RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,604
Posts: 5,425,078
Members: 24,805
Currently online: 525
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 17 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral
 
Asbo Zaprudder's Avatar
 
Location: Sand in the Vaseline
Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11340336

I think SBC can pull it off (ooh er, missus) even though I think he's a bit too old to play young Freddie from the 70's.

So who is camper, Freddie or Bruno?

It's hard to think who else could have been cast for the role. Any suggestions for younger and older Freddies?
__________________
"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." -- Spock -- Flip flap!
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain
 
Nerdius Maximus's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11340336

I think SBC can pull it off (ooh er, missus) even though I think he's a bit too old to play young Freddie from the 70's.

So who is camper, Freddie or Bruno?

It's hard to think who else could have been cast for the role. Any suggestions for younger and older Freddies?
Good choice, IMO. Although, usually with these music biopics the star does his or her own vocals. I can't see that happening here, because no one on earth could come close to replicating Freddy's voice.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

I'm not holding my breath, Freddie's mother vetoed the the last script. I suppose the rest of the band must think it's OK if they've agreed to license the music for it.

Well, at least John Deacon must think it's OK, Brian and Roger would sell their own mothers for a buck. We Will Rock You with 5ive anyone?
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Same story on Yahoo

The comparison pictures are surprisingly similar here, I can't think of anyone who looks anything like Freddie.

And definitely nobody sounds anything like him either.

One of a kind, that one. I'm glad to have grown up listening to their best stuff.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Danny99
Vice Admiral
 
Danny99's Avatar
 
Location: Cookstown, Ontario, Canada
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

I've yet to see him in a role where he hasn't been a total idiot. Borat is only funny the first time. Bruno was the same old shtick. Talladega Nights was dreadful. Sweeney Todd, while his best, was still not up to par.

Why can't they find an actor to do justice to the role instead of just grabbing a name for sales?
__________________
The poster previously known as canadaboy_32
Danny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

I don't think the look is the most important thing, since they can roughly match his appearance with makeup and prosthetics if necessary. I think having someone who can at least somewhat do him justice replicating his singing style and theatricality would be more important, unless they decide to just do lip synching.

To that end, casting real singers would be a good idea. I would suggest Matthew Bellamy of Muse, Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, or Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars since he also is an accomplished actor, though I don't recall if he's done any British accents before.

The funny thing is, one person who looks exactly like older Freddie Mercury is John Stossel, though his nasally whine would make you want to set fire to the theater if you had to endure two hours of listening to him.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral
 
DevilEyes's Avatar
 
Location: basking in the warmth of the Fire Caves
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I don't think the look is the most important thing, since they can roughly match his appearance with makeup and prosthetics if necessary. I think having someone who can at least somewhat do him justice replicating his singing style and theatricality would be more important, unless they decide to just do lip synching.

To that end, casting real singers would be a good idea. I would suggest Matthew Bellamy of Muse, Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, or Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars since he also is an accomplished actor, though I don't recall if he's done any British accents before.
No amount of prosthetics or makeup could possibly make any of those 3 look remotely anything like Freddie Mercury.

And I'm pretty sure that it's much easier and cheaper to dub a singing voice than to transform an actor's appearance through CGI...
__________________
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I don't think the look is the most important thing, since they can roughly match his appearance with makeup and prosthetics if necessary. I think having someone who can at least somewhat do him justice replicating his singing style and theatricality would be more important, unless they decide to just do lip synching.

To that end, casting real singers would be a good idea. I would suggest Matthew Bellamy of Muse, Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, or Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars since he also is an accomplished actor, though I don't recall if he's done any British accents before.
No amount of prosthetics or makeup could possibly make any of those 3 look remotely anything like Freddie Mercury.

And I'm pretty sure that it's much easier and cheaper to dub a singing voice than to transform an actor's appearance through CGI...
That why I said the looks are not the most important thing. But to counter your point, Jack Nicholson didn't look much like Jimmy Hoffa until they covered his face in prosthetics, and Anthony Hopkins or Frank Langela don't look much like Richard Nixon but still pulled off believable and compelling performances by getting the mannerisms and voice down. So it can work out either way. I just think it's far more important to not lip synch and to have a competent singer with a similar persona or a decent acting capability playing the role then it is to fixate on making him look identical to Mercury.

Nor did I say anything about using CGI, so I don't know where you're getting that from.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain
 
Nerdius Maximus's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I don't think the look is the most important thing, since they can roughly match his appearance with makeup and prosthetics if necessary. I think having someone who can at least somewhat do him justice replicating his singing style and theatricality would be more important, unless they decide to just do lip synching.

To that end, casting real singers would be a good idea. I would suggest Matthew Bellamy of Muse, Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, or Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars since he also is an accomplished actor, though I don't recall if he's done any British accents before.

The funny thing is, one person who looks exactly like older Freddie Mercury is John Stossel, though his nasally whine would make you want to set fire to the theater if you had to endure two hours of listening to him.
None of those dudes can sing like Freddy. Not at all. Especially The Darkness guy with his nasally falsetto.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 03:05 PM   #10
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Taipei
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

The guy that played the bad guy in Casino Royale looks like Freddie Mercury to me.

http://bestof.provocateuse.com/image...kkelsen_99.jpg
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury
I can see that.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 04:20 PM   #12
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral
 
DevilEyes's Avatar
 
Location: basking in the warmth of the Fire Caves
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I don't think the look is the most important thing, since they can roughly match his appearance with makeup and prosthetics if necessary. I think having someone who can at least somewhat do him justice replicating his singing style and theatricality would be more important, unless they decide to just do lip synching.

To that end, casting real singers would be a good idea. I would suggest Matthew Bellamy of Muse, Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, or Jared Leto of 30 Seconds to Mars since he also is an accomplished actor, though I don't recall if he's done any British accents before.
No amount of prosthetics or makeup could possibly make any of those 3 look remotely anything like Freddie Mercury.

And I'm pretty sure that it's much easier and cheaper to dub a singing voice than to transform an actor's appearance through CGI...
That why I said the looks are not the most important thing. But to counter your point, Jack Nicholson didn't look much like Jimmy Hoffa until they covered his face in prosthetics, and Anthony Hopkins or Frank Langela don't look much like Richard Nixon but still pulled off believable and compelling performances by getting the mannerisms and voice down. So it can work out either way. I just think it's far more important to not lip synch and to have a competent singer with a similar persona or a decent acting capability playing the role then it is to fixate on making him look identical to Mercury.

Nor did I say anything about using CGI, so I don't know where you're getting that from.
CGI was my comment on how improbable it is, IMO, to make any of those 3 look anything like Mercury even with a lot of prosthetics. IMO, the differences are greater than between Hopkins/Langella and Nixon or Jack Nicholson and Hoffa. It's not necessary for someone to look exactly like the person they're portraying, but there has to be at least some general resemblance (like Joaquin Phoenix/Johnny Cash). In these cases, you'd have to apply Star Trek level full face and body prostethics... and I'm talking Morn type of prosthetics rather than Quark or Worf.

And besides, the voice is even more of a problem, because you wouldn't be having an actor pretending to be Mercury, you'd be having Matt Bellamy or Justin Hawkins singing exactly the way Matt Bellamy or Justin Hawkins sing, only for some reason the movie will be telling you that it's actually Freddie Mercury, which would make no sense. Just like it never made sense to pretend that Diana Ross sang like Billie Holiday. No, that was Diana Ross singing and looking like Diana Ross. If you're not going to dub the voice, then it's better to find someone who is not a famous singer and who sounds approximately like the person they're meant to portray (like Sam Riley as Ian Curtis in Control), then to cast another famous singer whose voice is very recognizable. Now, I must say I haven't heard Leto's music and all I know of his singing is what I heard in "My So-Called Life" (and OK, I don't think he's exactly that famous as a musician), but AFAIR he sounds nothing at all like Mercury. Neither do the other two.

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
None of those dudes can sing like Freddy. Not at all. Especially The Darkness guy with his nasally falsetto.
I adore Muse and I think Matt Bellamy is an amazing singer, but he doesn't sound like Freddie Mercury, he sounds like Matt Bellamy. Not to mention that he looks absolutely nothing like Mercury, either.
__________________
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 06:28 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Haven't seen SBC in a dramatic role before but I hadn't seen Jim Carrey in one before The Truman Show or Robin Williams before Dead Poet's Society, etc etc. He's not a bad physical match (the oft-rumoured Johnny Depp and John Barrowman would have been totally wrong) and he can do flamboyant. Not to mention he's capable of growing a decent 'tache.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

I'm sure he'll be under pressure to do a killer Queen impersonation, hopefully this project won't be another one that bites the dust.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 02:45 AM   #15
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to play Freddie Mercury

Why is it a problem if he's lip-synced?

The majority of the movie won't have him singing, I'm sure, it'll probably be about the drama around the music. So the one or two times we see him on stage "singing", it really won't matter at all (especially if they dub with a live performance of the band).

LaBamba, though older (I can't think of any recent examples off the top of my head) did well enough with this method.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.