CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 27 2010, 02:52 AM   #1
2 of 10
Captain

Why no Jadzia...

Was at the bookstore and brought the latest Star Trek magazine. In the entire mag there was no mention or photo
of one of the most dynamic characters on any Trek series. The host of Curzon and was also surly one of the most on DS-9. She was on for 6 of the 7 seasons, yet for some reason the give more space
for her replacement. I have nothing against Ezri, however, she was no Jadzia.

I realize that Terry decided (still can't figure out why she
wanted out) But the way that she has been totally ignored
really bothers me.

In the last ep "What you leave Behind" when all the crewmembers were being reassigned, it showed them having
memories, they showed Worf and Ezri serveral times, however, they did not show one scene with Jadzia doing
anything, and she was married to Worf, not one scene this REALLY ticks me off...so what gives?????
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 03:09 AM   #2
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Re: Why no Jadzia...

Her leaving the series didn't seem like a very... neat and tidy operation.

It's possible she isn't allowing it, someone said she wanted too much for clips she was in to be aired in the finale etc.

And it's possible she's moved on and keeps Trek stuff to a minimum these days.
Old August 27 2010, 05:07 AM   #3
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Ira Steven Behr said this about Jadiza's absence in What You Leave Behind....

We had planned to see Terry Farrell in the flashbacks but she refused to let us use any of her clips. The way I see it is this: Her manager was informed that we were thinking of using Terry in a scene in the final episode. It would have been three hours of work... maybe four. The price they quoted us was too high for the budget. After all, this was a show where we had to cut out hundreds of thousands of dollars from the orginial draft. Her manager was informed that we weren't going to be able to use Terry. And on top of it, the scene we had been thinking of for her was really not that germane to the plot. I think Terry's feelings were hurt. When it came to the issue of the clips, they again felt that they would prefer that we went a different way without using the character of Jadzia Dax. So we did. I wasn't happy about it. I'm still not happy about it. But it is a reminder that even Star Trek is just a part of the great showbiz sludge.
Also add to that the fact that they had used Terry Farrell's image in a previous episode of Season Seven - Penumbra - when Ezri looks at a picture of Jadzia and Worf. I believe they hadn't secured Farrell's permission to do that and that was why she and her manager asked for such a high amount of money for using her clips in What You Leave Behind.
Old August 27 2010, 05:56 AM   #4
2 of 10
Captain

I was not aware that Trek needed her permission to show what she had already been paid for. I'm sure that she is getting royalities for her pervious work. Could she stop all showing of DS-9 based on the same premis. I have the entire series on DVD, so for me it's not really a big issue I suppose you're right, that showbiz is full of big ego's.

The final ep just did not feel right without even a mention or a quick clip. Terry dissapointed many of her fans by copping an
attitude that they could not have even show her for just a few seconds. However, for me she is still Jadzia Dax.

I did like Ezri also, I think the best ep that Ezri was in was the one where she had to use the worst aspects of Joran in order to catch the killer on the station, in that ep she rocked...
Old August 27 2010, 06:59 AM   #5
MikeS
Fleet Captain

2 of 10 wrote: View Post
I was not aware that Trek needed her permission to show what she had already been paid for.
This sums up my feelings.
Old August 27 2010, 01:07 PM   #6
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
Ira Steven Behr said this about Jadiza's absence in What You Leave Behind....

We had planned to see Terry Farrell in the flashbacks but she refused to let us use any of her clips. The way I see it is this: Her manager was informed that we were thinking of using Terry in a scene in the final episode. It would have been three hours of work... maybe four. The price they quoted us was too high for the budget. After all, this was a show where we had to cut out hundreds of thousands of dollars from the orginial draft. Her manager was informed that we weren't going to be able to use Terry. And on top of it, the scene we had been thinking of for her was really not that germane to the plot. I think Terry's feelings were hurt. When it came to the issue of the clips, they again felt that they would prefer that we went a different way without using the character of Jadzia Dax. So we did. I wasn't happy about it. I'm still not happy about it. But it is a reminder that even Star Trek is just a part of the great showbiz sludge.
Also add to that the fact that they had used Terry Farrell's image in a previous episode of Season Seven - Penumbra - when Ezri looks at a picture of Jadzia and Worf. I believe they hadn't secured Farrell's permission to do that and that was why she and her manager asked for such a high amount of money for using her clips in What You Leave Behind.
Actually, they used Terry's voice without permission and the whole thing went into guild arbitration. As a side effect of that, they couldn't use any of her other material while the dispute was outstanding.

There is probably some truth to what Ira said, too, but he is definitely spinning it to appear that they didn't do anything wrong and Terry was just being a bitch.
Old August 27 2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Off-topic to the millionth degree, but I've been meaning to post this for a while, Robert Maxwell:

Trent Reznor is my favorite musician. Clearly, you must think somewhat highly of him, given you've decked-out your entire 'appearance' in NIN style...
Old August 27 2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Marie1 wrote: View Post
And it's possible she's moved on and keeps Trek stuff to a minimum these days.
I don't think she's trying to completely cut all ties with the franchise. After all, she did that convention in England not too long ago. In the interview clips online from that, she was clearly still enthusiastic talking about her time on DS9. She doesn't do nearly as many conventions as her castmates, though, which makes me a sad panda.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

I just remember being pissed Terry Farrell left, because then we got stuck with Ally McTrill - um, I mean, Ezri Dax - one of the most annoying Trek characters ever, IMHO. "Counselor" Ezri made Deanna Troi look competent!
DS9 Gal AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 12:23 AM   #10
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

I...think ya got the name mixed up. Deanna just gave dull, predictable platitudes. Ezri actually helped people.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 12:29 AM   #11
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

2 of 10 wrote: View Post
I did like Ezri also, I think the best ep that Ezri was in was the one where she had to use the worst aspects of Joran in order to catch the killer on the station, in that ep she rocked...
Yep. It kinda reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. Ezri must widen her gaze....

Her journey took her somewhat further down the rabbit hole than she'd intended--and though she'd dirtied her fluffy white tail...she had emerged...enlightened.

Old August 28 2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Sounds about right. I've never understood all the Ezri hate. I didn't feel that way growing up, at least. But then, I was like eleven when the final season started. I'll comment more at a later date...
Old August 28 2010, 01:10 AM   #13
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

^Yeah.

I'd say Ezri's question bears reviewing:

"Are you angry at me for something that I did...or because I'm not Jadzia?"

Old August 28 2010, 01:42 AM   #14
2 of 10
Captain

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
^Yeah.

I'd say Ezri's question bears reviewing:

"Are you angry at me for something that I did...or because I'm not Jadzia?"
To be fair to Nicole, she was thrown into a situation, when she knew that Jadzia was a much revered Trek Icon. Add that to the fact that she knew that she only had one season to "prove" herself. Over the past couple of weeks I have watched season 7, she had both good and bad, terriable and really good ep's. I think she was in a no-win situation. But look on the positive side, she is a Trekker and since Terrry bailed, she picked up the slack, can anyone think of a better actress to have filled Jadzias shoes
BTW: Does anyone know what Nicole is up to these days...
Old August 28 2010, 02:20 AM   #15
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ You might look into The Dead Zone if you liked Nicole. Good show IMO, though I lost track of it and need to get those DVDs.

Beyond that, dunno.