Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 20 2010, 08:22 PM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Acting jobs drying up?

indolover wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
I wrote two episodes of TNG about twenty years ago, and that's the extent of my professional career as a television writer - I was a fortunate enthusiast who was able to take advantage of an opportunity that presented itself.
Cool. Did you get an opportunity to write on DS9 or Voyager?
I never tried to pitch DS9. I pitched Voyager a couple of times, to no avail. They were always really encouraging, though - it was a bit of a thrill to be told "you should be in here pitching every week" by one of my favorite TNG/Voyager writers - and one thing that happened was really fun: I pitched a story and was told "we're doing that one already and I'm telling you that with the understanding that you won't breathe a word of it" because it was seen as a game-changing kind of event.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 01:23 AM   #32
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

Don't the cast get royalties from all the re runs of the series? And dvd sales? None of them look like they are starving.

In fact a few look the opposite
Old September 21 2010, 07:06 AM   #33
Destructor
Commodore

it was seen as a game-changing kind of event.
Nothing game-changing ever happened on Voyager! The game was constantly the same!
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 04:59 PM   #34
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post
3) Brandon Frasier does about a movie a year. None of them are very big lately, but I'm sure he still gets paid.
Who's Brandon Frasier?

I went to see an actor called Brendan Fraser in London theatreland a few years ago, playing Brick in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. He was really rather good. Then he went on to do those awful Mummy films which must have sunk without a trace.
I assume that's who they meant. I saw a trailer for a new "family film" he's starring in, where he gets to act with CGI animals, as well as take pratfalls with them, etc.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 05:11 PM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Destructor wrote: View Post
it was seen as a game-changing kind of event.
Nothing game-changing ever happened on Voyager! The game was constantly the same!
Whatever.

S3CT1ON31 wrote: View Post
None of them look like they are starving.

Indeed - a few are approaching the point where they could mingle unnoticed in the audience at a Trek convention.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 05:24 PM   #36
TV's Frank
Fleet Captain

Don't the cast get royalties from all the re runs of the series? And dvd sales? None of them look like they are starving.

True, but maybe they actually want to keep doing that job they love, you know? The job they studied and practiced and get a lot of satisfaction from? Why is it so difficult to understand that even when an actor is receiving considerable money from royalties that they might still want to - GASP - act in film and on stage once in awhile?
TV's Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 05:55 PM   #37
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Being an actor is a brutal job. There's so very few who get into that position of "I've made it--I'm in demand and THEY seek me out, instead of the reverse." And then there's all the supporting people that made it all happen--writers, set designers, producers, stage hands, etc, who don't get the kind of glory that the actors do.

There's also the issue of being typecast. You get a role on a sci-fi series, get recognized for it, but then find yourself having difficulty doing anything else but sci-fi. Or... the role you had was very limiting and so you're not viewed as a "versatile" actor, simply because you weren't given the chance to show all your wares.

Unfortunately, the landscape of entertainment is changing yet again... there's so much junk out there. Costly productions just can't compete. And when you start cutting costs, you don't invest in the talent you need to make the production really successful--you go for the short term goal of keeping it less expensive. Then quality suffers, ratings get bogged down...

You do see some actors break out of the typecast mold... I've spotted a number of Star Trek regular actors who have gotten supporting roles in other series. A greater number do just sporadic character roles... that's probably much easier to score than a regular gig on another show.

As for Frakes, well, I wouldn't call him a very talented actor. That's probably why the acting jobs noticeably "dried up" for him. He seems to have more talent as a director. Good for him, finding his niche.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2010, 06:04 PM   #38
Gary7
Rear Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
Dennis, if you don't mind asking, what's your history with the WGA? What have you done? If for any reason you don't feel comfortable answering, that's cool.
Well, he's that guy.
Dennis, congrats on your work. I understand you were more on the early draft side, but these were among the much better stories in the TNG series.

Back when TNG had a script writers manual available for anybody to give it a go, I got one and wrote up a script. It was a "part II" to the "A Matter of Time" episode, about the 22nd century guy masquerading as observer Professor Berlingoff Rasmussen from the 26th century. But unfortunately by the time it was read, the series was being prepared for the wrap up. I was thanked for the submission, given an apology for being "too late for consideration". I was bummed... Anyway, did you go the same route, just a bit earlier in the series run?
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 05:32 AM   #39
Destructor
Commodore

Ha! I, also, submitted a script to Voyager, which was the sequel to the episode where Harry Kim dies and is replaced by Harry Kim from a slightly different timeline (Parallels), which posited that the 'original' Harry Kim who was flushed out into space was revived by the Vidiians as an experimental research subject*. I submitted it during the 4th season and was declined and thanked for my time (no 'sequels' were accepted from out-of-house writers, which may have influenced your script also, Gary7), but was surprised to note that certain elements of it were incorporated into the 5th season opener (Night) had a scene that was extremely similar to one of the scenes from my spec. Probably a coincidence, but it's nice to think I played a small part in the Voyager tapestry.

*I did post the script here on the BBS after it was rejected, but that was a long time ago, prior to the big BBS reboot of a few years ago, and it's not longer here. Might be able to dig it out of my archives...
Old September 29 2010, 05:45 AM   #40
Jonesy
Commodore

Hi Dennis

I hope you don't mind me asking you this (I like the eps you wrote for) but can you elaborate as comfortably as you want to as to how you got the opportunity to write for TNG?

What was it like to actually write an episode? Did you have someone like Michael Piller giving you notes as you wrote, or were you allowed to basically hammer out a draft straight through (or along with another writer)?

Did you meet/see or interact with Roddenberry?

Did you mingle or hang out with some of the other "regular" writers, such as Ron Moore?
Old September 29 2010, 06:20 AM   #41
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Malleus wrote: View Post
Jonathan Frakes had these words to say in the most recent interview:

“Thank God I learned this second craft [directing],” he said. “I really don’t know how I’d be supporting my family. I’d be looking for another kind of gig.”
Other actors, including his wife Genie Francis, and his Star Trek co-workers have also seen jobs dry up, with one notable exception. “Genie isn’t working the way she used to and my peers as actors – at least from the Star Trek guys, with the exception of Patrick [Stewart] – are struggling as well,” said Frakes. “Some of it is by choice, granted, some of it is just by the double-edged sword that Star Trek has been for all of us.”
Source: http://www.startrek.com/article/inte...onathan-frakes

I know Brent Spiner has been seeking new acting roles, but I would really like to know if Frakes is accurate or is exaggerating.

Why do I suspect I could retire off the money Frakes made off of TNG?
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2010, 11:56 PM   #42
TheMurph
Rear Admiral

I've always like Frakes more as a director than as an actor, then again I've not really watched anything he's acted in other than TNG. As for the others, I've seen them in some movies here and there, and let us not forget voice acting, which Michael Dorn seem to do quite a bit. Also, I seem to recall seeing somewhere that Brent Spiner was doing some theatre.
Old October 2 2010, 12:03 AM   #43
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Being an actor is a brutal job. There's so very few who get into that position of "I've made it--I'm in demand and THEY seek me out, instead of the reverse." And then there's all the supporting people that made it all happen--writers, set designers, producers, stage hands, etc, who don't get the kind of glory that the actors do.
Tell me a job where this is any different. From hairdresser to doctor, there's always only a few of them who "made it". The rest is just going along like everyone else. And every job has supporting jobs that make it all happen. Do you know the name of Steve Jobs' secretary?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2010, 10:12 PM   #44
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

None of them look like they are starving.

Indeed - a few are approaching the point where they could mingle unnoticed in the audience at a Trek convention.
Old October 4 2010, 03:29 AM   #45
Destructor
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Gary7 wrote: View Post
Tell me a job where this is any different. From hairdresser to doctor, there's always only a few of them who "made it". The rest is just going along like everyone else. And every job has supporting jobs that make it all happen. Do you know the name of Steve Jobs' secretary?
I'm pretty sure anyone who wants to be a hairdresser is a hairdresser. For every actor there are at least nine people who want to be an actor, are trying to be an actor, and are not actors.