Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2010, 04:52 AM   #31
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I hated that last episode so much. What a terrible series finale. The tone was completely out of sync with the rest of the series. It was so dark (in terms of cinematography and story) and full of boring characters we'd never seen before. The last episode of Xena should have been a joyful event that took advantage of the excellent supporting cast. Instead, we got some pretentious wannabe samurai epic that was a complete failure as an entertainment and wasted its cast of characters. It was sort of like "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was to "Star Trek"...if "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" didn't have any good parts ( it has a few, despite generally being uncomfortably different and less engaging/character-oriented than the series it was supposedly based on).

Much like fans of "Enterprise" prefer to disregard "These are the Voyages..." and think of "Terra Prime" as the series finale, I make "Soul Posession" my personal series finale and will never watch that boring, depressing, joyless, poorly written two parter again. Yeah, "Soul Possession" is one of those jokes of a meta episode where we don't even get the real characters but rather their hokey reincarnated 21st century selves, but it heavily features Ares and ends with Xena, Gabrielle, and Joxer walking off together, happy and feeling all is well and will continue to be in their world. That's good enough for me, and the way it should be.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 12:20 PM   #32
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Yeah, but they never stopped having it both ways *cough*, did they? What with all the hot and lusty hetero sex with hunks like Caesar, Borias and so on, juxtaposed with subtle eroticism of her relationship with Lao Ma; and of course, while the romantic subtext in the Xena/Gabrielle relationship was more and more pronounced as seasons went by, the whole Xena/Ares thing was also becoming more sexual and more in the focus of the show (in season 1, he only seemed interested in her as a warrior, the sexual attraction would only later cross from subtext to the main text). Kind of like a gender-flipped version of the situation from Shakespeare's sonnets. (If you'll excuse the comparison - I don't actually take Xena:WP that seriously.) One of the most famous "lesbian" TV shows of all time wasn't really lesbian, but a very bisexual show.
As someone who isn't familiar with Shakespeare's sonnets, what in the name of Zeus are you talking about?
Shakespeare's sonnets (although maybe not all written with that intention) are structured in the way that suggests that they are about two different love interests (so to speak): 1-126 are supposedly dedicated to the "Fair Youth" and 127-152 to the "Dark Lady". There's one sonnet where he says he has two loves, one is the young man who represents the better part of himself, and the other is the woman who represents his baser nature and the worst parts of himself. Opinions are divided on whether there was an autobiographical background for all that, or if it was just trying to be original and subvert the sonnet conventions, or maybe both at the same time (and it was also possible that the first 126 are just him being sycophantic to his noble benefactor to whom they are thought to be dedicated to, but that's another matter, so nevermind). Traditionally, sonnets were supposed to be about idealized, platonic heterosexual love: the poet expresses his adoration of a woman who is described as fair-haired, beautiful, virtuous, angelic and so on. Shakespeare pretty much does that in the first 126 sonnets, only they're not about the woman, but about a young man (ostensibly his noble benefactor). It basically comes off as homoerotic platonic friendship, but with so many romantic overtones that it seems to go beyond what you'd think of friendship (which has sparked all those academic debates on Shakespeare's sexuality). By contrast, the sonnets about the Dark Lady, while they're about heterosexual love, are far more warped and nontraditional, very sexual and more of a lust/hatred/obsession. Instead of describing how wonderful and virtuous she is, as traditional sonnets do, he describes how awful and immoral she is and how bad she is for him, but how he is irresistibly drawn to her not despite it, but because of it.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; October 6 2010 at 12:42 PM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 05:36 PM   #33
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I would have guessed "Many happy Returns" would be the preferred finale over FIN... but that's just my interpretation.

I did like the finale, but then again I didn't fall in love with these characters over a 6 year period, so I wasn't as emotionally attached as 1st runners would have been. Also, from the Youtube music vid world, I had been spoiled as to what was going to happen in the end, so that probably blunted its impact a fair amount.
JanewayRulz! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 05:44 PM   #34
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I think "Many Happy Returns" and "Soul Possession" both would have worked as finales. I doubt I'd be more emotionally impacted by the series finale if I'd been watching the show from the start. Ultimately I found it to just be a cheap way to try to get feeling out of viewers, it didn't feel natural or necessary, much like the end of "Star Trek: Nemesis".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 06:12 PM   #35
EJA
Fleet Captain

I'm more of a casual fan of the show. There are some episodes I liked, and there are others that I think are terrible and dull. I like Lucy Lawless as Xena, though to be honest, there were times I fancied Renee O'Connor's Gabrielle more.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 06:52 PM   #36
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

"Early years" Gabrielle, or later years?
Old October 6 2010, 07:35 PM   #37
EJA
Fleet Captain

I thought both versions were nice.
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 08:03 PM   #38
Forbin
Admiral

Renee had an amazing metamorphosis through the course of the show. From cute, baby-cheeked kid to beautiful hard-bodied woman. She amazed me in later seasons with her athletic prowess and martial arts skills.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 11:14 PM   #39
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

^^ That's why I wondered which Gabby they preferred over Xena. She really DID become a Warrior Queen in her own right, and not just a sidekick that needed to be rescued all the time. I guess in a way, that was one of the reasons I prefer "Many Happy Returns" over "Soul Possesion" as an alternative finale, because the 2001 (?) version of Gabrielle wasn't the ass kicking Amazon Queen that the ancient version had been.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the producers getting the "right souls" in "the right bodies" in "Soul Possession". Sure it was cute/funny to see a confident Joxster channeling Xena's spirit, but ultimately it was just "wrong".

Edited to add... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKd1U...eature=related

Last edited by JanewayRulz!; October 6 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old October 7 2010, 05:27 PM   #40
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

One more Xena fan here also
I actually watched both Xena and Herculas, but liked the first better..maybe because the stories where bit better and Lucy Lawless was perfectly cast
I am planning to buy the complete series on DVD at some point. It will be fun to watch it after such a long break
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 08:20 PM   #41
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

^^I was fortunate to pick up the 6 seasons along with the 10th anniv set for $116 at Amazon. It had been listed higher, but the day I finally "pulled the trigger" and bought the darn thing it had dropped. I see its back to $122 a box set and its not clear from the current ad if the 10th anniv box comes with it now. Still, when you compare it to the new dvd sets of Voyager that were initally $129 a season... I felt fortunate indeed!
Old October 10 2010, 03:08 AM   #42
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Any suggestions for Xena vids?

I've been sharing a few on the Voyager board to tempt newbies into the fold.

So far I've used...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha824Z6NSpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15uBdlDmS1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_Dh6lSIM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vsJn_xQ9Hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFLr...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NktkF...=29&playnext=1

Any other favs you think could awaken interest in our Warrior Princess?
Old October 10 2010, 04:04 PM   #43
Forbin
Admiral

I've got all the seasons of Xena, but of course there are some key episodes missing because of the occasional crossover to Herc. My ideal boxed set collection would be the entire Callisto and Hope arcs brought together from both shows, in sequence, as one great big adventure.
Old October 10 2010, 04:54 PM   #44
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
I've got all the seasons of Xena, but of course there are some key episodes missing because of the occasional crossover to Herc. My ideal boxed set collection would be the entire Callisto and Hope arcs brought together from both shows, in sequence, as one great big adventure.
Plus add the modern day clip shows from Hercules, they're wonderful!
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 03:53 AM   #45
Forbin
Admiral

saturn5 wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Plus add the modern day clip shows from Hercules, they're wonderful!
No, they're not part of the Callisto/Hope arc. I want to watch that story straight thru, period.