RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,424
Posts: 5,506,743
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 571
Newest member: wilpatbenthe3

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 4 2010, 04:28 AM   #1
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I must admit, I rarely watched Hercules' LJ's in the 90's and never watched Xena:WP. It may have been a snob thing, more likely a lack of reception thing (TV before the satellite dish came was pretty hit or miss where I grew up), but Xena never made it on my viewing list.

This summer, I started a topic about strong female characters from the 1990's in the Voy forum, and got quite an education from a fellow poster. So much so that I picked up all 6 seasons and plowed through them this fall.

Except for a few stinkers ("Married with Fishsticks" comes unwelcome to my mind even as I type) I have to say that I'm impressed.

Anyone else watch it in first run/or on reruns and have any thoughts they'd like to share?
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

Neither Xena or Hercules gets talked about much on here, but the odd time when a topic does pop up the show gets a lot of love. Hercules a bit less so.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of both shows. I'll always think of them as the prototype Buffy and Angel; a little rough around the edges, but with fantastic characters and the perfect balance between comedy and drama. Xena lost my interest in the 6th season after the time skip, but for the most part it was an excellent show. Hercules never hit the heights that Xena hit, but it never got as bad as Xena either.

JanewayRulz! wrote:
Except for a few stinkers ("Married with Fishsticks" comes unwelcome to my mind even as I type) I have to say that I'm impressed.
If you hated Married With Fishsticks, you might enjoy this video by Obscurus Lupa of That Guy With the Glasses fame.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...ith-fishsticks
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I watched both shows and enjoyed them a lot. I like Xena more (naturally) but they were both well done shows. Although with Xena it did bother me from time to time on the tone of the show. Sometimes they would have a serious and dark episode and then they would have light hearted campy episodes.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Too Much Fun
Commodore
 
Too Much Fun's Avatar
 
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I'm a bit of Xena fan. I only watched it sporadically when it was still on the air, but in recent years I've gone back and watched selected episodes from all the seasons chronologically more than once, and I'm making a yearly tradition out of that. What makes the show tough to watch is how all over the place the tone is, which leads to some frustrating inconsistency. As a character said on the show in one of its many meta episodes, "you never know what to expect, because one week it's melodrama, the next week it's slapstick/three stooges". Sometimes that's a virtue, and sometimes that's annoying. The show walks a fine line. There are some episodes where I find the drama genuinely moving or the comedy hilarious and clever, and then there are others where the intense emotion on display is so corny it infuriates me, and the comedy is so cheap and forced, iI find it pathetic.

Still, I truly cherish my favourite episodes, and think on the rare occasions where they get the comedy and drama just right, it's brilliant. I just wish I liked more episodes...not just a select few from every season. I can't even pick a favourite season, because I think they're all pretty much 50/50 between great and lame episodes. One thing that consistently ruled on the show was its cast...especially supporting roles. I loved Ted Raimi's work (although his one-note buffonary was tiresome at times) and I could almost always be sure to have a blast when Bruce Campbell, Karl Urban, or Alexandra Tydings got to play their recurring roles.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I loved Xena more so than Herc, although the crossover episodes were a blast. I made a list of my favourite 60 or so episodes and plan to watch them all next year.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 12:28 PM   #6
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I never watched it with much regularity but I liked a lot of the episodes I saw. I liked it when it did comedy. But whenever it got super serious and went back to Xena's checkered past, I checked out quick! It was around the time she got her legs broken that I realized I would never love the series.

I also discovered that I wasn't a huge fan of Xena herself. I preferred Gabrielle, Joxer, & Autolycus.

I miss those heydays of first run syndication, when I could curl up on the couch with a solid double feature of Xena & Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

Big fan here. A show like Xena has got to be a great gig for an actor - look at the range Lucy and Rene got to play over the years!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

Forbin wrote: View Post
Big fan here. A show like Xena has got to be a great gig for an actor - look at the range Lucy and Rene got to play over the years!
What was hilarious was that as soon as the writers cottoned on to the lesbian vibe, in their own words, they "milked it for all it was worth"
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 01:53 PM   #9
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

i liked them, but they got the shaft from channel 5 and i never saw all of them...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 03:10 PM   #10
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

Loved them, and have both series on dvd. Hopefully someday the rights to Young Hercules get settled and that will come out too. Also have Jack of All Trades, which may as well be a spin-off. Not so much into that Cleopatra 2525, though.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 03:12 PM   #11
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral
 
DevilEyes's Avatar
 
Location: basking in the warmth of the Fire Caves
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Big fan here. A show like Xena has got to be a great gig for an actor - look at the range Lucy and Rene got to play over the years!
What was hilarious was that as soon as the writers cottoned on to the lesbian vibe, in their own words, they "milked it for all it was worth"
Yeah, but they never stopped having it both ways *cough*, did they? What with all the hot and lusty hetero sex with hunks like Caesar, Borias and so on, juxtaposed with subtle eroticism of her relationship with Lao Ma; and of course, while the romantic subtext in the Xena/Gabrielle relationship was more and more pronounced as seasons went by, the whole Xena/Ares thing was also becoming more sexual and more in the focus of the show (in season 1, he only seemed interested in her as a warrior, the sexual attraction would only later cross from subtext to the main text). Kind of like a gender-flipped version of the situation from Shakespeare's sonnets. (If you'll excuse the comparison - I don't actually take Xena:WP that seriously.) One of the most famous "lesbian" TV shows of all time wasn't really lesbian, but a very bisexual show.
__________________
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
saturn5
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
I must admit, I rarely watched Hercules' LJ's in the 90's and never watched Xena:WP. It may have been a snob thing, more likely a lack of reception thing (TV before the satellite dish came was pretty hit or miss where I grew up), but Xena never made it on my viewing list.

This summer, I started a topic about strong female characters from the 1990's in the Voy forum, and got quite an education from a fellow poster. So much so that I picked up all 6 seasons and plowed through them this fall.

Except for a few stinkers ("Married with Fishsticks" comes unwelcome to my mind even as I type) I have to say that I'm impressed.

Anyone else watch it in first run/or on reruns and have any thoughts they'd like to share?
God yes, loved my Xena (only ever watched Hercules when they did clip shows or had Xena characters on it). My favourite show until Buffy came along.
I like Married with Fishsticks but then I always had a thing for Discord. I envy you being to able to watch them virgin
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 03:51 PM   #13
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral
 
JanewayRulz!'s Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

saturn5 wrote: View Post
JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
I must admit, I rarely watched Hercules' LJ's in the 90's and never watched Xena:WP. It may have been a snob thing, more likely a lack of reception thing (TV before the satellite dish came was pretty hit or miss where I grew up), but Xena never made it on my viewing list.

This summer, I started a topic about strong female characters from the 1990's in the Voy forum, and got quite an education from a fellow poster. So much so that I picked up all 6 seasons and plowed through them this fall.

Except for a few stinkers ("Married with Fishsticks" comes unwelcome to my mind even as I type) I have to say that I'm impressed.

Anyone else watch it in first run/or on reruns and have any thoughts they'd like to share?
God yes, loved my Xena (only ever watched Hercules when they did clip shows or had Xena characters on it). My favourite show until Buffy came along.
I like Married with Fishsticks but then I always had a thing for Discord. I envy you being to able to watch them virgin
What an interesting term for such a show. Actually, i was spoiled somewhat by the youtube vids I was watching, trying to decide if I wanted to sink money into the set. It was fun whenever I would see a scene I recognized from the vids, and finally get to put it into context.
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 05:00 PM   #14
John Clark
Commodore
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

More a fan of Xena than Hercules. I recently got the complete series of XWP on dvd and it's fun
__________________
If there's a justification for my actions right now, it's this: I have gone completely mad
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Any Xena:WP fans on the boards?

I was a huge XENA fan during its original run, and even wrote an entire book on the series (now sadly out of print). As much as I like BUFFY, XENA was there first and I sometimes wish it got more credit for that.

As for "Married With Fishsticks," I actually saw that episode for the first time at lesbian bar in the East Village during its monthly "Xena Night."

It wasn't a big hit.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
guilt, hero, love, redemption

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.