RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,037
Posts: 5,802,780
Members: 26,062
Currently online: 405
Newest member: The Historian

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Learning Curve
By: Michelle on Jul 31

Star Trek: The Exhibition In Washington State
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

August-September 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Shatner To Pen Book On Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Star Trek Beyond Building Continues
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Trinneer In Western Horror
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2010, 07:45 AM   #1
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
calls for ban of MoH in UK

the Con-Dem Coalition defence secratary Liam Fox is calling for the new Medal of Honour game to be banned after it was reported (in the Daily Fail natch) that multiplayer sees players playing as the Taliban. One map apparently is set in Helmand where most UK troops are based and players are told to 'win at all costs' and 'score points for killing allied troops'.

EA's defence is "Everyone goes through this. When you're seven, someone plays the cops, someone plays the robbers. In MoH, someone has to play as the Taliban."

my defence would be: why was no one moaning when you had to play as the Germans/Japanese/'Axis' in the likes of RTCW, CoD, MoH and so in the WW2 games?

of course, MW2 sidestepped it by calling their Afghan map opposition 'OpFor'...

thoughts?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Cicero
Admiral
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Location: The City of Destiny
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

In Britain, I can understand the government's concerns. Alone among Western nations, the United Kingdom has a serious problem with violent domestic (in fact, native) radicalism that is sympathetic to the Taliban. Given the 7/7 attacks and subsequent attempts, it might be advisable to ban a game there that featured players killing NATO (even British) soldiers.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
my defence would be: why was no one moaning when you had to play as the Germans/Japanese/'Axis' in the likes of RTCW, CoD, MoH and so in the WW2 games?
From my point of view, those wars are long over, while Afghanistan is ongoing. (Playing Modern Warfare was rough for me for this reason; it strongly bothered me to see modern Marines die, even though soldiers died left and right in earlier games.)

I don't want to play as the people who are actively killing and seeking to kill Americans, Britons, Germans, etc. While I think I would feel similarly if I didn't have a family member in the military in Afghanistan right now, I don't know that that's true. I certainly have had difficulty processing the thought that there are suddenly people who want them dead, and are actively trying to kill them.

I think the video game producer in this case (EA) is woefully out of step with sense. Like too many people removed from conflict, they don't seem to comprehend it at all. This is life, not fantasy, not abstraction.
__________________
Ad majorem futuri gloriam.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Mega City 1
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
the Con-Dem Coalition defence secratary Liam Fox is calling for the new Medal of Honour game to be banned after it was reported (in the Daily Fail natch) that multiplayer sees players playing as the Taliban. One map apparently is set in Helmand where most UK troops are based and players are told to 'win at all costs' and 'score points for killing allied troops'.

EA's defence is "Everyone goes through this. When you're seven, someone plays the cops, someone plays the robbers. In MoH, someone has to play as the Taliban."

my defence would be: why was no one moaning when you had to play as the Germans/Japanese/'Axis' in the likes of RTCW, CoD, MoH and so in the WW2 games?
er because none of those games came out during World War 2 whilst German/Japanese/Axis troops were still activily killing British soldiers?

It's poor taste, but it is a standard thing for FPS to do. EA should have given it more thought but its hardly the big be all and end all that its made out to be.
__________________
Werewolves on the moon
Safe House "Bond meets the Haunting!"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 10:10 AM   #4
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

well, maybe they can do a localised version where tehy call them 'the enemy' or 'terrorist forces' or something...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

Cicero wrote: View Post
In Britain, I can understand the government's concerns. Alone among Western nations, the United Kingdom has a serious problem with violent domestic (in fact, native) radicalism that is sympathetic to the Taliban. Given the 7/7 attacks and subsequent attempts, it might be advisable to ban a game there that featured players killing NATO (even British) soldiers.
Or it might be more advisable to release the game and let the wannabe radicals burn off their annoyance that way instead of stewing until they do something daft in real life.

It's August - what we in Britain call the Silly Season, when the news is filled with particularly dumb and irrelevant stories. This'll be forgotten by the time the game comes out.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

So I was born in the Silly Season. That explains a lot, actually.

Anyway, it's just how things work. In a hundred years, simulations regarding 9/11 might be a popular excursion, sick as that sounds to so many now. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the World War I and II veterans seeing all these war games featuring shallow, kill-'em-all takes on those tragedies are either sighing profusely in life or rolling over in their graves in death.
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Rii
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Adelaide
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

I like how it's cool to slaughter some folks but not others. To think that there are those who actually deny that these games are propaganda.

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

QFT, Voltaire; QFT.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral
 
Haggis and tatties's Avatar
 
Location: Glasgow
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

A perfect mix, The daily mail, a politician and a computer game.......I'm sure there is some sort of surreal sitcom in all that.
__________________

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

Rii wrote: View Post
I like how it's cool to slaughter some folks but not others. To think that there are those who actually deny that these games are propaganda.

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

QFT, Voltaire; QFT.
Voltaire. <3
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 11:25 AM   #10
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
So I was born in the Silly Season. That explains a lot, actually.

Anyway, it's just how things work. In a hundred years, simulations regarding 9/11 might be a popular excursion, sick as that sounds to so many now. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the World War I and II veterans seeing all these war games featuring shallow, kill-'em-all takes on those tragedies are either sighing profusely in life or rolling over in their graves in death.
The only example I've seen on that subject was when one of the games TV shows interviewed actor Richard Todd, who had been a para at the battle of Pegasus Bridge on D-Day, and they asked him if he thought there should be games like this (I think it was re: MoH Airborne, or CoD3) and he said absolutely, because it's a great way to make sure the modern generation understood what it was like, and the alternative - forgetting all that stuff - would be far far worse.
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

Well, it's hard to rebuke that, but I have to say, my quite admittedly limited experience with military-oriented gaming hasn't shown me much of anything that properly illustrates the depths of hell those war have created.

There hasn't been a game of that kind that I've seen someone engaged in which has ever really done that justice, and that's what I base my claims on. But if that's all anyone has seen, I guess I'm mistaken.

I'd just as soon think it would be imperative to see documentaries on the matter and look at war games for what they are: shooting games with real-world backdrops.
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Mega City 1
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

To be honest they could ban the games and it wouldn't make much difference. I spent a lot of my childhood running around a field with my friends clutching a stick that was a submachine gun and lobbing invisible hand grenades at those who were play acting Germans
__________________
Werewolves on the moon
Safe House "Bond meets the Haunting!"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 12:16 PM   #13
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

Since no squaddies I know give a flying fuck about this, I don't see why I as a civvy should care.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 12:51 PM   #14
SPCTRE
TBBS Gold Member
 
SPCTRE's Avatar
 
View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
It's August - what we in Britain call the Silly Season, when the news is filled with particularly dumb and irrelevant stories. This'll be forgotten by the time the game comes out.
An apt term, although I like the German Sommerloch better.
__________________
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 12:54 PM   #15
SilentP
Commodore
 
SilentP's Avatar
 
Location: is in a very lonely Corner of the Circle
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP
Re: calls for ban of MoH in UK

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Since no squaddies I know give a flying fuck about this, I don't see why I as a civvy should care.
Cause the moral guardians in the UK haven't had anything to rage about recently?
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.