Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 26 2010, 07:01 AM   #16
bensmalls
Ensign

Re: The best TNG episode ever

My favorite episode is definitely the finale, "All Good Things...".

Soooo good.
Old September 26 2010, 09:22 PM   #17
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I forgot to mention Reunification. As far as I remember it doesn't include Borg, Q or Klingons, and there's a really good performance from Leonard Nimoy returning as Spock.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2010, 09:31 PM   #18
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Chain of Command, part 2.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 12:38 AM   #19
Jochk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks everyone you've helped me separate me from females even more thanks again
Jochk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 12:39 AM   #20
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

^

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2010, 11:20 PM   #21
Alrik
Commodore

Alienesse wrote: View Post
Alrik wrote: View Post

The problem is, it very much involves the Klingons...at least in the battle scenes.
Well, yes, but you don't actually see Klingons as I recall, just their ships. And this isn't a Klingon-centered episode really, so I'd say it counts.
For full disclosure, Yesterdays Enterprise is in my all time top 5. I love this ep and highly recommend it. But within the parameters set down by the OP, it doesn't fit the request. I'm not trying to pick nits here, I'm just pointing out the fact that it was actually a very Klingon centric episode even though actual Klingons were never scene, just their ships. In the timeling created by the E-C's arrival, the Fed was about to lose a war to the Klingons that should have never started in the first place. Capt Garret was killed by a Klingon attack. I could go on, but you get the idea. The entire plot of Yesterdays Enterprise is woven around the Klingons.

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
I forgot to mention Reunification. As far as I remember it doesn't include Borg, Q or Klingons, and there's a really good performance from Leonard Nimoy returning as Spock.
Another great ep. The problem is the Klingons play a very important role in Part II and they, or their ship, have plenty of screen time.

I guess my vote would have to go to Sarek. It has a little of everything. Good TOS cross over. All of the main cast gets some time, and Stewart still gets to show off his acting chops. The Perfect Mate would be a strong alternative. Normally I would put The Inner Light in contention as well, but if you are chosing just one TNG episode to watch, it might be a little too Picard centric.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2010, 01:06 AM   #22
FKnight
Commander

Joshua Howard wrote: View Post
"Lessons" is way up there among my favorites, and I think I may be alone in my particular appreciation of it. Anyway, I think everybody tends to rush in and quote some of the really notorious episodes like "The Defector", but some of the best Trek moments really did happen in the more quiet episodes. "Data's Day" is another one that I like.
Lessons and Data's Day are excellent episodes, and I agree that some of the best Trek moments happened in less hyped episodes. Picard's announcement of Ensign Sito's loss and his comments about her at the end of Lower Deck's makes me cry every time, especially given her context and back story and the dressing down Picard gave her earlier in the episode.

Another wonderful moment is in Galaxy's Child on the bridge when they stumble upon the space-borne life form and data says there's nothing like it on record. They come back in the next scene and identify it as a life form. This right here is Star Trek -- new life and new civilizations - a new life form living in space -- as Picard mentions soon after, it's the reason they're out there. The build up from the moment they find this thing was so perfect. The procedures the bridge officer's followed was by the book, and they tried every thing they could to protect the ship, and avoid provoking or harming the life form...

..until the moment when I heard the computer say "Lethal Exposure in 1 minute" and Picard realized he had no choice of what to do next .. and you could tell after Picard agonized internally over his next order, even Worf didn't want to fire the phasers. That build up, that scene, and the reactions of everyone on the bridge after Data pronounced the life form dead is one of the most emotionally powerful scenes in Star Trek and that puts this episode way up there. I can't watch it without crying.

It's hard to pick a best TNG episode ever because there are so many great moments in TNG that push an episode over the top.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2010, 09:23 AM   #23
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Jochk wrote: View Post
thanks everyone you've helped me separate me from females even more thanks again
Because we're all male here.

"Chain of Command, Part II" gets my vote.
Old September 29 2010, 12:44 PM   #24
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Joshua Howard wrote: View Post
"Lessons" is way up there among my favorites, and I think I may be alone in my particular appreciation of it.
I love that one too. Obviously it's a sort of follow-up to The Inner Light and those two are probably my favourite TNG episodes.
Old September 29 2010, 01:36 PM   #25
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Easy....

"Q Who?"

Dark, intense, thrilling, spectacular. Everything about this episode is perfect. The acting, the writing (some absolutely fantastic dialogue), the directing and especially the music. I could watch this episode every day.
Old September 29 2010, 04:07 PM   #26
Wingsley
Commodore

First Contact (the episode)
The Drumhead
The Survivors
Up the Long Ladder
The Defector
The Ensigns of Command
The Measure of a Man
Tin Man
The Enemy
The Vengeance Factor
The Hunted
Contagion
Q Who
Old September 30 2010, 08:30 PM   #27
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

The next phase, Face of the enemy, Timescape is a fascinating watch.

If you don't like Klingon episodes how do you cope with Worf?

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/STAR-TREK-Absolution/386331754783277?fref=ts[/URL]
Solarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 12:26 AM   #28
Jochk
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't have a problem with the klingon episodes just my brother has became obsessed with them and i didn't want to hear those recommended because i wasn't in the mood to watch one of those
Jochk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 06:24 AM   #29
FKnight
Commander

I thought Birthright: Part 2 was a great Klingon/Worf episode. Worf has spent his whole life with humans and serves in Starfleet but he loves his heritage and has an idealized view of the Empire. Consequently, as Dax pointed out in DS9, he turns out to be the most honorable Klingon alive because he's true to the teachings of Khaless and not corrupted by Klingon politics. Worf was the perfect person to have awakened the Klingon spirit in Toq and the minute I saw Toq walk out of the building in full Klingon warrior garb, I was like "hell yeah. Qapla." Toq was a great character in this episode with him discovering and embracing his Klingon culture thanks to Worf. The scene where Worf and Toq were hunting was awesome.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 06:48 AM   #30
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Whoever said Lessons is underappreciated is right, I freaking love that episode.
One of the few TNG episode that makes me really well up, and the actress playing Neela was perfect.

But my favorite episode might be "The High Ground".
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote