Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 5 2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Jack Reacher Novels

I was pleasantly surprised to find the latest Lee Child novel 61 Hours at my bookstore here in Taipei.
The new mass market paperback usually comes out in March or April, but I guess Mr. Child is working a bit faster (the next one comes out soon)
If you don't know who the character Jack reacher is:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_reacher

So, have you read them?

I'm happy to find an author I like who shows no signs of getting tired of writing about their pet character. It's comforting to know that basically every year he'll write an enjoyable Reacher book for the foreseeable future.

Inevitably many people discuss who could play Reacher if they make a movie.
I usually have an ambiguous image in my head when I read novels...I may not really put a face on the character...they are the size they should be, with a hairstyle, but the facial features may never solidify for me.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Jack Reacher Novels

I've got all of them except this one and the new hardback - they're great. I like the first-person ones best (even though I usually hate first-person)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

The Jack Reacher novels are the crack cocaine of literature. They can't be good for you but they are ridiculously addictive.

They also remind me of The Simpsons, in that you have no idea where they will go, even if you've read the blurb on the back. There will be an opening sequence which involves Reacher in the story, then where it goes from there is anyone's guess. Lee Child is brilliant at putting in unlikely bits of information and facts to drive the story along - the bit about suicide bombers in Gone Tomorrow or stuff about the printing of dollar bills in one of the early novels.

Apparently Chris McQuarrie of The Usual Suspects fame is to write and direct an adaptation of One Shot, which is the first novel to be filmed (if all goes to plan) though not the first novel in the series. But who could play Reacher? He's described as 6'5", built like a brick shithouse, thinning blond hair.

I always imagine Adam Baldwin in the role (with a hair dye job); I could see him giving Reacher a suitably sardonic delivery. However, it's unlikely that a studio would cast a character actor like him in the role. If they started at the beginning of the series, with the prequel novel where Reacher is still in the army, then Alexander Skaarsgard is a physically good match.

I just hope they don't completely f*ck it up, the way the movie adaptation of my other favourite thriller character, Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger was f*cked from the start by the casting of Mark Wahlberg, as a character who should have been played by Chris Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones or a more grizzled Kevin Bacon.
Old September 5 2010, 03:57 PM   #4
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

I love the books. Hubby devoured them as fast as I could get them to him.

Not sure what he'd have thought of this last one and the title of the next.

Hopefully Child isn't pulling a Richard Castle on his main man.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Lee Child has said that he knows how and when Reacher will die. I can tell you whether or not the ending of the last novel fits the bill!
Old September 6 2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Could you explain what you mean by "Richard Castle' acientone51? i googled and saw that he's a character on a TV how that's an author, but I'd like some help.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

In the first episode of the TV series Castle the titular author had just killed off the lead character in his best selling, long running detective series.

It set up the premise for him following/working with the female cop to "research" his new character for a new series of books.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 10:50 AM   #8
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

One of the things that interests me about the Reacher books is that the Readership is 2/3 women when you'd assume it would be mostly men.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Lonemagpie
Writer

ancientone51 wrote: View Post
I love the books. Hubby devoured them as fast as I could get them to him.

Not sure what he'd have thought of this last one and the title of the next.

Hopefully Child isn't pulling a Richard Castle on his main man.
Well, you could look at the official site...

http://www.leechild.com/WDF.php

There's also an great excerpt on that page.

61 Hours appeared in paperback in our local store on Monday, and I guess it's a long wait till the end of the month

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 09:33 PM   #10
flandry84
Captain

I've always pictured Reacher as Russel Crowe as he appeared in "L A confidential".

But taller..
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 03:33 AM   #11
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I just hope they don't completely f*ck it up, the way the movie adaptation of my other favourite thriller character, Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger was f*cked from the start by the casting of Mark Wahlberg, as a character who should have been played by Chris Cooper, Tommy Lee Jones or a more grizzled Kevin Bacon.
I'm hoping they won't screw up Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp. They changed the villains in Ton Clancy's Sum of All Fears from Muslim terrorists to European Neo-Nazis and pussiified the movie. I'm not sure who they should cast as Rapp but I'll know if they're wrong or right when they ever get around to making one. They really need to have good casting for these types of characters.