RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 469
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 17 2010, 10:34 PM   #46
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Re: Female Command Officers & the Uniform Code

I remember reading a line in one of the old making-of books that one of the female actresses would intentionally try to hike her skirt up a bit to show off her legs. Maybe it was Nichelle Nichols when she was sitting behind Kirk.
Old September 18 2010, 02:01 PM   #47
Warped9
Admiral

^^ I think you might be misremembering that. GR was the one always trying to get the female outfits hiked higher or cut lower.
Old September 18 2010, 04:25 PM   #48
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Maybe they were trying to get Gene Roddenberry to wear miniskirts that were hiked higher or cut lower.....

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 05:45 PM   #49
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

^ Ew.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 08:10 PM   #50
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ I think you might be misremembering that. GR was the one always trying to get the female outfits hiked higher or cut lower.
LOL, but seriously, the quote stuck in my head because it was one of the actresses who was proud of her legs and wanted to show them off. Fits in with the whole women's lib thing of the time, seems to me.
Old September 19 2010, 08:33 PM   #51
Neutral Zone
Captain

I seem to remmber that Nichele Nicols showing her legs quite often, not that I minded
Neutral Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 07:50 PM   #52
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this site that I thought had some interesting food for thought? Some of the phase II designs I would like to think existed in the TOS era and we just never saw them, others I'm not too sure about?

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/topi...-PHASE-II.html
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 08:50 PM   #53
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Very nifty find. Congrats and thanks.
Old December 5 2010, 09:03 PM   #54
Wingsley
Commodore

One option missing here that TNG's Kate Pulaski brought to light: the "skant". (Combining a micro-mini skirt-type deal with ordinary duty trousers.)
Old December 5 2010, 09:04 PM   #55
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Wow! That dress variant looks stunning, excellent work
I agree. I'd love to have seen that on-screen.

Areel Shaw wore a slight variant of the female uniform. It was a longer dress than the miniskirt, and I thought a bit more befitting someone of her position, and so did the producers apparently.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2010, 10:08 PM   #56
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Wingsley wrote: View Post
. . . One thing still nags at me: was Nurse Chapel the only female crewmember seen wearing a worker-jumpsuit in the entire series?
I don’t recall if we ever saw another woman wearing that outfit. In Nurse Chapel’s case, it’s apparently meant to be a surgical scrub uniform.
Old December 5 2010, 11:18 PM   #57
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across this site that I thought had some interesting food for thought? Some of the phase II designs I would like to think existed in the TOS era and we just never saw them, others I'm not too sure about?

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/topi...-PHASE-II.html
The vast majority of the costumes that were made for the ill-fated Star Trek Phase II series were picked up by us at the fan-based Star Trek Phase II series. (A few slipped through our paws, but not many.) We've been incorporating these various aborted Phase II designs into our episodes. We have Kirk wearing the Captain's short sleeve leisure tunic, we have Uhura wearing the female short (cap) sleeve uniform, we have the "Hew Haw" suspender-overall things, and we have some odd "sandwich-board" smocks that are open on the sides. We may try to incorporate the female dress uniform that was designed for Phase II which utilizes a "shrug."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2010, 12:15 AM   #58
Wingsley
Commodore

Well, presumably there were female humanoid enlisteds and NCO's aboard TOS-era Federation starships, including the Enterprise. So if there were no other appearances of women wearing jumpsuits outside of Chapel's surgical garb, I would find that to be a far greater omission than whatever the dress code would be for female command-grade officers.

Another significant issue for me, in a related tangent, would be what the dress code would be for warrant officers on Federation starships and starbases. A warrant officer (in the U.S. military, at least) is a non-commissioned officer that can hold a position of authority and rank (and superior pay grade) to most enlisted NCOs.

I have never seen any meditation, even in fan circles, on what warrant officer rank insignia would be.
Old December 6 2010, 12:42 AM   #59
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

I don't think it was ever established that Starfleet had a warrant officer program. Hell, you have to do more than a few twists to pick out enlisted personnel.
Old December 6 2010, 04:48 AM   #60
Vance
Vice Admiral

Neutral Zone wrote: View Post
I seem to remmber that Nichele Nicols showing her legs quite often, not that I minded
She was a dancer before being on Trek and was very proud of her legs. She actually can be seen in some episodes hiking up the skirt. (There's one infamous shot, though I sadly forget the episode, where you pretty much get to see most of her ass as she sits down because the skirt's hiked ridiculously high )
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote