Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 11 2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Steam hacked.

I am getting really sick of these little wasters hacking everything...if its not places like amazon or Play its the PSN.......and now its steams turn.

Steam hacked

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
SPCTRE
Boobs

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile
Re: Steam hacked.

Jeez, not again.
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Amphibious Admiral

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Oh, goddammit.
Old November 11 2011, 02:20 PM   #4
SPCTRE
Boobs

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

The following is being IM’d to the Steam user base.
———————-
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users,
Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.
We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.
We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.
While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.
We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.
We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.
I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.
Gabe.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...ed/#more-81770
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 03:08 PM   #5
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I know that the passwords were hashed, but I changed it last night anyway just to be sure. Hopefully the worst that will happen is some increased spam mail.

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - The immortal Terry Pratchett
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, this is a better safe than sorry type situation. It doesn't appear your password or credit card info was seriously threatened, but I changed my password anyway.
Old November 11 2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Good thing I haven't actually bought anything on Steam yet. Both of the Steam games I have are part of free promotions, and neither of them work well on my computer anyway.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 09:33 PM   #8
captcalhoun
Admiral

motherfuckers
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 09:47 PM   #9
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

This is really torquing me off.

First I haven't even been able to log in to Steam for over a week and a half (even though it worked fine one day and didn't work later the same day, Steam insists the problem is on my end), so NONE of the 10 or 15 games I have bought on Steam are playable, but NOW maybe someone horked my credit card info from Steam as well?

I'm almost done with online business transactions PERIOD.

ETA: HA! HA HA HA!!! Now, today of all days, Steam decides to connect, just as I made it into the closed Beta for SWTOR and have no time for any of my Steam games. Figures!

Last edited by Chaos Descending; November 11 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Chaos Descending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I haven't used Steam in such a long time that it says I haven't used Steam on this computer, but that's wrong as I have a few things installed. I've only ever bought one game from there though. I should probably still change my password.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 11:28 PM   #11
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Bugger.

Sounds like a good a time as any to activate this new credit card that's been sat on my desk all week. Good thing I didn't do what I was supposed to and activate it right away!

I've also changed my password to something damn near unbreakable and changed the secret question too. I'm in no mood to have to have to get on the phone to a call centre in Bangalore and explain why some bloke in Easter Europe just maxed out my balance.

Last edited by Reverend; November 11 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 06:04 AM   #12
Ryan
Commodore

It's screwed up I had to hear this first from general news sites rather than from an email from Steam.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I didn't get an email either. Lots of people haven't apparently. I know lots of people gave Sony some heck, but I think they handled it well compared to this.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 11:32 AM   #14
John Clark
Commodore

I haven't received an email either. I haven't even tried to log on for a few days but there are very few of my details on their system anyway.
Old November 13 2011, 03:59 PM   #15
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

BTW, if you have separate email and steam passwords, a hacker can't access your steam account unless he has both (or is physically using your computer) thanks to Steam Guard.