Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old September 10 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

EJO Planning BSG continuation graphic novel

If they dont, I am, Olmos said in a conference call today. Im going to go there. Im going to go there in a graphic novel. Pretty soon I hope. I don't know. It just depends on whether people can get behind it and understand it for what it is. I think people will.

I think people would really flip out to know what Lee Adama is doing on the planet, what the chief is doing on the planet and what is the colonel doing on the planet and how is the planet treating us and how are we treating the planet? How are we getting along, the human development that we were inside of the human development that we see today. Thats pretty heavy.
source

But it would be even better if it was Photo Novel. That all actors come together again to reprise their roles but as photograph novel. They would certainly need less money for CG and other special effects.
Maybe they could even make continuation on that cylon 5 story that Anders didn't ram Galactica & fleet into the Sun but that it was just a ploy for cylons to take over the fleet and that's why Starbuck was 'Harbinger of the Apocalypse' because she lured people into this trap.
Old September 10 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: EJO Planning BSG continuation graphic novel

It's September, not April.
Old September 10 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I'm not so sure about this idea. I don't see any need for the story to continue past the end of "Daybreak," which I was quite satisfied with as the endpoint of the series.
Old September 10 2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Ethros
Vice Admiral

I love Daybreak, but I always feel kinda sorry for Lee, as by the end he's all alone. I always think it would have been cool to have including a scene earlier in the episode of a brief flirtation between him and Nurse Ishay, then one could assume maybe they hooked up down on Earth (and especially as the actress is Jamie Bamber's wife in real life)

So if they incorporated something like that into it I'd be happy
Old September 10 2010, 11:54 PM   #5
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I'll buy it. Olmos has a passion for BSG and it could make for a good story.

The sad part with Lee is Dee. What I mean is, if Dee had held on for a couple months longer, she would have had Lee all to herself and Earth.
Old September 11 2010, 02:54 AM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

Honestly, I don't think there is any more story to tell after Daybreak, but I'd check this out anyway only because Olmos is writing it and it would be interesting to see BSG product written by him.
Old September 11 2010, 03:14 AM   #7
David cgc
Vice Admiral

From his description, and the way the show ended, it sounds like it'd be really down to Earth. I mean, if anyone was bored by the concept of Caprica as a corporate and legal drama that just happens to center on prototype robots on another planet 150,000 years ago, they can just forget this. While there's a story in how these refugees adapt to a rural life, and how they integrate with the Cylon survivors, and what happens personally to the characters, there's not going to be a spaceship or robot to be seen.
Old September 11 2010, 03:23 AM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^Maybe there could be a chapter/epilogue devoted to what happened to the centurions on the baseship?
Old September 11 2010, 06:16 AM   #9
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
^^Maybe there could be a chapter/epilogue devoted to what happened to the centurions on the baseship?
That would be interesting.

Would be kind of fun if some of the settlers told Lee to go frak himself with his whole "no technology" nonsense and decided to form their own society on Earth. Maybe Atlantis.
Old September 11 2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

^ I've always liked the idea that there was an "Atlantis" in the BSG universe. It can be shoehorned in. Maybe the colonials did create another technologically advanced society between 150,000 years ago and now, and that too fell because of a cylon problem. It does kind of mess with the idea of a long-lasting break from the cycle that was implied in the finale, but it's still nice to think about.
Old September 11 2010, 04:38 PM   #11
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Can he legally even do this? He doesn't own the BSG rights.
Old September 11 2010, 04:45 PM   #12
David cgc
Vice Admiral

No tie-in author does (except maybe James Cameron). You think Dynamite Press (the current publisher of the BSG comic line) is going to do anything other than soil themselves with excitement when the star of Battlestar Galactica walks up wanting to do a project with them?
Old September 11 2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

They landed on Earth 150,000 years ago. I don't think anyone realizes how long a time this is, hell ancient ancient Egypt (the Egypt before the Pyramids) only started around 7,000 or 8,000 years ago, and look at what's left. Crusty old ruins (no offense), at their pinnacle, im sure they would have looked what we consider to be relatively modern design.

Hell, the hanging gardens of babylon are only supposed to be 3000 years old tops, and they were supposed to be a marvel of engineering, now lost to time to the extent that some consider it to be a myth.

I think when you take those into account, its extremely fair to say that the colonials built a civilisation not too dissimilar to our modern world, with air travel and metal constructed buildings and the like. No one realizes how temporary our world is and it can all disappear in a blink of an eye due to some cataclysm or technological revolution.

The Raptors, Vipers and even the Rag Tag Fleet were in need of constant repair and maintenance during the duration of their journey. They were pretty much out of supplies by the end, so ditching all the potentially unsafe ships they've been imprisoned in for 4 years sounds fair to me. Plus, yeah, they kept the Vipers/Raptors and support craft because Galactica was empty when it was set on a course for the sun. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out, hell, in one of the last shots we see Adama flying a Raptor around. Im sure they used all the tech until it naturally gave out. The Raptors being the most "modern" tech they had would have lasted longest I'd say.

http://www.worldwithoutus.com/did_you_know.html

Just take a look at that graphic. Most of the evidence of our modern society would be gone in only "thousands" of years. Long before the "100,000" year mark where even the Co2 deposited in our atmosphere would be gone, let alone 150,000 years.
Old September 11 2010, 05:18 PM   #14
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Yeah, but that doesn't mention how long evidence would last archeologically.You could say New York would be fallen and overgrown in a hundred thousand years so it just looked like wilderness walking on it, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be found if you started digging. Heck, even one 150,000 year old skeleton with dental fillings would be enough to turn the scientific world upside down.

Now, I'm not one of the people who think they burned all their food and medicine and books, but I'd still say whatever society they developed was extremely rural and agrarian. Even if they kept the Vipers and Raptors, I'd be surprised if they went more than a few years before they ran out of fuel.
Old September 11 2010, 07:01 PM   #15
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Well pointed out that 150,000 years is more than enough time for another civilization to rise and fall. My own idea was Atlantis, maybe a lost continent where those who rejected Lee's hippeeism made a society of their own. Eventually, they destroyed themsleves while the other survivors stayed alive elsewhere.

I agree with the idea of ditching the potentially unsafe ships. You wouldn't want one of those to explode and cause a fire you couldn't put out. Problem with keeping the Vipers and Raptors is they need to be refueled. I can easily see the people who have worked on those ships telling the rest of the fleet to go frak themselves and refusing to do anymore drilling.

Rejecting technology and some of the ships they could have used to build something is foolish I think. At the same time, the Colonials would have to deal with the fact that some technology and specialties would be lost. Take the brain surgeon who operated on Anders...that's a specialty that will be lost and no be able to replaced. With limited to no technology, who is really going to be able to replace Doc Cottle? A return to an agricultural societey would happen almost right away.