Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 4 2010, 06:23 PM   #16
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I was a huge XENA fan during its original run, and even wrote an entire book on the series (now sadly out of print). As much as I like BUFFY, XENA was there first and I sometimes wish it got more credit for that.

As for "Married With Fishsticks," I actually saw that episode for the first time at lesbian bar in the East Village during its monthly "Xena Night."

It wasn't a big hit.
I think the titillation factor of Xena in her huge breastplated armor probably had a lot to do with not getting the credit. Strange to admit that even though I am a big fan of Voyager's "Seven of Nine" and Enterprise's T'Pol despite their catsuits, for some reason I wasn't ready to give Xena the time of day.

Then we had that thread this summer and I started to look at her in a different light. After listening to a few cons with Lucy and Renee, I realized they loved their characters as much as Mulgrew loved Janeway, and I decided to take the plunge based on their confidence.

Glad I did.

Fishsticks, not withstanding.
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I sometimes wonder if selling the rerun rights to Oxygen was a mistake. How many fans really watch Oxygen? As a result, the show kind of disappeared from sight and people forgot about it. A shame, since the show was a huge phenomenon in its prime.

And, yeah, the XENA conventions used to be a lot of fun. I attended several of them when I was promoting my book. I even managed to catch Lucy Lawless during her run in GREASE!
Old October 4 2010, 10:33 PM   #18
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

I haven't watched much of both shows but on occasion it was quite entertaining in its camp factor.

Average actors (at best), bland writing for the most part and unconvincing special effects all mount up to a camp show but it embraced its style and that made it fun apparently for many people.

What i find interesting is how many actors you instantly recognize having been on the show like Karl Urban and Bruce Campbell and that apparently Xena has a huge following amongst lesbians (wonder why ).

It was a nice thing but strictly speaking not the best show.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 10:43 PM   #19
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I was a huge XENA fan during its original run, and even wrote an entire book on the series (now sadly out of print). As much as I like BUFFY, XENA was there first and I sometimes wish it got more credit for that.
Well, to be fair, Buffy - the show - was based on the (very bad) movie from 1992, 3 years before Xena started...

Besides, Buffy - the show - was essentially more about the horrors and dangers of things like high school, college, growing up, relationships, and real life in general... while Xena, well, wasn't - it was very escapist, even though it did deal with some of the similar themes like violence and redemption.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 11:26 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Perhaps. But it sometimes seems like whenever TV GUIDE or USA TODAY or whomever does an article on female action heroes, they always cite BUFFY as the forerunner who started it all. And whenever a new tv show does a special musical episode, BUFFY gets referenced--even though, again, "The Bitter Suite" predates "Once More With Feeling."

What's a Warrior Princess gotta do to get a little respect?
Old October 5 2010, 03:13 AM   #21
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Oh Greg, Amazon has links to new and used versions of your "Irreverent" Xena. http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Unautho...1&sr=1-1-fkmr2

Another Xena tome, this one by Robert Weisbrot, "The official guide to the xenaverse" is explorable online and the pages on Lucy's casting as Xena are just (to me) unbelievable. http://www.amazon.com/Xena-Warrior-P...der_0385491360 The part I especially like, is how Lucy tried out for Hippolyta in "Hercules & the Amazon Women", only to have the role be handed to Roma Downey (of "Touched by an Angel" fame) while she was relegated to the Queen's "henchman". The author quotes one of the producers with being so impressed by her "magnestism and menace" when he saw Lucy striding about in the dailies, that he told the sound techies to make it sound like she was walking in heavy boots, no matter what she wore. I also like how Zeus describes Lucy (in her first Amazon role).... "this one is all fire!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2MI...eature=related

Her next Hercules role evidently was quite different, and David Eick was hot to have her play Xena but still his fellow producers balked and handed the job to Vanessa Angel (They didn't want a "foreigner" to play Xena, so they went with a Brit instead???) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0029502/ but she literally dropped out at the last moment and the producers were forced to go with Lawless for the Xena character in the Hercules trilogy. Thank the gods!

Shades of Kate Mulgrew replacing Bujold after major filming started on Voyager! (Yes I DO have to relate everything I do in relation to Janeway. Its in the contract I signed when I picked this name. )
Old October 5 2010, 03:23 AM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the plug. For the record, I also contributed a short story, "Bard and Breakfast," to a paperback anthology titled THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF XENA, WARRIOR PRINCESS.

One of my lasting regrets is that I never got a chance to write a full-length XENA novel, but at least I managed to squeeze in a short story . . . .
Old October 5 2010, 04:32 AM   #23
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

^^ Very kewl!
Old October 5 2010, 02:55 PM   #24
Forbin
Admiral

For everyone's amusement, I present my timeline chart showing when people and events mentioned in Xena or Herc actually lived or occurred. From this we can determine the exact time period Xena lived - somewhere between 1250BC and 1227 AD.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 03:04 PM   #25
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
For everyone's amusement, I present my timeline chart showing when people and events mentioned in Xena or Herc actually lived or occurred. From this we can determine the exact time period Xena lived - somewhere between 1250BC and 1227 AD.
I think when it comes to historical accuracy Xena doesn't really worry about it too much

Yeah, without Xena I don't think we'd have had Buffy. The shows appreciate that and even reference one another. One theory is even that Callisto is the Slayer of her age which allows her to fight effectively against demi-god Xena
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 08:07 PM   #26
Forbin
Admiral

saturn5 wrote: View Post

I think when it comes to historical accuracy Xena doesn't really worry about it too much
Ya think?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 09:01 PM   #27
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

I watched Xena religiously from S1 all the way to the end. Someone mentioned up in this thread that the tone of the show shifted a lot, and I think that was part of the enjoyment. I think it's a bit jarring if you watch the episodes back to back on a DVD, but if you only saw it once a week, it was kind of fun having a dramatic ep one week, then a silly ep the next at times.

I spent a good chunk of the 90's crushing on Lucy and Renee and was very happy to see Lawless have something of a career after the show. Seeing familiar faces pop up nowadays who were on that show also makes me smile.

I was very unhappy with how the show ended. It's not so much the story but rather how rapidly it happened. It all felt very forced and not organic at all. It is funny to think however that in the "canon" of Xena (which let's face it, can be considered fast and loose in some respects) she might still exist in "our" age!
Old October 5 2010, 09:44 PM   #28
saturn5
Fleet Captain

God Magnus wrote: View Post
I watched Xena religiously from S1 all the way to the end. Someone mentioned up in this thread that the tone of the show shifted a lot, and I think that was part of the enjoyment. I think it's a bit jarring if you watch the episodes back to back on a DVD, but if you only saw it once a week, it was kind of fun having a dramatic ep one week, then a silly ep the next at times.

I spent a good chunk of the 90's crushing on Lucy and Renee and was very happy to see Lawless have something of a career after the show. Seeing familiar faces pop up nowadays who were on that show also makes me smile.

I was very unhappy with how the show ended. It's not so much the story but rather how rapidly it happened. It all felt very forced and not organic at all. It is funny to think however that in the "canon" of Xena (which let's face it, can be considered fast and loose in some respects) she might still exist in "our" age!
Yeah we used to have what we called YAXI (Yet Another Xena Inaccuracy)

Remember not only do we have Xena's descendants/reincarnations running around the modern world we also have her and Gabby's clones plus the reincarnations of all the other characters working for Renaissance Pictures AND Ares and Herc (and presumably Aphrodite, Bliss etc) in the modern world.

I thought Friend in Need was a good ending although when the camera pulls back and you see Gabby standing on the deck sailing off into the sunset alone....
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 01:52 AM   #29
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Yeah, but they never stopped having it both ways *cough*, did they? What with all the hot and lusty hetero sex with hunks like Caesar, Borias and so on, juxtaposed with subtle eroticism of her relationship with Lao Ma; and of course, while the romantic subtext in the Xena/Gabrielle relationship was more and more pronounced as seasons went by, the whole Xena/Ares thing was also becoming more sexual and more in the focus of the show (in season 1, he only seemed interested in her as a warrior, the sexual attraction would only later cross from subtext to the main text). Kind of like a gender-flipped version of the situation from Shakespeare's sonnets. (If you'll excuse the comparison - I don't actually take Xena:WP that seriously.) One of the most famous "lesbian" TV shows of all time wasn't really lesbian, but a very bisexual show.
As someone who isn't familiar with Shakespeare's sonnets, what in the name of Zeus are you talking about?

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Well, to be fair, Buffy - the show - was based on the (very bad) movie from 1992, 3 years before Xena started...

Besides, Buffy - the show - was essentially more about the horrors and dangers of things like high school, college, growing up, relationships, and real life in general... while Xena, well, wasn't - it was very escapist, even though it did deal with some of the similar themes like violence and redemption.
I'd agree with that. Plus, the writing on Buffy was just stronger. The humor was funnier and the mixture of comedy & drama was more fluid & natural.

Thanks for the plug. For the record, I also contributed a short story, "Bard and Breakfast," to a paperback anthology titled THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF XENA, WARRIOR PRINCESS.

One of my lasting regrets is that I never got a chance to write a full-length XENA novel, but at least I managed to squeeze in a short story . . . .
It's a shame that they aren't writing any new Xena novels. Heck, it's a shame that most of these franchises aren't able to maintain their tie-in novels once the series is done. (Star Trek & Star Wars are the only ones that kept it going for the long haul. There have been some decent spurts of Indiana Jones & James Bond books. Doctor Who kept the flame alive very well during the drought from 1989-2005. Unfortunately, ever since the show came back, they stopped doing novels with any of the previous Doctors.)
Old October 6 2010, 01:59 AM   #30
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

saturn5 wrote: View Post
God Magnus wrote: View Post

Yeah we used to have what we called YAXI (Yet Another Xena Inaccuracy)

Remember not only do we have Xena's descendants/reincarnations running around the modern world we also have her and Gabby's clones plus the reincarnations of all the other characters working for Renaissance Pictures AND Ares and Herc (and presumably Aphrodite, Bliss etc) in the modern world.

I thought Friend in Need was a good ending although when the camera pulls back and you see Gabby standing on the deck sailing off into the sunset alone....
You need to watch the extended version of FIN, friend. The director CORRECTED that in the director's cut, so the last we see of them, they are together on the boat. They also put in several cut scenes & lengthened others to make things more understandable.

Speaking as someone who did sit down and watch things back to back, I liked the extreme swings from drama to comedy, especially when they went too slapstick (Fishsticks) and I could speed through the ep and wash its taste out of my mouth with the next one immediately after.

As for our 2 women existing in "our age", I didn't exactly like the retelling of the Gabrielle story in "Soul Possession", but I did very much appreciate the fact that they finally got Xena out of Joxster's body and Joxster out of Xena's body..... (You know, that line sounds soooo wrong on soooo many levels, ) It seemed such a cheat to finally get the two of them together after 2000 years, and yet still not have "them" together.

Edited to add a cute video.... Xena 3000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4U_u1_JKk I love the line about "your great, great, great grandaughter."

Regarding the "rushed aspect", I didn't notice it so much, since I was watching "back to back" and everything felt rushed. I do have to dispute something I read somewhere... perhaps Whoosh? The columnist felt there was no "theme" to season 6, as there had been 1-5, but I disagree. Season 6 seemed to cement (for me) that these two were not just good friends, they indeed were a couple. There were many allusions to that fact throughout the season, the trilogy of the Rheingold being the most serious as Xena faced competition from both Beowolfe and Brunhilde, the funniest being the interaction Xena and the Virgin sacrifice in "Many Happy Returns" (She falls against Xena's breasts and Xena says, "Whoa, these are spoken for.) and the most poignant being in that same ep, when Gabrielle reads the Sappho poem.