RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 713
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old September 20 2010, 02:47 PM   #16
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NCC1701 Game - MAJOR UPDATE 1.03 Available now!

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce our third patch for the Star Trek: NCC1701 game demo. This is a major update with many bug fixes and enhancements:

- several bug fixes related to scoring, targets, etc
- additional keyboard / mouse control options ("freelook" mode available)
- improved help screens and "How To Play" info
- Colour 3D renderings of decks on the turbolift maps
- Bigger, better explosions for flying vehicles and weapons
- Klingon Battle Cruisers now fire homing torpedoes (!)
- Updated ship's hull with more windows
- "Female Officer" class added to character selection choices

- Improved AI logic (upgraded to AI Kit v. 1.5)

To get this update, log into our members' area, and go to the Downloads page, where you will see this patch listed at the bottom of the list. It is about a 9 megabyte download.

Also, we are looking for more feedback about your experiences with the game. Does it run well on your machine? Are you able to control the shuttle and your player OK? Are you lost in terms of knowing what to do, or are you getting along OK? Please send feedback to us using the contact forms on our website, or by posting in our thread at TREK BBS (see link on the main FREE PLAYABLE DEMO page).

Many thanks for your interest - we have had over 750 downloads from 51 countries in all, in our first month of release. We are very pleased with the response and look forward to continued development.

Live long and prosper,
Paul Weston
Gambit Realm development team

Last edited by GambitRealm; September 21 2010 at 12:01 AM.
GambitRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 01:55 AM   #17
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: New FREE Star Trek TOS game now available!

I've played it and I think the specs are out of my reach. It doesn't play smoothly on my machine, which is an AMD 3200+ and a Geforce 6800GS. The framerate is very low and practically unplayable. If there's a way to play it with lower settings, I'd love to know. Is there a way to get the framerate to show?
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 02:24 AM   #18
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi there...

Sounds like your video card is not quite up to snuff... I've found the bottom end to be around the geforce 9000 series. It plays on my old 1.7 ghz machine with the 9800.

I suggest the newer nvidia midrange cards. I bought a gt220 i think it was, not too long ago, only about $100 and it made all the difference. The game should scream on your machine if it's 3 ghz or more, you just need to upgrade the video which you should be able to do for less than $100. It will make other games fly too...

Good luck, post back if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Weston
Old September 22 2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I think the controls for the shuttle were pretty bad, especially how it righted itself every time you stop moving. Makes it pretty hard to get from the Klingon shuttle bay to the Enterprise one. Also, I do think that the specs are pretty out there for your average home comp... maybe you could make a low-end version with loading screens between areas?
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2010, 01:27 PM   #20
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello again,

The game should run fine on most computers, it runs on my old 1.7 ghz machine, albeit a bit sluggish, but not bad. The key is the video card - in my old machine I have a GEForce 9800 which I would say is the lowest you can go. In my newer machine I run a one-year-old GT220 which works fine.

Many newer games require a medium to high end video card. There is a lot going on in the engine with dynamic lighting and processing that requires the beefier card. For less than $100 you will be able to play most new games out there with no issues.

As for the controls, we are a bit limited on what we can do because we require both mouse control for clicking on things and also mouse control for movement and flying. That's why you have to hold the right mouse button down while flying forward in order to steer, in order to temporarily disable the cursor movement. Once you get on to it, it actually makes sense and is not difficult to fly.

If you are running the latest 1.03 version, there is a hotkey "V" which will put you into "freelook" mode. When freelook mode is on you do not have to hold the right mouse button down, simply thrust forward with the "W" key and while you are moving you pan the mouse and it will steer you. Using these controls you have complete control and can execute many cool maneuvers, especially in the Klingon fighter which can turn tighter and hover in a vertical position for longer before leveling out. The auto-leveling is there for a reason, without it you quickly get disoriented in space and finding and zeroing in on the flying enemy targets is much harder.

Maybe try the game again if you upgrade your video card in the future. And practice with the "V" key to make flying easier. When in freelook mode after clicking "V", you will have no cursor to click on anything (like the icons at the bottom of the screen) - just right-click the mouse and the cursor will come back again.

Thanks for the feedback,
Paul
Old September 23 2010, 01:06 AM   #21
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I haven't been running the newest version because I only recently got internet at home, downloading it right now as I type. Maybe when you're done with this project you can work on a TNG one?
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Old September 23 2010, 01:06 AM   #22
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I haven't been running the newest version because I only recently got internet at home, downloading it right now as I type. Maybe when you're done with this project you can work on a TNG one?
Old October 4 2010, 12:30 AM   #23
Buck Rogers
Captain

I just downloaded the demo.
When is the whole program available by cd or DVD?

Signed

Buck Rogers
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 03:05 PM   #24
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello all,

We just released an updated version of the demo (version 1.04) that includes many improvements and bug fixes. You start on the bridge, where there are lots of new things to see. Look for various Easter Eggs by clicking on things where your cursor changes to a hand (characters, consoles, etc).

Short list of changes in this release:

BUG FIXES / MAINTENANCE:

- Resolved bug with Options screen not working in versions 1.02 and 1.03
- Fixed more scoring and beam-in bugs in client/server multiplayer code
- Cleaned up mission start/end code so objects appear and disappear more
efficiently when changing flight missions
- Put collision into turbolift walls, so you can't walk through them anymore
- Put collision on top dome of saucer, so you can stand or land on it
- Rotated moon so proper side is facing the player

ENHANCEMENTS:

- All the consoles on the bridge have been replaced with new animated ones
(most are clickable and will bring up the test console window)
- Main view screen updated, it now no longer shows a starfield since the
ship is stationary (it now shows a static image of the Earth and the
Klingon battle cruiser)
- Added many sound effects (shuttlebay doors, enhanced explosions, etc)
- Added foundation of character dialogue system
(click on characters to hear them speak)
- Added hailing sound and messages into chat window when missions are completed
- Improved the chat function, it now auto-focuses on the input window when
you hit the C key so you can start typing right away
(also a communicator sound now plays when you engage the chat)

At this time we do not have a patch complete, so you will need to delete your current install and download the entire new version (115 mb), but it's worth it. A patch that will take a current 1.03 installation and bring it up to 1.04 is forthcoming in the next few days for those who do not wish to do the entire download again.

Please spread the word and leave us feedback on what you like, what works and what doesn't for you, performance issues, questions, etc. We like to hear what people have to say.

More updates are coming - next version may include a few more decks to explore, stay tuned!

Cheers,

Paul Weston
Old December 27 2010, 04:33 AM   #25
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Greetings Earthlings!

We are pleased to announce a major new release of our NCC1701 game... The base download now includes 2 additional decks below the main shuttlebay, and you can now move shuttles up and down the main elevator to and from the garage and maintenance areas.

New consoles are available on-board, with many new buttons to push. We also have a bunch of destroyable objects for you to blow up, and more areas of the ship to explore.

For our registered users, we have provided a small downloadable file that will actually unlock the entire lower hull - decks 15 through 24, as a separate mission. So you can finally fully explore this part of the ship, where there is much to see and do.

Visit http://gambitrealm.com to download the latest 2.0 base game version (250 MB download - and requires that you delete your existing installation first), and then visit our members' area - Downloads section - to obtain your patch that will unlock the entire lower hull (a tiny 400 KB download).

We are happy to get this out just in time for the new year, and hope you all enjoy it. A lot of hard work goes into this project, but your support and feedback keeps us going. In the new year, work continues - having now almost completely furnished the lower hull, we move on to the neck and saucer sections. Stay tuned, and visit our website frequently to keep abreast of our progress.

Live long and prosper!

Christmas 2010
Old January 1 2011, 12:20 AM   #26
cloneof
Ensign

From what I can see from the screenshots, I hope that this project get's into completion.

I would most certainly want to purchase a game of this much Trekkiness.
cloneof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 05:38 AM   #27
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

I wish that i had a better computer so that I could play this.
Old March 31 2011, 02:56 PM   #28
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello everyone,

We have just released our latest version of the NCC1701 Game Demo, download it at http://gambitrealm.com.

This version includes numerous changes, including:

BUG FIXES / MAINTENANCE:
- Fixed Master Server issue to re-enable Internet play
- Various multiplayer spawning bugs resolved
- Klingon fighter (KuRist) can now be properly docked in the Enterprise
- Homing torpedoes now faster and much more accurate
- Klingon Battle Cruisers not quite as impossible to destroy now
- Replaced "Torque 3D" splash logo with "Garage Games" logo
- Small fixes to PREPARE MISSION, JOIN SERVER, and OPTIONS screens

ENHANCEMENTS:
In-game web content! Find the giant floating web page on the inside of the space dock, and view web content and flash videos...

Deck 20
- Added some fan artwork and a grand piano to the lounge area near the pool
- Added emergency battery backup rooms, port and starboard

Deck 21
- Added machinery to food preparation area

Also, since we are now including the Lower Hull mission with the base download, we have changed the add-on patch available to members to be a new Klingon Hunt mission - where you have to eliminate a boarding party that has spread out across the lower decks of the Enterprise.

And please check the NEWS section of the site for some important info regarding future development of this project.

Hope you are all enjoying the game, and we look forward to getting the full ship completed and out to the masses sometime this year.

Thank you all for your interest, live long and prosper!

Old March 31 2011, 06:13 PM   #29
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Hey GambitRealm, I hate to be the first bug question/technical issue guy, but I can't get the game to start. I got this error message:

And so went to compatibility mode and set it for XP SP2 and Run as Admin but then got the first message and this additional error message:

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 06:19 PM   #30
GambitRealm
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi there,

Most likely all you require is the latest DirectX from Microsoft - go to their website, and run their web installer to make sure you are up to date. You may think your system is current, but in my experience going to the MS site and doing the web install for the latest DirectX will fix most issues even when one believes they already have the latest software. The X_Audio errors you are getting indicate missing DirectX files, meaning you probably have a slightly different version of DirectX than what was used to build the game EXE.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers,

Paul Weston