Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old September 19 2010, 09:30 AM   #1
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Could we see galaxies while in a spaceship?

So i was surfing around doing some link hopping and ended up on a Wiki article about galaxies.

I've always wondered that if someone would be on a spaceship moving through deep space would it be possible to see galaxy disks with your own eyes?

Imagine the final shot of Empire strikes back when Luke and Leia look out of the window and see this huge galaxy disk in front of them.

Is that physically realistic or possible? (as realistic as possible given that there are spaceships that are so far out)
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: Could we see galaxies while in a spaceship?

I think the distances involved would still be a problem for human eyes. If you were far enough away to see the whole thing, you would probably not see very much.
Old September 19 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

They're pretty faint unless you're just about inside one -- for example, think how the Milky Way gets washed out of the night sky by lights in towns and cities. M31, the Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 million light years away and 3 degrees across as seen from Earth (6 time the apparent diameter of the Moon) yet it only looks like a faint smudge to the eye.
Old September 19 2010, 03:45 PM   #4
JustAFriend
Commodore

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Imagine the final shot of Empire strikes back when Luke and Leia look out of the window and see this huge galaxy disk in front of them.
If you were thousands of light-years outside the Milky Way in one of the globular clusters that orbit it you'd see that.

Of course you can see a galaxy disk NOW, just go out to a really really dark area and if you have reasonable vision and know where to look you can see Andromeda yourself (helps to look to the side of it and use your peripheral vision which is more sensitive than looking directly at something...)
JustAFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

You could probably see the Milky Way from a different angle than you do from Earth.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 09:05 PM   #6
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Is that physically realistic or possible? (as realistic as possible given that there are spaceships that are so far out)
The Empire thing is not a very good example-- it's visibly rotating. Something the size of a galactic disk, at the apparent distance where Luke and Leia were viewing it, would have to be spinning faster than the speed of light to have visible rotation. So whatever they saw was not a galaxy.

I know this doesn't help answer the question. The real answer is, sure, you could see galaxies. But they wouldn't look like that.
Old September 20 2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

JustAFriend wrote: View Post
If you were thousands of light-years outside the Milky Way in one of the globular clusters that orbit it you'd see that.
Not really. To the naked eye, it would look very faint from that distance. I mean, we're in the galaxy, but our side-on view of its disk is only as a very faint strip of light across the night sky, one that you can only see if your eyes are sufficiently dark-adapted. If it's so dim from a position directly inside it, it's not going to be brighter from thousands of parsecs away.

All those TV and movie space shots where we see starships against backdrops of brilliant, colorful nebulae and galaxies and whatnot are all bogus, because the brilliant, colorful astronomical photos they're based on are the result of very long exposure times and image enhancement to make them look prettier.

Of course, as you say, some galaxies are faintly visible to the naked eye from Earth, and they would be more clearly visible from space, without the Earth's atmosphere to absorb and scatter the light. They'd still be faint, though.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
You could probably see the Milky Way from a different angle than you do from Earth.
Only if you travelled thousands of light-years away from Earth. Although your best bet would be to travel perpendicular to the plane of the disk. From most anywhere within the disk, the edge-on view that the ancients named the "Milky Way" (which in Latin is Via Galactica, the origin of the word "galaxy") is going to look generally similar. But the disk is fairly flat, only around a thousand light-years thick, so you wouldn't have to travel as far in a perpendicular direction to get "above" or "below" it and see a perspective shift.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Udat
Rear Admiral

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
They're pretty faint unless you're just about inside one -- for example, think how the Milky Way gets washed out of the night sky by lights in towns and cities. M31, the Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 million light years away and 3 degrees across as seen from Earth (6 time the apparent diameter of the Moon) yet it only looks like a faint smudge to the eye.

Never seen it! But I will look next time I have a chance when I`m out of town
Old September 22 2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Udat wrote: View Post
Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post

Never seen it! But I will look next time I have a chance when I`m out of town
Never seen the Milky Way (and many city-bound folks haven't) or never seen M31?
Old September 22 2010, 06:50 AM   #10
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I WANT to see Andromeda with my naked eyes so badly... I have seen the extremely faint version from my folk's home in Torrance, Cali, but I want to see it from way out in the country, where there is less light pollution.

If you were far/close enough away from the galaxy, you WOULD be able to see the whole disk, just on the basis that it's massive concentration of stars bunched together... YES, they are millions and billions of miles apart, but if you look at the night sky in a clear sky, you can see millions of stars that you don't normally see in the city. The sky looks quite full then.

So if you are far enough away, you will be able to see the disk... but yeah, you won't see it spinning.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Even through telescopes, M31 looks like a blur to the eye and you mostly see the galactic core regions. In 1887, powerful telescopes and long photographic exposure times were first used to resolve the spiral structure in detail.

From several tens of thousands of light years above the plane of our galaxy, the arms would be relatively faint and the view would be dominated by the bright core region.

You would be able to tell the galaxy was spinning if you measured the red and blue shifts, or if your lifetime were measured in many millions of years.
Old September 22 2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Somerled
Ensign

Provided you in the shade of the spaceship, then the galaxies will be easier to see because -
1) no atmosphere to absorb / scatter the light from them
2) no light pollution to overwhelm the light from them
3) higher contrast (they will stand out more against the blackness of space).
But you are still limited by the size of the lenses in your eyes (this wont change).

Close galaxies like the Andromeda Galaxy, the Large and Small Magellianic Clouds would be very much more spectacular in space than on the ground.
Somerled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Mr_Homn
Captain

the thing at the end of empire strikes back was not a galaxy
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

"see" means in the human visual spectrum?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2010, 11:22 PM   #15
KJbushway
Commodore

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I think the distances involved would still be a problem for human eyes. If you were far enough away to see the whole thing, you would probably not see very much.
Yeah i agree with what she said, it might just be to much for us even at a distance.
KJbushway is offline   Reply With Quote