TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2010, 07:07 PM   #91
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Zack Snyder will direct SUPERMAN

Brainiac was mentioned by Nolan back in March as being in the script along with Lex.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:09 PM   #92
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

It is possible that Nolan, Goyer, etc. are saving Brainiac and other villains for future installments. Maybe we'll see Brainiac introduced in this film but not take a full-on role as villain until the sequel. Who knows. We have so little information at this point and General Zod hasn't even been officially confirmed- just mentioned offhand in an article.

I think if we have Luthor and Zod in the first movie, Metallo or some such in the sequel, and then Brainiac in the third film- he is, after all, Superman's big bad and I think saving him is a good idea. Perhaps Nolan and Goyer are planning on using him for the second film, like how they used The Joker for The Dark Knight- who knows at this point.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:15 PM   #93
Jetfire

I do think it is disappointing with Nolan involved that Batman & Superman happen in separate universes...cameos would have been fun.
Old October 5 2010, 07:17 PM   #94
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

The Blur wrote: View Post
I do think it is disappointing with Nolan involved that Batman & Superman happen in separate universes...cameos would have been fun.
Superman would be trying to save someone in Gotham and then Batman would be all pissed off, calling him an "amateur" and telling him that he's done with him professionally.
Old October 5 2010, 07:22 PM   #95
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I don't want to see them use Zod again because I love Terrence Stamp's performance of the character so much. While it may appear campy and outdated by today's standards, I still think it's perfect and do not like the idea of it being reinterpreted. I could be wrong and they could cast and write it brilliantly and surprise me, but this is one of those characters that I just wish would be left alone based on a past performance. Kinda like Gene Wilder in "Willy Wonka and the Chocoloate Factory".

Jack Nicholson's Joker was fun, but I didn't think it was the best portrayal of the character possible, so I was open to seeing a new one. I just don't think anyone can top Stamp's Zod. I loved Frank Gorshin' portrayal of The Riddler and I don't think any version will ever be as loved, but I could see a new interpretation being interesting and satisfying, but Zod doesn't need to be modernized. His performance in 1980 was one for the ages that need not be rehashed in any form.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:36 PM   #96
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I can understand why Nolan an Goyer avoided Joker in the Batman Begins; Joker had been done to death in the past, and they instead focused on something new with Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul.

If this Zod crap pans out, then Nolan and Goyer are only serving to make "Richard Donner Continues Part II". There is absolutely no reason to save Brainiac for later, and it's ridiculous that he hasn't been used in *any* film up until now.

I hope the Zod report is wrong. I don't want to see Zod. At all.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:44 PM   #97
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

At least the slo-mo scenes can be explained away by the character moving at super speed....
Old October 5 2010, 07:45 PM   #98
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I threw up a little in my mouth when I heard Snyder use that dreaded word..."modern."
Because, if one looks up from the TV and out the window it's quite apparent that we're living today, not twenty or thirty or forty years ago.

Either do Superman as a real period piece - pre-WW II, to honor the era from which he sprang - or be completely contemporary about it. Or stay home.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
^ Clark is about to get laid off until Superman grants him an interview.
And Lois isn't getting laid at all until Superman grants her an interview.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:51 PM   #99
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I was very much unimpressed by 300 and Watchman. Both were over stylized and I was not invested in the characters or stories on any level. So I am not happy with this choice at all.

.... So thats my 2 cents. For whatever its worth...
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 07:58 PM   #100
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Garak wrote: View Post
I threw up a little in my mouth when I heard Snyder use that dreaded word..."modern."

MODERN? Why should Superman be MODERN? Great, that's all we need, turning him into a whiny existentialist emo prick. Superman is Superman; he does not, and should not, change. He should always be the idealist Boy Scout we grew up with. He should always be a true hero.
Go back to Russia.
Excuse me?
Old October 5 2010, 08:26 PM   #101
Gojira
Commodore

One positive thing is that this will not be an origin story. Personally, I'm pretty tired of them.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 08:59 PM   #102
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post

MODERN? Why should Superman be MODERN?
Go back to Russia.
Excuse me?
That's Our Garak!
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 09:02 PM   #103
ClayinCA
Commodore

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
One positive thing is that this will not be an origin story. Personally, I'm pretty tired of them.
Has that actually been stated yet? I haven't seen that bit of news anywhere.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 09:18 PM   #104
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I can understand why Nolan an Goyer avoided Joker in the Batman Begins; Joker had been done to death in the past, and they instead focused on something new with Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul.

If this Zod crap pans out, then Nolan and Goyer are only serving to make "Richard Donner Continues Part II". There is absolutely no reason to save Brainiac for later, and it's ridiculous that he hasn't been used in *any* film up until now.

I hope the Zod report is wrong. I don't want to see Zod. At all.
Nolan and Goyer are obviously thinking long-term. I'm sure when they sat down to outline the story for this particular film, like they did for Batman Begins, they outlined not just one film but three. I'm not sure how the Joker had been done to death in the past; his last on-screen appearance before The Dark Knight was 1989's Batman (that is if you're discounting Mask of the Phantasm, but I was referring to live-action and not animation). Nolan probably went for Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow to try and separate Begins from the previous films as much as possible since Batman & Robin put a rather nasty taste in people's mouths.

I think if you use Brainiac in the first film, then any other villain you use for future installments just isn't going to hold up. I don't mean to belittle the Superman mythology, but he doesn't have the best rogue's gallery. Brainiac in many ways is Superman's equivalent to the Joker for Batman. Using him in the first film doesn't make much sense unless you can foreshadow a bigger appearance later. After Brainiac, other threats such as Luthor and Metallo just don't measure up in my opinion. It makes sense to build toward a Brainiac appearance.

Also, Nolan likes to think narrative structure for his films and puts a prominence on story. He has said in the past that he usually comes up with the story first, and then decides which characters best inform that story. That's why the past two Batman films have been so strong because he doesn't cherry pick certain characters and then formulate a story around them; he lets the story inform the characters. If this first chapter of a new Superman on-screen mythology is going to tie into Superman's origins or history at all, it makes sense for the first film to feature General Zod, who has connections to Krypton and Superman's past. I can see why Nolan and Goyer would choose Zod coming out of the gate. It makes sense.

Of course, Zod will probably not be the only villain in the story. I'm sure we'll see Luthor as well with some foreshadowing or cameo appearances from other villains that will later play larger roles in future installments. Nolan likes to create a believable world full of rich characters and judging from his Batman films he doesn't just settle on one villain, but many.
Old October 5 2010, 10:30 PM   #105
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I'd go with Zod/Brainiac then Darkseid and to a lesser extent Doomsday in the sequels.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote