RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,737
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1149
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 11 2010, 07:41 PM   #106
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: RLM finally did it / Plinkett reviews Star Trek

Yes, obviously he mentioned flaws in Trek XI. What I meant of course, was that there were many he could have addressed and didn't. RLM isn't a straight-forward movie reviewer, he's a comedic reviewer. So even movies that he may have liked should be picked apart for funny material. Yes he does that to an EXTENT here of course, but it is definitely toned down. Seriously, look back at his reviews of Trek VII-X, AND SW episodes I and II, and compare them to this one.

Now even if you say Trek XI is significantly better than any of those six films, there's no reason to lay off as much as he did.

Look, the reviews are mostly for fun anyway, interspersed with good points, so we're overanalyzing of course. I was just disappointed that it was less funny and less critical than his previous Star Trek/Star Wars reviews.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 11:30 PM   #107
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

sonak wrote: View Post
Yes, obviously he mentioned flaws in Trek XI. What I meant of course, was that there were many he could have addressed and didn't. RLM isn't a straight-forward movie reviewer, he's a comedic reviewer. So even movies that he may have liked should be picked apart for funny material. Yes he does that to an EXTENT here of course, but it is definitely toned down. Seriously, look back at his reviews of Trek VII-X, AND SW episodes I and II, and compare them to this one.

Now even if you say Trek XI is significantly better than any of those six films, there's no reason to lay off as much as he did.

Look, the reviews are mostly for fun anyway, interspersed with good points, so we're overanalyzing of course. I was just disappointed that it was less funny and less critical than his previous Star Trek/Star Wars reviews.
He mentioned almost EVERY flaw that everyone here and around the internet has come up with since the movie came out. . . it's obvious that the people behind this review had their fingers on the pulse of fandom. . . (hell, they could be lurking in these boards and others for all we know), but he also acknowledged that ST09 had a specific job to do as a film, make Star Trek relevant to a wider 21st Century audience given the state of film making these days, and it did its job almost flawlessly, so he was not going to nitpick it to death. The job of the TNG films were to be, as Gaith said earlier, "a serious continuation of the TNG story" and they didn't live up to that, so even if they were good films, and only "First Contact" was, RLM was going to point out all the flaws that detracted from their stated purpose. . .

He was not dishonest about his review, he says up front that as long as the flaws didn't derail the story and purpose of the movie, that they don't matter for ST09. . . did you miss that part waiting for him to tear down the film?

~FS
Old September 12 2010, 04:33 AM   #108
tauntme
Lieutenant Commander

sonak wrote: View Post

He showed what he felt were flaws, and that's it. It is after all his review.

What you or I think about the movie is irrelevant.
tauntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 05:28 AM   #109
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
People seem to now have this expectation that this guy will just tear everything apart.
Given that he did that for like 6 or 7 movies, you might understand why people would have such expectations. And part of that is what made him popular.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 07:57 PM   #110
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Spock had a "creepy Oedipus complex?"

In all my viewings, this I missed.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 09:28 PM   #111
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I find it funny that people complain that Winona Ryder looked too young to be Sock's mom. So they're experts on 23rd-century Federation anti-winkle cream, are they?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 10:12 PM   #112
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yeah, I find it funny that people complain that Winona Ryder looked too young to be Sock's mom. So they're experts on 23rd-century Federation anti-winkle cream, are they?
Nah, she didn't look like a woman old enough to have a 20-something son. Trek's been... "fair" with how old people are verses how old they look all things considered but Winona did look too young to be Spock's mom even with the, mild, aging they gave her even further considering she's living on a planet with much harsher solar radiation than her species is used to. (i.e. She's a human living on Vulcan.)

As for an Oedipus Complex? I could... "see" it, but I also not like I could blame Spock. But I doubt any Oedpedial-ness was intended.
Old September 13 2010, 10:59 PM   #113
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Trek's been... "fair" with how old people are verses how old they look all things considered but Winona did look too young to be Spock's mom even with the, mild, aging they gave her even further considering she's living on a planet with much harsher solar radiation than her species is used to. (i.e. She's a human living on Vulcan.)
JJ Trek is shaking lots of stuff up... no reason it can't shake up anti-wrinkle cream efficiency while they're at it. And if the environment is so harsh, all the more reason for her to slather it on!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2010, 04:36 AM   #114
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

the Oedipus complex reference might have been a joke. After all Ryder is an attractive woman.
Old September 15 2010, 02:01 AM   #115
Nerd unRage
Commander

And they did try to age her as much as possible considering she's only like 6 or 7 years older than Zachary Quinto.
Old September 15 2010, 11:07 AM   #116
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Nerd unRage wrote: View Post
And they did try to age her as much as possible considering she's only like 6 or 7 years older than Zachary Quinto.
They failed. Lea Thompson is the same age as Michael J. Fox but they managed to use makeup to age her to appear to be 20 years older in the Back to the Future movies. Even the overly plastic-surgeried Lorraine in 1985-A.
Old September 15 2010, 05:19 PM   #117
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Why didn’t they just give the role to an age-appropriate actress?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 05:36 PM   #118
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

captrek wrote: View Post
There's a deleted scene of young [pregnant] Amanda and young Sarek during Spock's birth, to sort of coincide with the birth of Kirk. They used Winona for both old and young Amanda, obviously, for continuity reasons. Now they did put some old-age makeup on Winona, you can tell, but it doesn't seem extreme enough which, yeah, I guess we can chalk up to aging just not being as drastic in the 23rdC.
Old September 15 2010, 05:56 PM   #119
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
There's a deleted scene of young [pregnant] Amanda and young Sarek during Spock's birth, to sort of coincide with the birth of Kirk. They used Winona for both old and young Amanda
So find two actresses that look like the same person at different ages. For example, Leelee Sobieski and Helen Hunt.

Even in 2010, aging makeup seems to be something Hollywood hasn’t quite got a handle on. Every now and then they do a good job — F. Murray Abraham looks very believable as an old man in Amadeus — but usually they come off looking like young people in old makeup, especially if they’re trying to age the character by ~30 years.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2010, 12:35 AM   #120
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

So find two actresses that look like the same person at different ages. For example, Leelee Sobieski and Helen Hunt.

Even in 2010, aging makeup seems to be something Hollywood hasn’t quite got a handle on. Every now and then they do a good job — F. Murray Abraham looks very believable as an old man in Amadeus — but usually they come off looking like young people in old makeup, especially if they’re trying to age the character by ~30 years.
The didn't have money for a decent engineering set; you really think they were going to pay 2 actresses to play the same part -- she also had a scene at Spock's school with Sarek after the bullying scene -- when they could get one actress and just put make-up on her? Ryder's makeup wasn't bad, and most people didn't recognize her until the credits. . .

~FS