Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 16 2010, 10:18 PM   #1
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Why no species fanbois in Star Trek?

Why nowhere in Star Trek we saw people devoted to being fans of the Vulcan culture, the Klingon culture or the Ferengi culture? Humans studying Surak's teachings? Humans dressing like Vulcans for fun, or wearing this? People parodying Vulcans, Klingons in holonovels? We saw Vulcans and Klingons parodied by the show – the holodeck Klingons in Voyager were more or less a parody of themselves – but nothing intended as such by its fictional author.
YellowSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Why no species fanbois in Star Trek?

Well, if you had people SERIOUSLY studying and adhering to philosophies of other races, I think that would have been more realistic. However, I think Trek really dropped the ball on that because on the rare occasions when we saw a Trek human follow another race's philosophy (Seven, DeSeve, etc.) they were traitors or victims, not people who made a legitimate choice. It's very much a "keep to your own" message--unintended, but I think it's a bad idea.

I would not see a problem with people adopting cultural symbols and the like, but there's VERY much a line that can be crossed. If you had people dressing as Klingons and Vulcans and actually making themselves up to look like those races, that would be bad. VERY bad. (Even in theater acting you'd have a really fine line to be careful of, in the 24th century.)
Old September 17 2010, 02:21 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

Not sure if this really counts, but in the Voyager episode Real Life when the Doctor created a family for himself on the holodeck and Lt. Torres later reworked it, the Doctor's son was a pretended to be a Klingon. Yes, it was a holographic scenarion, but I'm sure there was a real precedent on which it was based.

For that matter there was also the "Sons of Mogh," a cult which lived in the settlement in DS9's Children of Time that devoted themselves to Klingon philosophy and lifestyle.

So, yes, we have seen a few Klingon fanboys within Star Trek anyway.
Old September 17 2010, 02:53 AM   #4
Elias Vaughn
Captain

The idea of Klingon weeaboos amuses me to no end.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 02:53 AM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Isn't Dax a "Klingon fanboy"?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 02:57 AM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Isn't Dax a "Klingon fanboy"?
Depending on the host. Curzon I guess was a Klingon fanboy, Jadzia is more of a Klingon fangirl.
Old September 17 2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Actually, now that I think of it, I always figured Worf for someone who was acting like how he thought a Klingon should, learning about them from books and such instead of living the culture.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 03:03 AM   #8
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure Worf was COMPLETELY divorced from the Klingon culture--he was probably most like the monks on Boreth.
Old September 17 2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

It took place in novels, but there were two sisters who served on the StarGazer who were into Klingon culture.

Of course, you have Jadzia who was also into Klingon culture.

You might even say Dr. M'Benga was into Vulcan culture since he was a 'expert' in Vulcan physiology.
Old September 17 2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
It took place in novels, but there were two sisters who served on the StarGazer who were into Klingon culture.
Those would be Michael Jan Friedman's novels. I think they were raised by Klingons? It's been a long time, so I can't quite remember...
Old September 17 2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Praxius
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Not sure if this really counts, but in the Voyager episode Real Life when the Doctor created a family for himself on the holodeck and Lt. Torres later reworked it, the Doctor's son was a pretended to be a Klingon. Yes, it was a holographic scenarion, but I'm sure there was a real precedent on which it was based.

For that matter there was also the "Sons of Mogh," a cult which lived in the settlement in DS9's Children of Time that devoted themselves to Klingon philosophy and lifestyle.

So, yes, we have seen a few Klingon fanboys within Star Trek anyway.
Yeah you beat me to those..... and considering the hard time Spock had being half human amongst other Vulcans, I doubt regular humans would be accepted all the much.

But at the same time, Kes, Torres and Kim all sought out help from Tuvok and practiced a number of Vulcan rituals and meditation.

And if this counts or not, there were the abandoned Cardassian children/half cardassians left on Bajor whom the Bajorans adopted and introduced into their own culture.

There was also the human defector in TNG who took off to Romulus and later followed Spock and his movement on Romulus.

Then there was Worf's foster brother who saved that village of people and not only decided to stay behind with them when they were re-located, but also had a relationship with Cassidy Yates and was having a baby with her.

There's a number of examples of humans or sorta humans who adopted other alien cultures.... but you don't see as many of them compared to the other way around, because in ST, it focuses primarily towards our own culture in the future.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Miranda Jones - she trained on Vulcan, although she didn't have the logic thing down very well, and she was obsessed with serving the Medusan Ambassador.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Good question and some great answers.

That's all I got to say.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 08:11 PM   #14
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

How about Dr. Pulaski exploring the Klingon Tea Ceremony?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 02:33 AM   #15
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

What about the crew member in Space Seed who was obsessed with superhumans. You could apply to that any other races that have superior abilities.