RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,732
Posts: 5,432,762
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 458
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 14 2010, 01:02 PM   #271
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

The sloppiness of this season can be redeemed if they actually use it to fuel the plot. Dexter was careless even within the unlikely confines of the show's premise. All these things he did wrong or badly this year would be the perfect fuel for a reveal next season.

Having Lumen 'cured' was lame, no real argument against that. Having her remain damaged but refusing to go down that path any further, trying to drag Dexter with her out of the dark as he deals with coming under increased suspicion from all his fuckups this year and the slow boil of pressure from his 'dark passenger'. . . that would be a good story, especially if it reveals him in the end and sets up a final blowout season. .
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 01:11 PM   #272
Tulin
Vice Admiral
 
Location: With the most wonderful man in the world!
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Canadave wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
Sloppy writing this season and I rolled my eyes at the car crash deus ex machina(was I supposed to be impressed?)to get Dexter into Jordan's clutches. This show USED TO BE better than that and besides, anybody watching Dexter is beyond the hick yokel type that is going to exclaim, "Oooooo lookit that Tullulah-Belle - they done made a VEE-HICK-EL go WHAMMO!!!!"
Deus ex machina? You need to look up the definition of that term. We saw the digger that Dexter ran into when Jordan was headed into the camp, and Jordan knew he would be in a hurry, so I thought it was fairly obviously implied that Jordan moved it into a place where it would be hard to spot until it was too late.

Overall, however, the episode was definitely a letdown, and I can't help but feel that the show will be seriously spinning its wheels next year. I think they're going to need to seriously shake things up early on if they want to keep it compelling.

That said, overall season 5 is still stronger than season 3.
Holy fuck if I went on a rave every time some ignoramus posted "could of", "had of" or "I liked it better THEN...." or, the worst offender "I could care less..." that's ALL I'd be doing on the damned boards!!! I post ONE inappropriate use of a latin term and some pedant calls me on it!

Yeah, yeah I know what a deus ex machina is. I was just trying to find the nearest term.....I guess what I really meant was "convenient plot device".
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 01:26 PM   #273
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore
 
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Well, it wasn't great, but I find it funny that people say "let Dexter go out on a good note, this is a great season", then "I'm never watching again" in the span of a week. It wasn't THAT bad.

I know a lot of you (I can't do it personally, my imagination is lame), sit around and think up how shows are going to end episodes or years in advance, and when it actually comes time for season finales, there's something awesome built up in your head that makes anything that airs seem lame.

Everybody wanted Deb to find out this season, so now that she hasn't, the season is the worst ever?
I do think that Season 5 was probably the weakest so far. This hasn't much to do with Deb not finding out about Dexter to do though. Not per se anyway.

As far as Deb/Dexter are concerned, I don't mind so much that Dexter managed to keep his secret... I do mind that it was done in a very lame "WTF??" kind of way. Which of course contributes to the overall lameness of this season.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 01:54 PM   #274
Apophis
Fleet Captain
 
Apophis's Avatar
 
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

I got the impression (admittedly based on a single line) that Debra might know. At the party she told Dexter he must be happy that this is all over. I can't figure out what else she could be referring to.
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 02:39 PM   #275
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

I heard she was talking about the Barrel Girls case.
Joe Washington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 02:44 PM   #276
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore
 
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Well, Deb delibaretly choosing to not look behind the curtain (because she suspects Dexter behind it) would probably the only way to save this episode.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 05:10 PM   #277
Canadave
Vice Admiral
 
Canadave's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Catharines, ON
View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Tulin wrote: View Post
Canadave wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
Sloppy writing this season and I rolled my eyes at the car crash deus ex machina(was I supposed to be impressed?)to get Dexter into Jordan's clutches. This show USED TO BE better than that and besides, anybody watching Dexter is beyond the hick yokel type that is going to exclaim, "Oooooo lookit that Tullulah-Belle - they done made a VEE-HICK-EL go WHAMMO!!!!"
Deus ex machina? You need to look up the definition of that term. We saw the digger that Dexter ran into when Jordan was headed into the camp, and Jordan knew he would be in a hurry, so I thought it was fairly obviously implied that Jordan moved it into a place where it would be hard to spot until it was too late.

Overall, however, the episode was definitely a letdown, and I can't help but feel that the show will be seriously spinning its wheels next year. I think they're going to need to seriously shake things up early on if they want to keep it compelling.

That said, overall season 5 is still stronger than season 3.
Holy fuck if I went on a rave every time some ignoramus posted "could of", "had of" or "I liked it better THEN...." or, the worst offender "I could care less..." that's ALL I'd be doing on the damned boards!!! I post ONE inappropriate use of a latin term and some pedant calls me on it!
Okay? A grammar mistake and using a term to describe something that I disagree with are not the same thing. You said it was a deus ex machina; I thought otherwise and argued my point.

Forgive me for attempting to create discussion on this discussion board.
__________________
My blog!
Canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 06:16 PM   #278
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Yeah I wasn't crazy about this season either. The basic idea was a good one I thought, but I was just never able to buy Stiles as that character, and I never found the Jordan Chase character remotely threatening either (at least the lackluster Season 3 had the physically imposing Jimmy Smits for a villain).

And then you have all the contrivances, such as Quinn deciding to ignore very incriminating photos of Dexter and Lumen just so he can be with Debra, or Liddy conveniently not witnessing more than he did.

And by this point, Debra is just starting to look like a complete idiot for not at least having a SUSPICION about Dexter (and despite what others are trying to read into the finale, I still don't think she does).

My biggest problem though is that Dexter himself has lost almost all of the edge he used to have. Perhaps it's only natural that he slowly become more emotional and human as time goes on, but it's that dark, slightly creepy edge that made him so compelling in the first place.

I miss the cold, emotionless killer of the first couple seasons who had to put on an act wherever he went. Now he's just another bumbling dork who sometimes says the wrong thing at a party.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 06:21 PM   #279
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

I miss that guy too.
Joe Washington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 07:10 PM   #280
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Apparently Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter have split and are filing for divorce.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/12/13...enter-divorce/

I wonder how that will affect next season, if it even does. Probably will be alot of tension on set. Which is where that plot of her finding out would have been awesome. That added tension of their troubled relationship translating into the tension of their onscreen relationship, possibly falling apart. Who knows maybe they split up amicably and production doesn't even start until next summer anyways.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 07:38 PM   #281
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

I think this season suffered from not having a particular endgame in mind from the start. A lot of the brilliance of season 1 and 4 for example is how the various pieces tied up neatly at the end of the season. Not so much here.
__________________
I made an 8-bit style RPG, here it is
I'm getting married on July 19, 2014.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2010, 08:41 PM   #282
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

John Lithgow stated he took the part or the Trinity Killer after they told him he was going to be the one to kill Rita.

I guess they were trying to be a different as possible from last season... but different doesn't mean great all the time.
__________________
Currently Reading: The Abominable by Dan Simmons
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 04:03 AM   #283
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

14thDoctor wrote: View Post
Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Really, all that was accomplished this season was for Dexter to realize it's theoretically possible for someone to accept him for who he is (but didn't he already know that, or did he think Harry was some huge, unrepeatable exception)?
Point of order: Harry killed himself shortly after he actually saw Dexter kill someone, so Harry doesn't really count as someone who completely accepted him.
After years of training him to be a killer, which is more accepting than Lumen, who kicked him to the curb the minute his usefulness was over. Cuz, when you think about it, that was exactly what she did: she obviously never loved him if she never once stopped to think, "I should stick with this guy and help him get better."

I know a lot of you (I can't do it personally, my imagination is lame), sit around and think up how shows are going to end episodes or years in advance, and when it actually comes time for season finales, there's something awesome built up in your head that makes anything that airs seem lame.
Yeah I'm constantly thinking up better stuff for shows than the writers of the shows deliver. Makes it almost impossible to enjoy watching anything (and in general, I don't watch much because of just that reason.) Dexter was one of the few exceptions and I can't afford to lose one of the few shows I can enjoy!

Everybody wanted Deb to find out this season, so now that she hasn't, the season is the worst ever?
I was willing to overlook a certain amount of lameness thinking that it was in service of a long-term plot development like Deb Finds Out that would make it worthwhile. Instead, we got nothing. And in retrospect, why did Rita die? That had no good purpose either. I keep thinking "the writers are going interesting places with this" and then it turns out they don't go anyplace interesting at all! Feh!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 07:20 AM   #284
Mojochi
Commodore
 
Mojochi's Avatar
 
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Apophis wrote: View Post
I got the impression (admittedly based on a single line) that Debra might know. At the party she told Dexter he must be happy that this is all over. I can't figure out what else she could be referring to.
I think she was just referring to losing Rita, & then the family falling apart. Hell, it appeared as though Dex was so lost, that he was taking Jordan Chase's advice at seminars

Let's face it, for the completely clueless, Dexter is a rather pitiable person, & it appears all the other characters are being kept clueless,

Except Quinn. As I see it, Quinn has pretty well figured out that Dex killed Liddy. Where this goes, will decide how I feel about this season. If it gets dropped, then I believe this season to be entertaining, but a bit of a washout

If they develop this, then it could very well be the beginning of the conclusion we're looking at, in this season. It's only 12 episodes in a season. It stands to reason, that the kind of building that will lead to the conclusion, will span over more than one season

I honestly can't see it being feasible for Quinn to live happily ever after with Deb, & not continue to get wrapped up in this. Killing Liddy really shines a bad light on Dex. He may not have been a model cop, but he was a cop. Lots of risky business, & mistakes by Dex this season, & an ever growing need to be accepted. It ought to spell catastrophe, because it's impairing his predatory instincts, & his training
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2010, 01:21 PM   #285
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Re: DEXTER Season 5 Discussion & Spoilers

Everybody wanted Deb to find out this season, so now that she hasn't, the season is the worst ever?
Nice to know am already spoken for...

I would of loved her to find out but am not too bothered because thats a final story type plot device and Dexter is not quite over yet. I love the curtain bit because its a clear foreshadowing of future events, Deb will find out eventually and I can wait a little longer.

Next season I was thinking what sort of villian they could have and I was wondering what about a cop killer? a serial killer who targets cops only. Deb finding out Dexter secret against such a villian might soften the blow especially if Dexter is forced to save her like in season 1 but this time with the price being not the death of his brother but his secret dark passenger being revealed to Deb.
__________________
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dexter

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.