Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 29 2010, 03:13 AM   #46
scnj
Captain

Re: AMC's 'The Walking Dead' Trailer (Frank Darabont, Gale Anne Hurd)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind a film which starts out with *everyone* a zombie. Absolutely no living humans to be seen. Then some of them start to become un-undead - i.e. become living again. How would the zombies deal with an outbreak of "life"?
Hmm. Daybreakers starts with the majority of the world's population living as vampires. Have you considered that?
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2010, 03:22 AM   #47
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Yep. Seen it, own the Blu-Ray.
Old August 29 2010, 04:24 AM   #48
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind a film which starts out with *everyone* a zombie. Absolutely no living humans to be seen. Then some of them start to become un-undead - i.e. become living again. How would the zombies deal with an outbreak of "life"?
"Finally! Some fresh braaaaains! Subsisting on rat and dog brains just isn't the same!"
Old August 29 2010, 06:51 AM   #49
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

I had 'smart zombies' in a short story currently with a publisher, the idea being that those directly affected by the original curse (the cause in this case) retained most or some of their intellect, degrading as one went down the chain of infection into the mindless hordes the original zombies could command (borrowing a bit from vampire lore). It was set in Roman times, and I call the zombie lords 'plutocrats', because I am not above a cheesy double entendre.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old August 29 2010, 10:00 AM   #50
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Harvey wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
How did they follow it up in Land Of The Dead?
The zombies start to organize, exhibiting collective intelligence. I've only seen it once, but at the time I liked it.
Interesting. I'll have to get around to seeing that soon.

I can't emphasize how bad "Survival of the Dead" is, though. Fans tend to dump on "Diary of the Dead," but its far better than the follow-up.
That's too bad. Did Romero direct both of them? It's kind of funny that after such a long dry spell he's now churning out all these sequels. Maybe he'll get around to making a couple of more Creepshow films-- that's what I'd really like to see.
Old August 29 2010, 03:09 PM   #51
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

Plutocrats?

Aw, man, that hurt my eyes.

OK, but then I laughed.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
FluffyUnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2010, 07:05 PM   #52
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

I can't emphasize how bad "Survival of the Dead" is, though. Fans tend to dump on "Diary of the Dead," but its far better than the follow-up.
The ONLY sensible explanation for "Survival of the Dead" that I can muster is that after so many years of being associated with zombie films, Romero has come to resent it so much that he contrived to make a zombie movie SO bad that NO ONE would ever want to see him make another one. Romero has had some spectacular moments and made a couple really outstanding films. While he's not an overly brilliant film-maker, it's hard to imagine he made a film as bad as "Survival" by accident. He didn't respect his own subject matter in the film and played the zombies pretty much for (VERY lame) laughs. I honestly don't WANT to see another "living dead" film by him. Let someone who respects the concept take over now.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2010, 07:23 PM   #53
Harvey
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
That's too bad. Did Romero direct both of them? It's kind of funny that after such a long dry spell he's now churning out all these sequels. Maybe he'll get around to making a couple of more Creepshow films-- that's what I'd really like to see.
Indeed, he has written and directed every dead film in his canon (Night, Dawn, Day, Land, Diary, and Survival).

Zachary Smith wrote:
The ONLY sensible explanation for "Survival of the Dead" that I can muster is that after so many years of being associated with zombie films, Romero has come to resent it so much that he contrived to make a zombie movie SO bad that NO ONE would ever want to see him make another one. Romero has had some spectacular moments and made a couple really outstanding films. While he's not an overly brilliant film-maker, it's hard to imagine he made a film as bad as "Survival" by accident. He didn't respect his own subject matter in the film and played the zombies pretty much for (VERY lame) laughs. I honestly don't WANT to see another "living dead" film by him. Let someone who respects the concept take over now.
What ruined it for me were not the moments played for laughs, but the moments played straight that still elicited laughter. "I have a twin sister" is the most embarrassing twist I've seen on screen in a long time--the way it is played is straight out of a daytime soap opera (it doesn't help that most of the actors involved are the usual mediocre band of locals that appear in Romero's films).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2010, 08:45 PM   #54
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I am now immensely curious about Survival Of The Dead.
Old August 29 2010, 09:36 PM   #55
Harvey
Admiral

Well...I can't deny that as a midnight movie that may or may not have been under the influence of alcohol, it was certainly fun. It's just hard to hold in the same light as any of Romero's other zombie pictures...even The Crazies, which wasn't any fun, poorly acted, and heavy handed.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote