Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 4 8.16%
Above average 15 30.61%
Average 16 32.65%
Below average 10 20.41%
Poor 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 21 2010, 03:15 AM   #31
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Re: The Event: "Pilot" - Sept. 20 on NBC - Grading & Discussion

I'll give this episode an Above Average for the WTF at the end. But I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I wanted to. As noted above, the flashbacks didn't really work and they served to make things more confusing.

But how many pilot episodes are the best episodes of a series? I can't think of too many. Lost's pilot was pretty good as was Voyager's and DS9's, but that's all I can think of. Actually, this pilot kind of reminded me of how I felt after Fringe's pilot 2 years ago. It felt like there was a potential for a good show buried in there somewhere, and it turns out that in Fringe's case, that was correct. I'm not yet sure about The Event. For now, I'll keep watching.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:23 AM   #32
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

^ Yeah, but while Fringe was far from compelling, it nonetheless had a fairly tight focus on its three main characters -- it really went to lengths to establish their personalities and chemistry. There's absolutely none of that merit here.
Old September 21 2010, 03:25 AM   #33
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, but while Fringe was far from compelling, it nonetheless had a fairly tight focus on its three main characters -- it really went to lengths to establish their personalities and chemistry. There's absolutely none of that merit here.
Agreed. The only reason I'm going to tune in next week is because of the plot (specifically the plot twist), not the characters.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:25 AM   #34
C_Miller
Captain

The Habs Fan wrote: View Post
I'll give this episode an Above Average for the WTF at the end. But I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I wanted to. As noted above, the flashbacks didn't really work and they served to make things more confusing.

But how many pilot episodes are the best episodes of a series? I can't think of too many. Lost's pilot was pretty good as was Voyager's and DS9's, but that's all I can think of. Actually, this pilot kind of reminded me of how I felt after Fringe's pilot 2 years ago. It felt like there was a potential for a good show buried in there somewhere, and it turns out that in Fringe's case, that was correct. I'm not yet sure about The Event. For now, I'll keep watching.
That's a good point. But I can't think of a pilot that doesn't offer that much, like this one did in my mind. If that WTF moment at the end didn't happen, I don't think I'd be watching next week. Also, depending on how inspiration this takes from 24 or, let's say Heroes, the pilot will blend into the rest of the season, where there are no real stand out episodes, as they all serve to advance the plot.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:26 AM   #35
Steven
Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
And no amount of "whoa" at the end of the episode makes up for 59 minutes (or 42 sans commercials) of ridiculous and mind-numbingly unnecessary plot twists.
This I can agree with to some extent. I can understand them wanting to introduce the characters (after all, it is the pilot episode), but I think they tried to introduce too much all at once.
Old September 21 2010, 03:28 AM   #36
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Am I the only one who wasn't really all that wowed by the actual event?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:32 AM   #37
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who wasn't really all that wowed by the actual event?
I'm guessing that wasn't "The Event" as referred to by the title or that mysterious lady character.

But as for the "wow" factor ... I tend to agree. It gets a "whoa" because planes disappearing into thin air is a "whoa" kinda thing. But you had to expect a deus ex machina moment there because, obviously, they weren't going to kill off the President, his advisers and the mysterious lady character.

Killing all of them off would have been, "wow."
Old September 21 2010, 03:36 AM   #38
omegadir
Lieutenant

Well that was...interesting.

I'm not sure what the flashbacks were trying to show, but the whole episode could have been compressed into about 5 minutes and the twist at the end would still have the same impact.

As a side note, the fire alarm went off in the middle of it and I didn't feel like I missed anything at all.

I'll probably be sticking with this anyway just to see where this goes.
omegadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:36 AM   #39
McCoy
Commodore

Why do showrunners thing that the way to make a better version of Lost is to make a more confusing version of Lost?
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:40 AM   #40
Tom
Rear Admiral

Jusry is still out for me, will see how next week's episode goes.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:44 AM   #41
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

McCoy wrote: View Post
Why do showrunners thing that the way to make a better version of Lost is to make a more confusing version of Lost?
Because they forget that what made Lost so special to begin with was its heavy emphasis on character building, while dropping in subtle hints of its larger mysteries as background. It's all well and good to have a grand mystery and a deep mythology for a show, but without characters audiences care about ... audiences won't care much about the mysteries. That's why I (very quickly) gave up on Flashforward.
Old September 21 2010, 03:49 AM   #42
Ganja Tea
Rear Admiral

I agree with everyone here. The flashbacks were completely unnecessary. I hope to God they don't plan on doing that for the entire season. It felt like it was trying to hard to be like Lost and totally missed the point. We were compelled to watch Lost because we loved the characters and wanted to see how they dealt with the mystery. This instead is a mystery in search of some characters to drive it along. I can't even remember anyone's name now that it's over. I'll give it an episode or two because I'm kinda of curious about the end but not so curious that I'm going to sit through another disjointed episode flashing in and out every five minutes.
And I get just as HIGH as I want to be
Ganja Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:49 AM   #43
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Well, first thing that comes to mind is that they are really trying to outdo Lost's flashbacks with all the time jumping. I mean obviously this show is gonna be compared to Lost.

Overall, interesting, I want to know what the event is. First impression I got was someone from the future. Also got a millenium vibe, the movie.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 03:53 AM   #44
propita
Rear Admiral

Reading these posts, I'm glad I'm dvr-ing it.

Pilot episodes are usually splotchy.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 04:04 AM   #45
Agent Richard07
Retired

This show's no Lost, but it's not bad. I like mysteries and plan to continue watching just to see what's going on. And yeah, I know they'll string us along forever.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
So was that Oceanic 815?
I was thinking that they should have made the plane an Oceanic Airlines flight. Then I thought... Nah. Too much of a Lost connection.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote