Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 24 2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Quick Observations on The Augment Trilogy

First off, Persis is hot.

Toned, athletic body, tattered clothing...

*sigh*

I'm digressing...

Malik (or is it Malick?) was too dramatic, but a good villian. {He was a Khan wannabe; meaning that he wasn't written as a Khan rip-off, but a character who wanted to be like Khan}. I was surprised he didn't kill Soong at Cold Station 12, because Soong is a non-genetically engineered human and also Soong was pushing his authority onto Malick/Malik.

Travis didn't say much in the trilogy; on the other hand, Hoshi said a bit more. {Now, didn't Scotty have an episode or two in the classic series where he didn't say much, and had either one or two lines?} Anyway, I'm still watching the series, so I still want to see how Mr. Mayweather is handled. (He did have an interesting part in 'Home;' not a stretch mind you...and Hoshi looked delicious, in that same episode; she was in white shorts, red top, with nice legs; and her hair out).

I'm digressing again....

Hmm...where was I?

I wonder would Julian Bashir be considered an 'augment'? I recall his father made some 'adjustments' so Julian wouldn't fall behind in school; that action, of course, was illegal.

For some of the posters: What do you think happened with the other augmented embryos? {I forget if it was mentioned in the episode}.

Another question: Do you think it is possible for augmented individuals to live amongst society? {If we recall, Khan already left Earth after causing a ruckus; it was believed to be a myth that he existed, almost as if the world authorities wanted to keep it under wraps. Then there is Malick/Malik and his band looking to claim a world as their own, rationalizing the bullying of others in order to find that said world}.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2009, 10:46 PM   #2
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Re: Quick Observations on The Augment Trilogy

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
What do you think happened with the other augmented embryos? {I forget if it was mentioned in the episode}.
They don't survive the destruction of the stolen Bird-of-Prey. However enough genetic material is left floating in orbit of that Klingon colony for it to be fall in Dr. Antok's hands. See Affliction & Divergeance later in Season 4. Humans with previously unheard of strength and ability, capturing one of their vessels and killing its crew, you bet they're going to investigate that new threat. Definitely be concerned if the balance of power changed in a newcomers favour.
Old November 25 2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

^^

I'll check it out....

Thanks!
Old November 26 2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Admiral Shran
Admiral

My own observation is that Malik was not a very good villian. He was way too over the top (overly dramatic and arrogant to a point of ridiculousness). You know you're supposed to see him as a villain from the moment you first see him, and the producers never let you forget that fact.

Soong, on the other hand, was a good villian. He was a guy who had both good and bad qualities. He's devotion to what he believed were his children was admirable. However, he chose to follow a path of evil and wasn't overly arrogant about it. That makes him more villianous, in my opinion (he has the capacity for good, but sides with evil of his own free will).

As for Bashir, I can see how he might be considered an Augment, but there are differences. Bashir only had his mental capabilities augmented, along with his hand-eye coordination. His physical strength was not augmented like the 20th century genetically engineered humans. He was more like a Human-Augment hybrid.
Old November 26 2009, 01:16 AM   #5
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Do you think it is possible for augmented individuals to live amongst society?
Sure, why not? I'm sure not all augmented people would have a god complex.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Skywalker
Admiral

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
My own observation is that Malik was not a very good villian. He was way too over the top (overly dramatic and arrogant to a point of ridiculousness). You know you're supposed to see him as a villain from the moment you first see him, and the producers never let you forget that fact.
I agree with that. It was a waste of Alec Newman, IMO. I also thought the end of the third episode was a little too much, with Malik suddenly appearing on Enterprise after the Klingon ship had been destroyed.

Still, I'm a sucker for anything related to Khan and the Eugenics Wars, so I really enjoyed this trilogy.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2009, 01:31 AM   #7
billcosby
Commodore

The Augment Trilogy was easily one of the highest points of Enterprise. I think it really hit the spot in terms of what people were expecting from a prequel series. The production quality was top notch, Brent was perfectly seamed into the cast and the story wasn't too bad.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 12:45 AM   #8
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Only problem with this story was that it was repeated soooo many times in reruns....like every 3rd story ABC here aired was the Augments story.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Jbarney
Commander

I liked the effort....and didn't mind it as a way of explaining the Klingon ridged heads.
Old November 28 2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Soong, on the other hand, was a good villian. He was a guy who had both good and bad qualities. He's devotion to what he believed were his children was admirable. However, he chose to follow a path of evil and wasn't overly arrogant about it. That makes him more villianous, in my opinion (he has the capacity for good, but sides with evil of his own free will).

As for Bashir, I can see how he might be considered an Augment, but there are differences. Bashir only had his mental capabilities augmented, along with his hand-eye coordination. His physical strength was not augmented like the 20th century genetically engineered humans. He was more like a Human-Augment hybrid.
That's true...

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Do you think it is possible for augmented individuals to live amongst society?
Sure, why not? I'm sure not all augmented people would have a god complex.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I agree with that. It was a waste of Alec Newman, IMO. I also thought the end of the third episode was a little too much, with Malik suddenly appearing on Enterprise after the Klingon ship had been destroyed.

Still, I'm a sucker for anything related to Khan and the Eugenics Wars, so I really enjoyed this trilogy.
Yeah, his sudden appearance wasn't 'all that'....(Especially as he speaks so much of finding a world for all his people, he is just going to go and sacrifice those left alive)...

Btw, I almost had a thought that he will say something to the affect, while setting the BofPrey to explode: 'From hell's heart, I stab thee....I spit my last breath, at thee'....

Jbarney wrote: View Post
I liked the effort....and didn't mind it as a way of explaining the Klingon ridged heads.
Yeah, I like that too....
Old November 30 2009, 03:45 PM   #11
bluedana

The reason why Malik (Alec Newman) works as a villian for me is that he is so emotionally immature. He's raised by a sociopathic, meglomaniac genius for a "father," with no mitigating influences and a raging persecution complex. He's told over and over that he is better than humans. He wants what he wants, and he is like a child who cannot be told "no." He has the strength and the intellect, but no moral center and no emotional maturity or impulse control. If he had turned around and said, "Oh, what's the best way to achieve this result," I would have called foul. He's a child in a superhuman's body, and by the end, even Soong understands what he has raised and unleashed.
Old December 2 2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander

O'Brian was right.
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 08:39 PM   #13
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Guardian Bob wrote: View Post
O'Brian was right.
Old December 6 2009, 05:12 AM   #14
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

bluedana wrote: View Post
The reason why Malik (Alec Newman) works as a villian for me is that he is so emotionally immature. He's raised by a sociopathic, meglomaniac genius for a "father," with no mitigating influences and a raging persecution complex. He's told over and over that he is better than humans. He wants what he wants, and he is like a child who cannot be told "no." He has the strength and the intellect, but no moral center and no emotional maturity or impulse control. If he had turned around and said, "Oh, what's the best way to achieve this result," I would have called foul. He's a child in a superhuman's body, and by the end, even Soong understands what he has raised and unleashed.
Yes I agree. He was really a child villain, not a fully fledged villain. It was a bunch of lunatic children who were emotionally stunted from their upbringing but thought themselves superior to the rest of the universe. Add to that mix superhuman abilities and the cunning they would have honed being left alone on that planet without any adult to care for them and you had a dangerous pack of augments.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 01:57 AM   #15
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

^^
Reminds of Red Squad from 'Valiant.'

They were the 'best of the best' and thought that they didn't have to answer to anyone or anything.

Their cockiness (sp?) got them in trouble centuries later, like what happened to the augments...