Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 22 2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Garak007
Lieutenant

That Vulcan in Engineering?

He has been in a few episodes working along side with B'Elanna Torres in engineering. I can't remember what happened to him or did he just disappeared?
Garak007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: That Vulcan in Engineering?

Vorik is in many VOY episodes, played by Jeri Taylor's son, Alexander Enberg. He was also Taurik in "The Lower Decks" episode of TNG and Jeri Taylor often suggested they were twin brothers.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Vorik

Vorik is featured in the post-series "Voyager" novels and earned himself a promotion.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Vorik
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Garak007
Lieutenant

Ah thanks I could not remember his name:

That's cool that they continued his arc through the books where he became chief engineer on Voyager and then Hawking.

It was kind of strange having a character to appear more regularly on a series and all of a sudden you don't see them again.
Garak007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2010, 02:09 AM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He was in the last few episodes too. So Vorrik only vanished mostly for a long a while and not completely.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

So any reason why they changed his character's name? I understand the Paris/Locarno thing because they were different enough (sort of) but Vorik was a very secondary character, I don't see any reason to change him.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 05:07 PM   #6
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Kirby wrote: View Post
So any reason why they changed his character's name? I understand the Paris/Locarno thing because they were different enough (sort of) but Vorik was a very secondary character, I don't see any reason to change him.
I don't think they were supposed to be the same character. Plus, that would be some hell of a harsh demotion to go from the Enterprise to Voyager.
Old August 26 2010, 05:55 PM   #7
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
I don't think they were supposed to be the same character. Plus, that would be some hell of a harsh demotion to go from the Enterprise to Voyager.
Why? Wouldn't it be a promotion to go from an entry-level fix-it on the Enterprise to second in charge of the engineering section of a smaller ship, for example? And it's not like Voyager was a garbage scow, at the time it was among the fastest and most advanced ships in Starfleet.
Old August 26 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
exodus
Fleet Admiral

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Why? Wouldn't it be a promotion to go from an entry-level fix-it on the Enterprise to second in charge of the engineering section of a smaller ship, for example? And it's not like Voyager was a garbage scow, at the time it was among the fastest and most advanced ships in Starfleet.
But the Enterprise is the flagship and only the top graduates get to serve on it. Any other ship would be a step down regardless of rank.
Old August 26 2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Maybe he tried to make love with Troi the same way as he did with B'Elanna and Riker got him shoved out the back door from the Enterprise and then he ended up on Voyager.

As for his career on Voyager, he did end up being a dignified and skilled member of the Shuttle and Torpedo Building Team.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 02:37 AM   #10
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

It's all because of royalties. The character of Tom Paris exists because if they had used Locarno, the writer of "The First Duty" would be entitled to get paid every time the character was mentioned.

So it is with Vorik. That character only exists because otherwise whoever wrote the first TNG episode with Taurik would need to get paid.
Old August 27 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

But the Enterprise is the flagship and only the top graduates get to serve on it. Any other ship would be a step down regardless of rank.
That's just stupid. People get transferred in Starfleet all the time. Do you think that everyone who gets on the Enterprise stays there until they retire? Of course only the best graduates get on the flagship, but that's just because every ship needs low ranking members in order to have a functioning chain of command.

Again, to use a hypothetical, why would it be a demotion to go from being a Lt. in charge of transporters on the Enterprise to a Lt. Commander in charge of the engine room on an Akira class ship?
Old August 27 2010, 11:35 PM   #12
exodus
Fleet Admiral

That's just stupid. People get transferred in Starfleet all the time. Do you think that everyone who gets on the Enterprise stays there until they retire? Of course only the best graduates get on the flagship, but that's just because every ship needs low ranking members in order to have a functioning chain of command.

Again, to use a hypothetical, why would it be a demotion to go from being a Lt. in charge of transporters on the Enterprise to a Lt. Commander in charge of the engine room on an Akira class ship?
Again, I'm going to give you the same answer.
A Lt. Commander on a Akira class IMO just makes you the same as every other LT. Commander on every other ship or post.
I don't find it impressive as someone serving on the flagship.
I would think on a service record, that would stand out.
If you find it stupid, then so be it.

Last edited by exodus; August 27 2010 at 11:54 PM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 12:23 AM   #13
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Isn't it hilarious that it is Ron Moore who wrote the First Duty and it is Ron Moore they played the shell game with for seven years thieving food out of his children's faces and clothes off his wifes back?

Out of the Gate Voyager fucked Ronald D. Moore, and not gently.

Rene contributed to Lower Decks.

It's like there was some sort of cold war raging between the DS9 and Voyager production staffs which we barely saw the tip of.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 02:11 AM   #14
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I wonder whose idea it was to bring Vorik and Carey back for the last few episodes. They could have been useful for uh... a bunch of other episodes.
Old August 28 2010, 06:38 PM   #15
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I wonder whose idea it was to bring Vorik and Carey back for the last few episodes. They could have been useful for uh... a bunch of other episodes.
I know I've seen the actor that plays Carey in several other show & films, so he might not have been available to be continiously reaccuring. I do the actress that plays Sam Wildmen also writes & produces. I believe TBS' "My Boys" is her production.