Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade "Let Me In"?
A+ 3 33.33%
A 3 33.33%
A- 0 0%
B+ 1 11.11%
B 1 11.11%
B- 0 0%
C+ 0 0%
C 0 0%
C- 0 0%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2 2010, 08:35 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: "Let Me In" - Discussion & Grading

Stalkers wrote: View Post
Lets face it, films like this are remade because a lot of people just won't watch films with subtitles or that don't star Americans. With that in mind I'd rather they did a faithful adaptation than a different version, but as someone who isn't averse to subtitles or films not starring Americans it just doesn't really appeal to me.
I see this a lot as if the DVD doesn't have dubbing. I watched it subtitled but it's not like you have to.

I am curious about this one but I don't know about seeing it at the theater.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 08:38 PM   #17
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Go see it. Why wouldn't you go see it? It's terrific. Yes, I'm cheerleading. I love atmospheric, moody dark shit.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I guess because I've sort of seen it already
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 08:42 PM   #19
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Fair enough. I hadn't.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old October 2 2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Dream
Admiral

I saw the original last year on DVD. I heard this remake is pretty much the exact same as the original. I have a hard time believing that the American cast is better than the first.

But I might check it out eventually since I liked Chloë Moretz in Kick-Ass.

Dorian, you should definately check out the original, Let the Right One In. It's great. But make sure you get the dvd version with the fixed subtitles.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/24/...ing-exchanges/

Last edited by Dream; October 2 2010 at 11:55 PM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 11:41 PM   #21
Starkers
Admiral

I think if I hadn't watched the other one about 10 months ago I might have been more interested in seeing the US version. If they'd at least waited 5 or so years it would have been worth seeing.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 06:30 AM   #22
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Robot Devil wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
I'd be interested to see if they retain one particular element from the original
I saw this last night (and the original a few weeks ago.)

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I just got home from seeing it at a before noon matinee. Oklahoma City is like a ghost town; everyone must have driven to Dallas. Why are there spoiler boxes in a discussion and grading thread?
Well, I posted the thread before the movie opened, so I thought spoiler boxes might be appropriate.
SPOILER SPACE:

/
/

Who knows how long she's been doing it? I can't believe I didn't immediately grasp that the dorky little boy in glasses in the photos with her was her first protector.
/
/
/
/
/
Yes, I thought that was an interesting aspect; and then the cycle begins anew with Owen. I wondered if that was the case with her guardian in the original film, but it didn't really provide an answer as to the nature of their relationship.

Apparently, in the original novel, however, her guardian was simply a pedophile that she picked up fairly recently.

Stalkers wrote: View Post
I think if I hadn't watched the other one about 10 months ago I might have been more interested in seeing the US version. If they'd at least waited 5 or so years it would have been worth seeing.
Yeah, I understand what your saying -- I think that was part of the problem I had while watching it. I saw the original less than two years ago, and it's still pretty fresh in my mind. As such, this one probably lost a bit of its impact for me.

Oh, and don't forget to grade the film in the poll if you've seen it!
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 06:37 AM   #23
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Her protector in the film may not have been her first protector. Who knows how long the cycle's been repeating? I haven't read the novel either, so the speculation intrigued. If she truly can't remember when she was born or how old she really is--how old is she? The entire film intrigued. I didn't realize what a mind fuck it was until it was over and I realized that I'd watched a little boy consign himself to a lonely, horrific fate and he was smiling--completely unaware of the loneliness and emptiness in store once he becomes a teen, a young man and finally a middle aged man whose whole life is consumed by the care of his "charge" whom he's outgrown, at least physically. No chance to get married or have a family of his own. He thinks he's escaped the loneliness and isolation of his life, but he's only traded one form of loneliness for another.

Total manipulation on her part. Why "leave" and then come back to save him?

Old October 3 2010, 04:13 PM   #24
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Her protector in the film may not have been her first protector. Who knows how long the cycle's been repeating? I haven't read the novel either, so the speculation intrigued. If she truly can't remember when she was born or how old she really is--how old is she? The entire film intrigued. I didn't realize what a mind fuck it was until it was over and I realized that I'd watched a little boy consign himself to a lonely, horrific fate and he was smiling--completely unaware of the loneliness and emptiness in store once he becomes a teen, a young man and finally a middle aged man whose whole life is consumed by the care of his "charge" whom he's outgrown, at least physically. No chance to get married or have a family of his own. He thinks he's escaped the loneliness and isolation of his life, but he's only traded one form of loneliness for another.

Total manipulation on her part. Why "leave" and then come back to save him?
Yeah, that's just the kind of story it is. It seems sweet and romantic on the surface but she has completely doomed him and he is happy about it. She prodded him to fight back to find out if he had violence in him. And now she's killed for him, so he is indebted to do the same for her. It all seems like expert manipulation on her part, belied by her childlike appearance.
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 10:52 PM   #25
cultcross
Say my name...

Dream wrote: View Post
I saw the original last year on DVD. I heard this remake is pretty much the exact same as the original. I have a hard time believing that the American cast is better than the first.

But I might check it out eventually since I liked Chloë Moretz in Kick-Ass.
I feel the same way - I was a big fan of the original, and for me part of what made it so spooky was the foreign setting, language I didn't understand, and totally unknown (to me) cast.
I'll probably check out the new one eventually, because as you say Moretz was great in Kick Ass, but I'm worried it will slightly spoil the story having that added 'alieness' taken away.
Old October 5 2010, 07:00 AM   #26
Daneel
Rear Admiral

So little activity in this thread... Did no one go see the movie over the weekend?

>Checks box office results<

Huh, I guess not.

It's kind of a shame that it bombed, though. Despite my issues with it being too similar to the original, I thought it was a very strong film overall. Besides, a lot of North Americans aren't going to bother watching a foreign film with subtitles, which is too bad, but this version is essentially the same story in English, and as such, it's a reasonably decent substitute.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 04:29 PM   #27
Sabataage
Commander

I saw and loved the original movie (to the point where I made sure and waited to buy the DVD with the original theatrical subtitles) and I saw the remake over the weekend, as well. Let Me In was great. It was a great story then, and it's a great story now. In fact I'm curious to see it again with a fresh mind. I kept being remided of scenes or lines of dialogue (or shots) from the original and comparing the two in my head like it was a test.

While Chloe Moretz couldn't shake my memory her predecessor, Leana Leanderssson, she did an excellent job (as usual). Kodi Smit-McPhee as Owen is tremedous, and I would argue, an improvement over the original (gasp! outrage!). Richard Jenkin's as Abby's "Father" is (predictably) amazing. Matt Reeves makes notable changes and additions to the film that up the suspense and horror while still following emotional beats of the original. It makes me look forward to his future directing work for sure.
Sabataage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2010, 04:45 PM   #28
Pingfah
Admiral

I got the original a few months back on Blu Ray, really enjoyed it. The presiding opinion seems to be that this is a competent remake that attempts to emulate the original very closely.

As such I don't think I can be bothered.
Old October 7 2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

A.

Creepy and well acted.

Never saw the original movie.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 03:31 AM   #30
Sabataage
Commander

Here's a deleted scene from Let Me In via /Film that includes additional commentary from director Matt Reeves explaining why he had to cut it.

Interesting, the scene contains two blink-and-you'll-miss-it shots from the trailer that weren't in the movie: An evil face looking straight at the camera's POV and a close-up of Chloe Moretz screaming while pinned to the floor. It's quite haunting and beautiful shot, like the rest of the movie.

"Be me... for a little while."
Sabataage is offline   Reply With Quote