TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 11 2010, 05:04 PM   #31
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Halo: Reach

Yeah, those level designs in the first Halo were a drag. I suppose what bothered me most about what little I saw of the second one was what I felt was repetitive game-play. Just clearing one room after another is the kind of mindless shooter that does very little for me. Maybe I've been spoilt by Valve who are masters of pacing and seamlessly weaving narrative into the world that anything else tends to feel a little shallow. More than anything though, Halo just feels like it lacks any real personality and the world just has a certain "safe" bland vanilla feel to it.

I wouldn't call myself a PC purist or anything, just lacking in funds so sticking with a platform I already own just makes sense and the savings are generally worth missing out on the odd console exclusive title. By and large, a lot of the really good games come out on PC still and the prices tend to drop a lot more and indeed, more rapidly too than console titles.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 05:31 PM   #32
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Halo doesn't have the same impact when you play it on the PC because part of the appeal of Halo CE was that it was an FPS that played extremely well on a console, something unusual at the time. I used to be a PC purist, whenever I played shooters on consoles I always got frustrated by not having a keyboard and mouse, but when I first played Halo CE, I didn't have the same frustration. Halo really helped console shooters and drove them in the right direction
Very true. I used to belong to the same school of thought and didn't ever touch a console FPS. Halo proved to be very influential for the FPS genre, not only in terms of controls, but also with (semi-)innovations like well-designed vehicular combat, and restrictions to the amount of weapons one could carry around - making picking up new weapons a tough, strategic choice.

I enjoyed Halo 2 and 3, I prefer them both to the first game, but they didn't really innovate as much as the first game, they threw in some new weapons and abilities, but the core game remained the same. Also, they took away the pistol of doom. Sometimes I could take down a hunter with one shot on legendary difficulty using that pistol.
I'm curious, do you prefer H2 and H3 over the original because of singleplayer or multiplayer aspects? Or both? I for one think the original Halo: Combat Evolved is still unmatched in the franchise in terms of the multiplayer mechanics, skill-requirements and balancing.

My brother is a Halo fanboy and he's really psyched for Reach, so we've been playing through the the games over the last few months and I have to admit that Halo CE has some of the most boring level designs in a video game. Take that mission in the ice canyon where you walk through was is essentially the same room about two dozen times, it's really repetitive. Then, later in the game, you have to walk backwards through that same level! And don't even get me started on the library level. The best thing about Halo 2 and 3 is that they shook things up and you rarely feel like you're walking through through the same room twice.
I agree that the original Halo had some repetitive level designs - but it also had some of the best level geometry I have ever played in.

Silent Cartographer remains one of my favorite singleplayer and co-op environments to this day. It wasn't even that big a level, but it felt huge, and it gave you several routes and objectives to complete in whatever order you saw fit.

Halo 2 and 3 took away some of the more sandbox-y elements in the level design, they heavily restricted exploration via invisible barriers (H3 is especially guilty of this, H2 not so much) and they prohibited backtracking through the levels by cutting you off at certain points (mostly a hardware-related issue).

I would have hoped for more non-linear/semi-linear level designs in H2 and H3 - in short, more Silent Cartographer Reach looks promising in that area as well.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 05:58 PM   #33
Tomato
Rear Admiral

I really hope the campaign is epic. With all this hype about multi player now it would be great to see an amazing campaign. Can't wait for Reach.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 02:47 AM   #34
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

wasn't the original HALO meant to be a Sandbox RTS of sorts? *I believe the game was in development hell since the 80's*
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 03:02 AM   #35
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

It was originally going to be an RTS for Windows and MacOS, yes, but development certainly didn't start in the 1980s because Bungie didn't exist until 1991. Its first public unveil, as an RTS, was at MacWorld in 1999. In 2000, Microsoft bought the studio and Halo (the "Combat Evolved" subtitle was forced on Bungie by Microsoft, who was concerned that consumers would not look to a game titled Halo for an FPS) became an Xbox launch title.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 03:14 AM   #36
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Yeah, those level designs in the first Halo were a drag. I suppose what bothered me most about what little I saw of the second one was what I felt was repetitive game-play. Just clearing one room after another is the kind of mindless shooter that does very little for me.
The main thing I enjoy about the Halo games are the big action set-pieces and how epic it feels when you're in the middle of them. Sadly, there's not much of that in Halo CE, that game plays more like a standard FPS where you're a guy out to save the galaxy on your own, and most of the action takes place in rooms and corridors. The library level in particular bores me because it's just you in the same brown corridors for an hour or two shooting the same bad guys. There's only a couple of moments where Halo CE feels epic, such as the beginning of the Silent Cartographer mission, or the final warthog run.

Halo 2 is better in this regard, the action is bigger and most of the time you're working with a group of guys rather than on your own. Then, Halo 3 made things even bigger, most of the missions have at least 1 big action moment, and it's great fun trying to take down a Covenant scarab tank with a squad of rocket troopers on mongeese. This is one of the reasons why I wasn't a fan of ODST, all the big action set-pieces happened during the day, but the night-time section was just you on your own shooting your way through a repetitive city. There was some good moments, but it was mainly walking from courtyard to courtyard taking down Covenant troops on the way.

I wouldn't call myself a PC purist or anything, just lacking in funds so sticking with a platform I already own just makes sense and the savings are generally worth missing out on the odd console exclusive title. By and large, a lot of the really good games come out on PC still and the prices tend to drop a lot more and indeed, more rapidly too than console titles.
I only got a PS2 because I was a huge GTA fanboy and couldn't stand waiting for Vice City to show up on PC, and even then I tended to play the PC more. But with the Xbox 360, I really got into console gaming, it's nice to be able to play games with my feet up rather than being hunched at my desk. Now my PC is used only for strategy games, because you can't play a "proper" strategy game with anything other than a keyboard and mouse.

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I'm curious, do you prefer H2 and H3 over the original because of singleplayer or multiplayer aspects? Or both? I for one think the original Halo: Combat Evolved is still unmatched in the franchise in terms of the multiplayer mechanics, skill-requirements and balancing.
I only prefer the singleplayer games, I don't play much multiplayer, and when I do I don't mind the differences between the four games. But the most fun I had in Halo multiplayer was in Halo CE in a 1v1 match. The two of us were fairly evenly matched and we played the game very strategically. With all the extra weapons and abilities in the newer games, it probably wouldn't have been as tense.
Old September 12 2010, 07:16 AM   #37
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

I'll see you ALL in blood gulch *glove slap*
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 04:58 PM   #38
RESPCT
SPCTRE

Daily Fail: "Halo: Reach: Rocketman jets into Trafalgar Square to promote new Xbox game"

“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
Old September 13 2010, 05:30 PM   #39
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

That's fucking awesome.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 05:50 PM   #40
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

For once, the newspaper can be called the Daily Win. Just once!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 06:50 PM   #41
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Kneel before Zod, bitches!

Old September 13 2010, 07:00 PM   #42
RESPCT
SPCTRE

^ Awesome. Still waiting for my Legendary space crate to ship.
Old September 13 2010, 07:10 PM   #43
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

See you on XBL!

Old September 13 2010, 07:47 PM   #44
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Trivia: Matchmaking and other features are not online yet (it's imminent). At the end of the message there's a Bungie command that says: "Cool story, bro!"
LOL!!! I almost died laughing!

Old September 13 2010, 08:13 PM   #45
RESPCT
SPCTRE

^

Mythic Edition: