RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,214
Posts: 5,346,702
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 608
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 15 2010, 02:53 AM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Don't Hassle the Hoff

I'm not a huge fan of the Comedy Central Rosts, many times I find the jokes too centered on vulgarity and, well, that's pretty much all they are. Just vulgar, crass, jokes. William Shatner roast was the last one I really watched and, ugh. I mean, I get that it's a "roast" but can these comics really not think of any other jokes to make except for strongly vulgar ones?

Anyway, I may have to watch the next CC Roast they're doing in August they're taking on...

__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Gary Mitchell
Admiral
 
Gary Mitchell's Avatar
 
Location: ¯\_(°·O)_/¯ Florida
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

My eyes!! If I have nightmares after seeing that I'll have you to thank.


The Shatner roast was the first and last of those I'll watch. I don't mind vulgar stuff but this was just over the top and not even funny.
There should have been more people who actually knew William Shatner there. I've only seen clips of the old Dean Martin roasts but they seemed like a lot more fun.
__________________
Born when she kissed me, died when she left me, lived whilst she loved me.
Gary Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 04:30 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
My eyes!! If I have nightmares after seeing that I'll have you to thank.


The Shatner roast was the first and last of those I'll watch. I don't mind vulgar stuff but this was just over the top and not even funny.
There should have been more people who actually knew William Shatner there. I've only seen clips of the old Dean Martin roasts but they seemed like a lot more fun.
Same here, I've no problems at all with vulgar comedy but moderation, context and use is all key. But just going into OTT vulgar sexual humor like they did in the Shatner Roast was just not my cup of tea. And Andy Dick's "Kock" story (speaking as the offspring of a paring of Kirk and Spock) was just... ugh. I know the whole "Kirk and Spock were lovers" thing is a huge, stupid, slash-fiction thing but geeezzzeee. And Andy Dick is about as funny as a kick to the nuts by someone with one of those Klingon boots with a spike on the toe-cap.

But, I may tune in to see this Hoff thing as, really, the guy has set himself up for a lot of it, I just hope they don't cross some lines given his life troubles. I'd prefer some more genuine humor. I mean, sure, roast the guy, but not all of the jokes have to be sexual in nature I think we be more creative than that.

I mean, come on, the guy was upstaged by a Trans-Am!
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 06:36 AM   #4
flipjack
Lieutenant
 
flipjack's Avatar
 
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

A roast is supposed to be of a successful, well respected person by a bunch of his friends, not of a guy with recent video of him drunkenly eating a sandwich off the floor. Someone didn't think this though, and it has a good possibility of ending badly.

Anyway, obligatory eyebleach Hoff gif:

flipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
My eyes!! If I have nightmares after seeing that I'll have you to thank.


The Shatner roast was the first and last of those I'll watch. I don't mind vulgar stuff but this was just over the top and not even funny.
There should have been more people who actually knew William Shatner there. I've only seen clips of the old Dean Martin roasts but they seemed like a lot more fun.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
My eyes!! If I have nightmares after seeing that I'll have you to thank.


The Shatner roast was the first and last of those I'll watch. I don't mind vulgar stuff but this was just over the top and not even funny.
There should have been more people who actually knew William Shatner there. I've only seen clips of the old Dean Martin roasts but they seemed like a lot more fun.
Same here, I've no problems at all with vulgar comedy but moderation, context and use is all key. But just going into OTT vulgar sexual humor like they did in the Shatner Roast was just not my cup of tea. And Andy Dick's "Kock" story (speaking as the offspring of a paring of Kirk and Spock) was just... ugh. I know the whole "Kirk and Spock were lovers" thing is a huge, stupid, slash-fiction thing but geeezzzeee. And Andy Dick is about as funny as a kick to the nuts by someone with one of those Klingon boots with a spike on the toe-cap.

But, I may tune in to see this Hoff thing as, really, the guy has set himself up for a lot of it, I just hope they don't cross some lines given his life troubles. I'd prefer some more genuine humor. I mean, sure, roast the guy, but not all of the jokes have to be sexual in nature I think we be more creative than that.

I mean, come on, the guy was upstaged by a Trans-Am!
flipjack wrote: View Post
A roast is supposed to be of a successful, well respected person by a bunch of his friends, not of a guy with recent video of him drunkenly eating a sandwich off the floor. Someone didn't think this though, and it has a good possibility of ending badly.

Anyway, obligatory eyebleach Hoff gif:

Sorry, everybody, but sexual humor is a part of life, and the Shat was set up for it due to the 'Kirk is a ladies man' meme running through Star Trek:TOS. Also, the younger generation (and some of the older ones) aren't going to be telling crappy, corny lame jokes; they'll be getting to the meat and potatoes of the matter in a given subject's life. As for 'Kock', again, the fans started this up; they will have to put up with what they've wrought. This is the Richard Pryor/George Carlin generation of comedians, not the cornball ones that populated the Dean Martin roast, and they tell jokes about sex (the Python guys do the same thing too.)
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 07:21 AM   #6
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
This is the Richard Pryor/George Carlin generation of comedians, not the cornball ones that populated the Dean Martin roast, and they tell jokes about sex (the Python guys do the same thing too.)
Except that Pryor, Carlin and the Pythons were FUNNY.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 07:28 AM   #7
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

scotpens wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
This is the Richard Pryor/George Carlin generation of comedians, not the cornball ones that populated the Dean Martin roast, and they tell jokes about sex (the Python guys do the same thing too.)
Except that Pryor, Carlin and the Pythons were FUNNY.
Exactly.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

scotpens wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
This is the Richard Pryor/George Carlin generation of comedians, not the cornball ones that populated the Dean Martin roast, and they tell jokes about sex (the Python guys do the same thing too.)
Except that Pryor, Carlin and the Pythons were FUNNY.
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
This is the Richard Pryor/George Carlin generation of comedians, not the cornball ones that populated the Dean Martin roast, and they tell jokes about sex (the Python guys do the same thing too.)
Except that Pryor, Carlin and the Pythons were FUNNY.
Exactly.
Pryor, Carlin & The Pythons, were funny, yes, but their humor was also sometimes scatological (at least the first two) and somewhat vulgar-NOT corny. What you want are nothing but corny jokes that barely work, mostly because like most Americans, you're way too prudish when it comes to sexual and
scatological matters, so you blanch when they are spoken. If you can't stand the current roasts, I suggest that the both of you stick to the old ones and 'quit yer bitching', as Ann Landers used to say, or get a bong, get high, and lighten up.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 11:12 AM   #9
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Ridiculously vulgar jokes are those roasts' raison d'etre. Call it crass and unfunny all you want, but you're missing the point. It's funny because they're going so ridiculously over the top.

It's an hour and a half of "Oh yeah? Can you top THIS?" Some of the jokes suck in and of themselves, but when woven into a tapestry of disgusting one-upsmanship it becomes funny.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
My eyes!! If I have nightmares after seeing that I'll have you to thank.


The Shatner roast was the first and last of those I'll watch. I don't mind vulgar stuff but this was just over the top and not even funny.
There should have been more people who actually knew William Shatner there. I've only seen clips of the old Dean Martin roasts but they seemed like a lot more fun.
I spent one boring Saturday evening watching some of the old Dean Martin roasts on YouTube. The best ones are where the late-Foster Brooks is performing.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Gary Mitchell
Admiral
 
Gary Mitchell's Avatar
 
Location: ¯\_(°·O)_/¯ Florida
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Pryor, Carlin & The Pythons, were funny, yes, but their humor was also sometimes scatological (at least the first two) and somewhat vulgar-NOT corny. What you want are nothing but corny jokes that barely work, mostly because like most Americans, you're way too prudish when it comes to sexual and
scatological matters, so you blanch when they are spoken. If you can't stand the current roasts, I suggest that the both of you stick to the old ones and 'quit yer bitching', as Ann Landers used to say, or get a bong, get high, and lighten up.
I guess that's the solution for everything, huh? Instead of something that's actually funny, get high and that makes even Andy Dick funny, right?
__________________
Born when she kissed me, died when she left me, lived whilst she loved me.
Gary Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 09:07 PM   #12
JRS
Fleet Captain
 
JRS's Avatar
 
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Send a message via Yahoo to JRS
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

flipjack wrote: View Post
Anyway, obligatory eyebleach Hoff gif:

Good..GOD! Thats just..
__________________
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 12:06 AM   #13
TheMurph
Rear Admiral
 
TheMurph's Avatar
 
Location: TN
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Pryor, Carlin & The Pythons, were funny, yes, but their humor was also sometimes scatological (at least the first two) and somewhat vulgar-NOT corny. What you want are nothing but corny jokes that barely work, mostly because like most Americans, you're way too prudish when it comes to sexual and
scatological matters, so you blanch when they are spoken. If you can't stand the current roasts, I suggest that the both of you stick to the old ones and 'quit yer bitching', as Ann Landers used to say, or get a bong, get high, and lighten up.
Vulgarity isn't the issue as much as the lack of funny. The comedians you mentioned knew just the right amount of vulgarity to put into something to make it outrageous and funny. To season the joke if you will. The ones that do the roasts now are just flinging shit and hoping to be hip and edgy.

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Ridiculously vulgar jokes are those roasts' raison d'etre. Call it crass and unfunny all you want, but you're missing the point. It's funny because they're going so ridiculously over the top.

It's an hour and a half of "Oh yeah? Can you top THIS?" Some of the jokes suck in and of themselves, but when woven into a tapestry of disgusting one-upsmanship it becomes funny.
No, no it doesn't.
__________________
Nope.
TheMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 12:29 AM   #14
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

TheMurph wrote: View Post
No, no it doesn't.
Well, since you put it that way, I change my opinion on the whole thing!

Look, humour's highly subjective. Look no further than Two and a Half Men still being on the air for proof.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 01:05 AM   #15
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Don't Hassle the Hoff

Saying "humour is subjective" does not make crap like the Shatner roast funny.
I have absolutely no problem with comedy that involves horrendous vulgarity so long as it's COMEDY not a bunch of juvenile nonsense that uses rude words as a crutch in lieu of anything that's actually funny.

Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy (back in the day), Billy Connolly Chris Rock, Eddie Izzard, Robin Williams; these are all hilariously funny stand-ups who's acts typically consisted of a LOT of vulgarity, but the vulgarity wasn't the reason they were funny. At least not the sole reason and certainly not the main reason...that is assuming you have an IQ greater than a concussed budgerigar who's lost his little mirror.
They were funny because they are (or in some cases, were) sharp, insightful, intelligent and entertaining. Take all that away and you're left with a bunch of idiots spewing obscenities, which is what I saw at the Shatner roast. That and some issues that George bless him should have really been discussing with his therapist. Bill may have been a complete cock to him 40 years ago but bloody hell, get over it man!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
the hoff

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.