RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,214
Posts: 5,346,708
Members: 24,607
Currently online: 735
Newest member: lueth2048

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 19 2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: England - "The Home of Football"
Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

Trying to think if this is right section to post it in but since its about when I game, seems right (sorry to mods if am wrong)...

Been having a few issues with my Graphics card recently so I was wondering does anyone know of a program that could help me monitor my temp while I game. Tried google but so far nothing, years ago I used something from Guru 3-D but I can't find that program anymore.

Any help would be great.
__________________
World Cup Thread 2014
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Rii
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Adelaide
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

Run the game in a window and use the standard ATI/Nvidia monitoring tool?

I was having intermittent fan problems with my current card at one point. The system consistently bluescreened at a GPU temp of 131 degrees centigrade.

Oddly enough, a BIOS update seemed to fix it.

As luck would have it, just today I discovered that my 120mm case fan has stopped working too. Gonna have to fix that before summer.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: England - "The Home of Football"
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

I got these static lines that looked like Space Invaders, at first I thought it was a virus but google searches brought me to basically my Ram in my GPU could be dying or over heating causing card to conk out at times leading to blue screen of death (happened a few times this year).

My card is Nvidia 8800 GTX and is several years old (4 I think) so hope old age is not the cause and just overheating issues.
__________________
World Cup Thread 2014
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral
 
Kaijufan's Avatar
 
Location: Amana, Iowa
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

Download GPU-Z. I'm pretty sure you can set it up to record and output your video card's temperatures to a text file. Just start it up before the game and stop it when you finish.
__________________

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: England - "The Home of Football"
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

My GPU died on me earlier today so my PC is out of commision. I guess I will just buy the same card since its cheap and I don't have the money to buy an expensive card. Its an old model but plays alot of games still out today quite well.

oh to top things off my door on my PC Tower dropped off and I don't know how to get it back on which means just having the ability to even press the opn button is not as simple as once was.

I FUCKING HATE MY LIFE
__________________
World Cup Thread 2014
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Rii
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Adelaide
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

Jax wrote: View Post
My GPU died on me earlier today so my PC is out of commision. I guess I will just buy the same card since its cheap and I don't have the money to buy an expensive card. Its an old model but plays alot of games still out today quite well.
Bad luck mate. But are you sure you can get a cheap (i.e. from a perf/$ perspective) 8800GTX? In my experience that's not how formery high-end hardware tends to age. Also the additional strain that a hot card like the GTX places on your PC re: thermal management and power consumption is probably worth a few dollars too. For what it's worth, the 1GB Radeon 5770 for $150 is about where the sweet spot is at atm; might pay to check out some benchmarks and such before being too hasty about picking up another 8800GTX.

For my part I'm still deciding whether to upgrade my video card or HDD (to an SSD) next. It'll be my only upgrade for the year so I have to make it count. In some ways it'd be easier if one of them just exploded and took the choice away from me.

Course, then I wouldn't be able to re-sell the old hardware.
Rii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: England - "The Home of Football"
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

going to stick my old 6600 in my pc so I can at least use it until I buy a new card. I am looking at getting a 9600 or 9800 for around £70ish the cheapest i've seen it so far.
__________________
World Cup Thread 2014
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 01:34 AM   #8
TEH BABA
Commodore
 
TEH BABA's Avatar
 
Location: TEH BABA
Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

I got a gts 250.
__________________
Scientology made of fail and aids.
TEH BABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 04:18 AM   #9
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen
 
CaptainStoner's Avatar
 
Location: Hill dweller
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

Rii wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
My GPU died on me earlier today so my PC is out of commision. I guess I will just buy the same card since its cheap and I don't have the money to buy an expensive card. Its an old model but plays alot of games still out today quite well.
Bad luck mate. But are you sure you can get a cheap (i.e. from a perf/$ perspective) 8800GTX? In my experience that's not how formery high-end hardware tends to age. Also the additional strain that a hot card like the GTX places on your PC re: thermal management and power consumption is probably worth a few dollars too. For what it's worth, the 1GB Radeon 5770 for $150 is about where the sweet spot is at atm; might pay to check out some benchmarks and such before being too hasty about picking up another 8800GTX.

For my part I'm still deciding whether to upgrade my video card or HDD (to an SSD) next. It'll be my only upgrade for the year so I have to make it count. In some ways it'd be easier if one of them just exploded and took the choice away from me.

Course, then I wouldn't be able to re-sell the old hardware.
I've just put in an order for new system parts (939 board is finally blowing some caps) and found this GPU comparison chart very helpful: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,2697-7.html
8800GTX is a strong card without a current tech. equivalent, however later series, particularly on the Radeon side, should run a whole lot cooler.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Deks
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

The 8xxx series cards suffer from the infamous problem of bad soldering which results in a higher chance it might fail.

Either an equivalent model from the Nvidia 9xxx (or later) series or an ATI 5770 CF.
An ATI card would run much cooler and incorporates new technologies.
__________________
We are who we choose to be but also have predefined aspects of our personalities we are born with, and make art that defines us.
Deks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 04:06 PM   #11
TheBrew
Vice Admiral
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Location: Fox Lady
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Rii wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
My GPU died on me earlier today so my PC is out of commision. I guess I will just buy the same card since its cheap and I don't have the money to buy an expensive card. Its an old model but plays alot of games still out today quite well.
Bad luck mate. But are you sure you can get a cheap (i.e. from a perf/$ perspective) 8800GTX? In my experience that's not how formery high-end hardware tends to age. Also the additional strain that a hot card like the GTX places on your PC re: thermal management and power consumption is probably worth a few dollars too. For what it's worth, the 1GB Radeon 5770 for $150 is about where the sweet spot is at atm; might pay to check out some benchmarks and such before being too hasty about picking up another 8800GTX.

For my part I'm still deciding whether to upgrade my video card or HDD (to an SSD) next. It'll be my only upgrade for the year so I have to make it count. In some ways it'd be easier if one of them just exploded and took the choice away from me.

Course, then I wouldn't be able to re-sell the old hardware.
I've just put in an order for new system parts (939 board is finally blowing some caps) and found this GPU comparison chart very helpful: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,2697-7.html
8800GTX is a strong card without a current tech. equivalent, however later series, particularly on the Radeon side, should run a whole lot cooler.
Thanks for that link. I was originally looking to get a GTX 460, but it looks like the GTS 250 is only a tier lower and I can find it for about half the price.
__________________
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 04:46 PM   #12
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen
 
CaptainStoner's Avatar
 
Location: Hill dweller
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

^ Nice. GTS 250 is a monster of a card at its price point, especially with rebates. I nearly got one for my new system, but found an HD 5770 at $135 after rebate that should last me a bit longer.
Hey, may the worst of anyone's troubles today be deciding which eye-candy graphics card to buy.

Anyone want to buy a heavily used Radeon x700?
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 09:32 PM   #13
TEH BABA
Commodore
 
TEH BABA's Avatar
 
Location: TEH BABA
Send a message via AIM to TEH BABA
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

I have a nvidia gts 250. Dont try to sucker me.
__________________
Scientology made of fail and aids.
TEH BABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: England - "The Home of Football"
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

It was a 7600GT I had sitting around not a 6600 so with that in, I am in no rush to get a new card though I think this christmas I will take a punt on either a 9600GT or a ATI equivalent. I don't game loads on the PC so I don't need anything flashy though running STAR WARS MMO smoothly next year would be nice .

My only issue with ATI cards are the whole cataylst driver system never sat well with me and Nvidia just seemed more streamlined for me. I know ATI for alot of pro gamers are good due to tweaks you can make but like I said I hardly game on the PC much these days though I have my eyes on a few games next year.
__________________
World Cup Thread 2014
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 04:14 AM   #15
TheBrew
Vice Admiral
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Location: Fox Lady
Re: Monitor GPU Temp Program During Gaming.

I got my GTS 250 installed. Along with my new PSU, my PC is a medium sized beast. Has been easily handling everything I throw at it, though my most recent game is ST:Online, so I don't have anything really tough to throw at it.
__________________
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.