The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 28 2010, 02:02 AM   #1
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
"Clues"

I love this episode. Watched it a few minutes ago, as a matter of fact. I have a question, though. When the crew made the second attempt to cover their tracks, how did they resolve the issue of time disparity between the "30 seconds" of ship time and the 48+ hour difference in time when compared to information updates from a Federation beacon, between what they remember and now? (24 hours for the initial incident, and I'm figuring 24 hours for the second, with a few hours in between while they investigated what was going on).
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 05:10 AM   #2
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: "Clues"

What I don't understand is why the time disparity issue came up in the first place. Why was it so important for them to have been only out for 30 seconds? Why couldn't Data have just said that the crew was unconscious for a day and not have the mystery?

Did it have to do with their supposedly going through the wormhole or something, therefore it was only supposed to be a short distance? Maybe it's really obvious and I am dumb.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I don't get the 30 seconds either. Even a couple of hours would help the credibility of the situation, but 30 seconds? That doesn't make sense.
Old September 28 2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

The idea of time distortion was mentioned a couple times during the episode, such as when Riker said they were lucky they didn't end up across the galaxy in the middle of next week. I always assumed that they would have chalked up the difference between the ship's chronometer and official Starfleet time to distortions caused by the wormhole. But for them to have been unconscious much longer than the imaginary 30 seconds would have caused questions, since Data was supposedly unaffected and, as we saw, knew exactly what to do to revive them. Without the complication of a hostile force, 30 seconds must have been the approximate time it would have taken Data to analyze the problem and initiate the solution.

Although the precision of the 30-second response always bothered me a little. I thought Data should have either said something like "32 seconds" or estimated and said "about 30 seconds." After all, the crew spent a couple seconds in semi-consciousness on their way in and out.
Old September 28 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I always hated this episode. I even had a thread about it recently. No way they can "get it right," as Picard said, because the things that went wrong were things that happen naturally, over the course of 24 hours like the samples or beards growing. It's not a tight story at all, though it pretends to be.
Old September 28 2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Snaploud
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I always hated this episode. I even had a thread about it recently. No way they can "get it right," as Picard said, because the things that went wrong were things that happen naturally, over the course of 24 hours like the samples or beards growing. It's not a tight story at all, though it pretends to be.
I don't buy your logic. New samples can always be planted. Beards can be manipulated. Anything that triggered questioning the first time around can always be altered for the second go-around. You don't have to remove every scrap of possible evidence. You just have to remove the things that triggered an investigation the first go-around.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Sakrysta wrote: View Post
The idea of time distortion was mentioned a couple times during the episode, such as when Riker said they were lucky they didn't end up across the galaxy in the middle of next week. I always assumed that they would have chalked up the difference between the ship's chronometer and official Starfleet time to distortions caused by the wormhole. But for them to have been unconscious much longer than the imaginary 30 seconds would have caused questions, since Data was supposedly unaffected and, as we saw, knew exactly what to do to revive them. Without the complication of a hostile force, 30 seconds must have been the approximate time it would have taken Data to analyze the problem and initiate the solution.

Although the precision of the 30-second response always bothered me a little. I thought Data should have either said something like "32 seconds" or estimated and said "about 30 seconds." After all, the crew spent a couple seconds in semi-consciousness on their way in and out.
Ah, that makes sense. I forgot about the whole time distortion issue (which is sad because I had just watched it when I made the initial post). I do like this episode, and consider it among my top 10. I love a good mystery.
Old September 28 2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

That's a really good explanation.

This episode is one of my favorites, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

"Clues" is one of the first episodes I ever saw, so I remember it with great fondness. I remember being hugely creeped out by Troi's scene of seeing something else behind her eyes in the mirror. *gleeful shudder*
Old September 29 2010, 06:09 AM   #10
Mojochi
Commodore

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I don't buy your logic. New samples can always be planted. Beards can be manipulated. Anything that triggered questioning the first time around can always be altered for the second go-around. You don't have to remove every scrap of possible evidence. You just have to remove the things that triggered an investigation the first go-around.
That's the ticket, right there. too many people get obsessed with the notion that they could never perfectly cover their tracks. They don't have to. They need only remove the majority of conditions that brought about suspicion. The average group of people doesn't go around looking for every possible conspiracy, unless instigated by abnormalities
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2010, 06:21 AM   #11
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Clearly the average group of people you're talking about doesn't include the people I deal with at work. I'm in somewhat of an IT capacity, and I swear the minute -any- exception occurs, even as they acknowledge it's insignificant, they practically demand I launch a full investigation even if there's absolutely no impact on us.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Willieck
Commander

Work? work?..... Ah yes I remember work (just)

The Higherrrrrr, the fewerrrrrr.
Willieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2010, 03:09 AM   #13
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

"Clues" is one of the first episodes I ever saw, so I remember it with great fondness. I remember being hugely creeped out by Troi's scene of seeing something else behind her eyes in the mirror. *gleeful shudder*
Agreed. That scene was sufficiently creepy.
Old September 30 2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Alrik
Rear Admiral

After following this thread for the last couple of days, ironically Clues just happened to be on last night. With everything that has been pointed out, it allowed me to pick up on a couple of things that I had never noticed before.

After their first trip through the 'wormhole' when Picard asks how long they were out, Data does say "Approximately 30 seconds." However, on the redo, his answer is "30 seconds sir". Which leads to a more interesting observation. Initially Picard is still full of questions and orders that they reverse heading back towards the Class M planet. This time Data suggests that doing so could put the Enterprise at further risk. Riker then suggests that they could send a probe and Date litterally cuts him off saying that it would certainly be sufficient. This leads to one of those Patrick Stewart moments. While giving Data a stare his eyes go from kind of a 'what the hell is up with you?' to an 'oh shit' look in a matter of 2 seconds. He replies with "Make it so. And put out a hazzard advisory to Starfleet."

So now I'm left to wonder after watching this ep for the 'umpteenth' time, was Picard left with at least some knowledge of the repercussions they would face should they go back?
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

There is just too much crap like this that you have to rationalize later that keeps me from embracing this episode. Sure, I would love to see a similar written episode, with Data committing treason to protect the crew, but I think they needed to redo the whole script