TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 13 2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

Covert Affairs (Piper Perabo, new USA series) - Discussion & Spoilers

New jobs are tough -- especially when your new employer is the CIA. Annie Walker (Piper Perabo) is fluent in six languages, has traveled the world and is besting her fellow CIA trainees in every test. But that doesn't explain why she's suddenly summoned by CIA headquarters to report for active duty as a field operative one month before her training is over. She doesn't know there may be something -- or someone -- from her past that her CIA bosses are really after.

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Covert Affairs (Piper Perabo, new USA series) - Discussion & Spoil

I'll check it out and be back tomorrow to chime in. I really hope it's good. This summer has been very disappointing for TV (Futurama being the only bright spot).
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Aragorn
Admiral

Well Piper Perabo's backside sure looks nice in a bikini, that's for sure.

Was surprised how much actual show there was during their limited commercial interruptions until I looked at the runtime and realized they had allotted 76 minutes for it.

The show has potential, but I'm not sure how good they'll be at the spy mission of the week. But at the same time their mythology arc seems thin to do every week.
Old July 14 2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Bah Humbug
Admiral

Bummer. For some reason I thought this was on Wednesday night.
Old July 14 2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I liked it. It didn't blow me away or anything, but I think the show has potential.

I'm not too intrigued by the mysterious boyfriend/spy/whatever angle yet. However I will give the writers the benefit of the doubt that they can pull it off.
Old July 14 2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

This was pretty good. It's got a lot in common with Alias, but in a lighter, less angsty way. Piper Perabo is appealing and effective. Annie is inexperienced and learning, but very competent and adaptable, an effective lead.

I'm surprised I actually like Christopher Gorham here, since I didn't care for him in Jake 2.0. Maybe it's that his character is a lot more appealing. However, like most sighted actors playing blind people, he's overdoing the "Hey, I'm staring off into space because I'm blind, see?" thing.

The subplot about the two married CIA bosses with the wife suspecting the husband of cheating was a tedious distraction. And of course there's a big mystery arc that will be gradually uncovered. It bugs me that in the climax, Annie couldn't save herself but needed the mystery man to swoop in and save her. And apparently the real reason the CIA called her up early out of training and assigned her to this branch is as a lure to draw this guy in, which kind of undermines her. But I guess the idea is that she'll prove herself to be more than that.

Awful lot of product placement here. At least it wasn't too blatant, with the brand names being used in contexts and ways that people would actually use them in.

Is this actually shot in DC?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I sat through the whole thing but there was nothing appealing about it for me. I found the main character annoying, the side characters uninteresting at best, and extremely annoyed by the boyfriend/love interest/big mystery plot that was entirely predictable and unoriginal. If that's going to be the backbone of the show, forget it.

I don't mind things being ridiculous if they're at least entertaining, but this failed to even hit that for me.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 04:07 AM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Eh, I won't be sticking with it. I like Christopher Gorham, but I should know by now that USA doesn't make the type of shows that's ever going to interest me.

There's not enough sense of urgency. We know why Jack Bauer works for CTU. Piper (cripes I can't even remember the character's name - never a good sign) joined the CIA because she got dumped by her boyfriend. Meh. Maybe people do join the CIA because of stuff like that (a truly terrifying thought) but a fictional character's motive needs to have more oomph than the stuff that ordinary boring people do in their stupid, scattered, aimless lives.

I thought I'd give this show a couple episodes but honestly I couldn't make it through the premiere. Gave up about at the 1-hour mark.

And what's up with not being able to record the show on my DVR? It just turned up black (so I watched live, which gives me hives ). I've heard USA blocks their signal from DVR recorders, but since I don't care for their style of show anyway, I've never really encountered this before now. Since I'm unlikely to remember to watch a show that my DVR isn't helping me to remember exists, it's doubtful I'd be following it anyway.

Awful lot of product placement here. At least it wasn't too blatant, with the brand names being used in contexts and ways that people would actually use them in.
The Starbucks in the CIA was one of my favorite parts of the episode. Another bad sign when product placement is a highlight of the show.
Old July 15 2010, 04:17 AM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

I've never had a problem recording USA shows onto DVR. In fact, I have the opposite problem for that network. I set all my shows to only record new episodes, but it also records all the times they re-air the episodes.
Old July 15 2010, 04:59 AM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Maybe I should give my DVR a good hard kick. I got it thru Comcast, would that make any diff?

I have the record-every-frakkin-airing problem, too. I just avoid recording shows by typing in the name.
Old July 15 2010, 05:49 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

Yep, soon as I saw the commercials I thought "Alias Lite". It was a fairly fluffy show. Agreed with Christopher on most points, though I like Gorham.

Christopher - you should checkout Burn Notice. It's been slowly morphing into an extended Hyundai commercial over the last season.
Old July 15 2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Iasius
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Christopher - you should checkout Burn Notice. It's been slowly morphing into an extended Hyundai commercial over the last season.
I noticed that the usual theme on Burn Notice seems to be "bad guys drive Mercs or BMWs." It's really quite common, not just on Burn Notice.
Old July 15 2010, 07:35 AM   #13
sojourner
Admiral

^Sure, that's common, but on Burn Notice the Hyundai Genesis has become another character and not in a good Enterprise/General Lee sort of way.
Old July 15 2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

Christopher wrote: View Post
It bugs me that in the climax, Annie couldn't save herself but needed the mystery man to swoop in and save her.
Yah, that was bothersome to me as well.

Also, all the musical montages reminded me of all the complaints about Stargate Universe & Defying Gravity being too much like Grey's Anatomy.
I got the impression this was "Burn Notice for Chicks", or a show that belongs on Lifetime.
Old July 15 2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Eh, I won't be sticking with it. I like Christopher Gorham, but I should know by now that USA doesn't make the type of shows that's ever going to interest me.
See, USA does make shows that interest me and this one fell way short. I could tell it was probably going to based on the previews but I thought I'd give it a chance anyway. Oh well.

And what's up with not being able to record the show on my DVR? It just turned up black (so I watched live, which gives me hives ). I've heard USA blocks their signal from DVR recorders, but since I don't care for their style of show anyway, I've never really encountered this before now. Since I'm unlikely to remember to watch a show that my DVR isn't helping me to remember exists, it's doubtful I'd be following it anyway.
I was able to record this show and whatever came before it ... was it White Collar? But I've been having problems just within the past month or so if I'm watching an episode of Law and Order SVU and want to pause it, it won't let me. And it won't let me just record the rest, etc. I'm not sure exactly what programs they are doing this for, but it's happened enough times that I know they're doing something (as I haven't had an issue on any other channels).

Chris_Johnston wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
It bugs me that in the climax, Annie couldn't save herself but needed the mystery man to swoop in and save her.
Yah, that was bothersome to me as well.

Also, all the musical montages reminded me of all the complaints about Stargate Universe & Defying Gravity being too much like Grey's Anatomy.
I got the impression this was "Burn Notice for Chicks", or a show that belongs on Lifetime.
Yeah, now that you mention that it does really bug me that she needed her boyfriend to come save her at the end. I get that she's a bumbling newbie idiot and all, but if her strengths are just acting like a hooker, this isn't going to be very impressive. And for the record, I'm a chick and I definitely prefer Burn Notice.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote