Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 5 2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Graywand2
Commander

Why does Germany get the cool novel covers?

I've been looking at the novel covers for the German releases of Star Trek: Destiny and I realize that they look so much cooler, at least in my opinion, then the US-Canadian, etc ones. Not to demean the efforts of the people who drew and designed them of course.

-Spongebob Squarepants.
Graywand2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Why does Germany get the cool novel covers?

Wow, nice hair, Ezri.
Old September 5 2010, 03:29 PM   #3
SPCTRE
That Wizard

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

From what I've gathered reading their forums (I don't own the German version of Destiny myself), one of the reasons is that the German publisher Cross Cult got their hands on a very talented artist, Martin Frei, to do the Destiny trilogy covers.

Judging from the statements on their forums, the guys at Cross Cult are actually Star Trek fans themselves and get a kick out of the new covers as well

"It would not be an Ubisoft game if you didn’t need to reach a high point and look around like a confused pigeon."
- Brendan Caldwell
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 03:54 PM   #4
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Wow. That is an amazing cover.

Who knew?
Old September 5 2010, 04:00 PM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I prefer the Ezri on "our" Destiny cover.

And early version of Ezri on the German one on SPCTRE's avatar!

I'd love to see what Cult Cross could do with Kobayashi Maru, The Romulan War, Full Circle and Unworthy, which all had terribly lame/boring/uninteresting covers, IMO.
Old September 5 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
ares93
Commodore

yeah, it looks good but i prefer the INT cover. hate the hair btw... anyway i think i have the pic they based Ezri on. both the original and the shopped star trek pic
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I'd love to see what Cult Cross could do with Kobayashi Maru, The Romulan War.
They're starting to publish Enterprise novels in April of 2011 with Last Full Measure, so you might get your wish if they decide to do new covers for the novels you mentioned (they're not doing new covers for every book).

You can see all available covers of the Star Trek books by Cross Cult here on Memory Beta.

There's a newer version for A Stitch in Time, but I haven't updated it yet at MB, since it isn't confirmed as the final version either and don't want to have to update the covers all the time (sometimes they're kind of indecisive with the covers, see the Gods of Night cover):

Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 05:37 PM   #8
chelly
Commander

I think alot of the german covers are really nice. Though they do use the same covers for some of the books. I wonder why they decide to change them if they do?
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 05:45 PM   #9
kkozoriz1
Fleet Captain

Wow, that's a really nice cover for A Stitch in Time/
kkozoriz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

chelly wrote: View Post
I think alot of the german covers are really nice. Though they do use the same covers for some of the books. I wonder why they decide to change them if they do?
Well, they have stated that they mostly change the cover when they don't like the original version.

Cross Cult developed out of a company who did (and still does) the lettering, coloring and layout for bigger comic publishers here in Germany even before they started to publish first comics and now novels themselves, so I guess they're a tad more interested in the covers than traditional book publishers like Heyne, who held the rights for German Star TRek books in the past and IIRC never did new covers.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 07:07 PM   #11
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

foreign covers are usually more interesting. especially movie posters, some really neat ones out there as opposed to what we get. and i like Ezri's hair better in the German cover.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Defcon wrote: View Post
There's a newer version for A Stitch in Time, but I haven't updated it yet at MB, since it isn't confirmed as the final version either and don't want to have to update the covers all the time (sometimes they're kind of indecisive with the covers, see the Gods of Night cover):
Who do we have to lobby at Pocket Books to get them to reprint A Stitch in Time with that cover? Seriously, that's an awesome cover, as compared to the Sonia Helios cover which was, to be charitable, not very enticing at all and, by all reports, hurt sales on the book.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2010, 02:19 AM   #13
bazinga99
Ensign

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Who do we have to lobby at Pocket Books to get them to reprint A Stitch in Time with that cover? Seriously, that's an awesome cover, as compared to the Sonia Helios cover which was, to be charitable, not very enticing at all and, by all reports, hurt sales on the book.
Who do we have to lobby to get a reprint of A Stitch in Time period. Not cool to pay $20 online for it...
bazinga99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2010, 02:20 AM   #14
TGTheodore
Writer

I remember that Australia and Great Britain always got REALLY cool poster art for the TOS movies, especially STIII. We got a chiseled head outline of Spock, and they got a very cool montage of all the cast members and an outstanding face of Spock.

--Ted
Old September 6 2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

bazinga99 wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Who do we have to lobby to get a reprint of A Stitch in Time period. Not cool to pay $20 online for it...
I picked it up a few months ago for two quid!

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote