RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 480
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 30 2010, 07:57 AM   #31
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: 62nd Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion

Ricky Gervais hosted the Emmy's a few years back. He was great. He needs to come back.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 09:01 AM   #32
Data Holmes
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Ricky Gervais hosted the Emmy's a few years back. He was great. He needs to come back.
The networks are afraid of him. He's known to go off script and say some things which, while funny as hell, tend to piss some people off.
Old August 30 2010, 09:53 AM   #33
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ Which is why he needs to come back. He's absolutely brilliant.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 10:31 AM   #34
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

And as we all know, Emmys are like Oscars - sometimes people win them as a make-up. That's why Hall and Dexter are owed. Lost also might be owed another Emmy just for the whole span of what the show accomplished, but I'd prefer if Dexter got it since Lost won once already. I just hope that godawful overrated snoozefest Mad Men doesn't win anything, although I know how futile a sentiment that is.
Mad Men won best drama. Sorry for your pain.
Old August 30 2010, 10:49 AM   #35
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

stj wrote: View Post
Rooting for Jim Parsons for best actor in comedy, Aaron Paul as best supporting actor in a drama, Kyra Sedgwick as best actress in a drama. Bryan Cranston for best actor in a drama has been done, but it's a better role and performance than Michael C. Hall as Dexter.
Your predictions all came true. Can you predict my love life? My professional career?

Whatever you have... I want it.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 02:55 PM   #36
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
^ Which is why he needs to come back. He's absolutely brilliant.
Indeed ... he was awesome, as I watch it now.

Very happy about Jim Parsons winning. And I'm another person who doesn't understand why modern familty is popular.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 03:23 PM   #37
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
HBO seems dominate alot of awards.
That was definitely true a while ago (and is still in the miniseries category), but AMC is the new awards titan: between Breaking Bad and Mad Men, they won Best Drama, Best Actor Drama, Best Supporting Actor Drama, and Best Writing Drama - four of the seven drama awards.

Actually, going over this by network among just the comedy/drama categories:

AMC - 4 (Drama, Actor Drama, Supporting Actor Drama, Writing Drama)
ABC - 3 (Comedy, Supporting Actor Comedy, Writing Comedy)
FOX - 2 (Supporting Actress Comedy, Directing Comedy)
CBS - 2 (Actor Comedy, Supporting Actor Drama)
Showtime - 2 (Actress Comedy, Directing Drama)
TNT - 1 (Actress Drama)

Man, NBC really sucks.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; August 30 2010 at 07:15 PM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 03:50 PM   #38
Too Much Fun
Commodore

It's weird how Al Pacino's film career has been so lackluster for awhile now (though at least it's not really embarrassing like De Niro's), but he seems to do stellar work on TV (I recall him winning awards for a miniseries a few years ago too). Brian Cranston winning builds my anticipation for "Breaking Bad", which I'm all set to start catching up on soon.

The only shows currently running that I watch are "How I Met Your Mother", "The Big Bang Theory", "Louie", "Futurama", and "Weeds", so the only win that meant anything to me was Jim Parsons. Obviously "Weeds" is considered past its prime by everyone and shows/actors only win awards when they're considered 'hot'. I wish Mary Louise Parker had won one before her show had fallen off the Emmy radar, but the Emmys always overlook many people.

Any time I feel like something I like was robbed, I remember three things. They mostly ignored "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (of course "Hush" was awesome, but there were many, many just as worthy episodes and performances that were overlooked), gave away many writing awards that should have gone to "The X-Files", and nominated but never actually gave an award to Frank Gorshin for playing The Riddler (I don't even have to know who was nominated the same year to know his iconic role was the rightful winner).

Clearly they're prone to making bad calls and their choices shouldn't be taken too seriously. I would love to see "Louie" get some awards next year after what a great season the show has had, but I doubt it will happen since they tend to award 'safe' shows, making a show as original and daring as that one an unlikely candidate.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 03:57 PM   #39
stj
Rear Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Can you predict my love life? My professional career?
Your most steadfast love is close to hand.
You will never be appreciated the way you should be.

It was a lucky night for me, wasn't it?
Old August 30 2010, 04:37 PM   #40
Jax
Admiral

So glad that Jim Parsons and John Lithgow won

Theres are still WTF awards that makes me consider the Emmy's are nothing more than a cheap joke, which was all but confirmed a long time ago with how West Wing dominated for 4 years but Sheen never won in 7 years...

Dexter still to win best show but Mad Men wins its third consecutive Emmy, GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK. Then again True Blood just getting nominated is a joke in itself. Hugh Laurie will probably never win either or get nominated again and am sorry despite the show slight dip due to old age, FFS what does he have to do to win...same goes for Michael C Hall.

The Big Bang didn't even get nominated
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 05:29 PM   #41
Geck
Rear Admiral

It was a fairly entertaining awards show and moved along at a decent clip. The movie/miniseries bit tended to drag, but probably just because I'd never seen or heard of any of them.

Nice to see a lot of people win who hadn't won before, even if Kyra Sedgwick was the only real surprise. I thought she was another of those who'd get nominated every year and never win, a la Hugh Laurie. I don't even know a single person who watches The Closer.

I thought Lost might get one award. Did they get any of the technical ones last week? I'm also disappointed that Dexter still doesn't get much recognition. Hall for sure deserves one, and I'll never be satisfied till Jennifer Carpenter gets a Supporting Actress nom.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 06:28 PM   #42
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Anyone who hasn't seen Temple Grandin should absolutely see it. It's one of my favourite TV movies. Like Rainman? You'll like it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 06:59 PM   #43
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Jim Parsons wins.. what a great achievement and well deserved. Without that man Big Bang wouldn't be such a hit so i'm very happy for him and you could see his surprise at winning.

It was a nice show, awful teleprompter jokes as always (the only ones i really laughed at was Ricky Gervais and the True Blood cast making a Vampire pun and obviously enjoying it) but it went by swiftly.

However someone needs to seriously think of a new way to present such awards.. when i was still watching MTV about a decade ago the MTV Movie awards were a blast with their weird categories and special awards.. that was the most entertaining awards show ever.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 07:58 PM   #44
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

John Hodgeman as color commentator was awesome, though. After about halfway through the awards show, I was wondering if people were actually listening to his comments. They were hilarious.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 08:26 PM   #45
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Anyone who hasn't seen Temple Grandin should absolutely see it.
I agree, it is a very good film. I was very happy to hear that Claire Danes won an Emmy for her performance.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote