RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 537
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 12 2010, 05:40 PM   #1
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile
Writers in need of help: Chekov question

As this seemed to work so well with an earlier question of Scottishness, I'm throwing another one out there.

Can anyone with a copy of Vulcan's Soul: Exodus tell me if there's a date attached to Chekov's command of the USS Undaunted and his first contact with the Watraii? I'm trying to get a feel for when he left his post as XO of the Excelsior (late 2290s?) and took his own command...

Any timeliner help will be gratefully appreciated.
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Writers in need of help: Chekov question

I just skimmed through my copy of Exodus and couldn't find a date. Regarding the first contact with the Watraii he only says:

"Back in the days vhen I was still captaining the U.S.S. Undaunted, ve encountered von of their ships, and I got a glimpse of those strange masks they seem to like."
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
ares93
Commodore

i managed to dig out two different years. 2377 and 2373 for the watraii. dunno about his captaincy. thing is, i have a digital copy so i can search more easily but i didn't find anything relevant.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

ares93 wrote: View Post
i managed to dig out two different years. 2377 and 2373 for the watraii. dunno about his captaincy. thing is, i have a digital copy so i can search more easily but i didn't find anything relevant.
Those dates aren't really relevant for the question. In 2373 Chekov is teaching cadets and is instructed to speed up the teaching process to churn out new personnel faster. And 2377 is the date of the attack of the Watraii that sets off the events of Exodus, the "now" of the novel.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
ares93
Commodore

Defcon wrote: View Post
ares93 wrote: View Post
Those dates aren't really relevant for the question. In 2373 Chekov is teaching cadets and is instructed to speed up the teaching process to churn out new personnel faster. And 2377 is the date of the attack of the Watraii that sets off the events of Exodus, the "now" of the novel.
well, its all i found. never mind then. the entire book is a bit confusing.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.

Last edited by Northern Flatfoot; September 12 2010 at 07:54 PM.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 09:53 AM   #6
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

Thanks, chaps. Much appreciated...
James Swallow is offline   Reply With Quote