the same guy with the same values. It's not like Batman, where the Bruce Wayne persona is deliberately designed to be the exact opposite of Batman. Superman only maintains a secret identity so that Clark Kent can live a normal life in peace.

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I would love for Routh to come back, but I just don't see it happening. I see Snyder and Nolan doing their own thing. However, if Snyder were to approach Routh about coming back, he would have to audition for a different kind of Superman- I'm sure whatever version of Superman that Snyder and Nolan are planning, that it's going to be different than what Singer had done for Superman Returns.
That's what gives me pause. While Batman has the potential for a lot of different interpretations, I think Superman fills a specific heroic archetype. Routh was doing a riff on Christopher Reeve, which is about as perfect as you can get. To move much beyond that is to create something that isn't really Superman.
Well, I see room for a different interpretation than the Reeve/Routh version. That was sort of a Silver Age version of Superman- where Clark Kent was the disguise, and Superman was the real persona- but lately we've seen a sort of reversal where Clark Kent is the real persona and Superman is the disguise. I have a feeling we're going to see that version of Superman in Snyder and Nolan's take.
If that's the difference in directions, then I'm OK with it. Although, I'd think that would be a difference in writing. The end result for the actor would be the same. So other than just trying to establish a different style/continuity, I can't see why Routh wouldn't be viable.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 04:06 AM   #131
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Except, unlike Lazenby, Routh was actually talented!
I'll be curious to go look and see how it ranks in our thread * here but by and large On Her Majesty's Secret Service is widely regarded as one of the top Bond films. That is due to Lazenby as much as anything.

Superman Returns is not regard as highly despite only being 5 films. The best things said about Routh were mostly all genetic based comments, "He sure bears a strong physical resemblence to Reeves." nothing to really do with his acting.


*ranks 6 out of 22, not bad at all
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 09:50 AM   #132
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

^ Though there's been a lot of 'I'd like it even more if Connery had played Bond' sentiment in the thread.

On topic, there are rumours that Aaranofsky didn't want to to it because he didn't like the script and that even Snyder isn't too enamoured of it. Seems Nolan is looking to repeat the Batman Begins hook of his main character wandering the world, preparing to become a hero:

http://www.moviehole.net/201026825-p...erman-revealed
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 11:16 AM   #133
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Which reminds me of the thread that someone came up with last year where they asked the question about a "Superman Begins" style of movie. I saw the story earlier this morning. Interesting if it's proven to be true. I don't mind if they repeat the same story formula used in the two Batman films as long as the actual tone of the movie reflects Superman himself and it isn't dark and gritty.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 11:54 AM   #134
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

^ Batman Begins was supposed to reflect Superman The Movie; an epic, starry origin story. I'm not sure we need another take on that type of tale, especially given how durable Superman:TM has been and given that Smallville covers much the same ground. I'd thought that this movie was supposed to start with an established Superman. That's what I personally would prefer.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 12:21 PM   #135
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Sorry for the double post, but here's a short though interesting analysis of some of the rumours going round

http://chud.com/articles/articles/25...LET/Page1.html
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
man of steel, superman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.