Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 26 2010, 02:09 AM   #31
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: Dwight Schultz On Conservative Talk

Just a little nudge to remind everything to keep the thread at least vaguely centered on Dwight Schultz's beliefs, TNG and politics, etc, etc, etc. Basically: politics with an overt frame of reference incorporating TNG or its actors.

Political threads have a natural tendency to degenerate quickly; it'd be cool if this one doesn't, and I think keeping it on topic will help prevent that.

If the post isn't really about TNG, its actors, production, context, etc, etc, etc, then it's a more wide-ranging political discussion is probably best suited to a non-Trek part of the board. Thanks.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 02:25 AM   #32
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

As if I needed another reason to like Dwight Shultz!

BTW...I'm not sure he actually claims to be the only Right-winger in Hollywood. Still, considering...everything...I'd imagine it's not suprising he'd feel a bit lonely.

But, yeah. There's John Voight, Gary Sinease, Kelsey Grammer, Steve Baldwin...even Angelina Jolie has noted she's a big fan of Ayn Rand's works!

(She even was going to play the lead in a movie version of Atlas Shrugged. Personally, I'd say Nicole de Boer better looks the part, if you read the book's description of Dagny...but that's just me.)

And there's Chuck Norris and (AFAIK) Sylvester Stallone and Bruce Willis, of course.

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
It's weird how right wingers are always treated like a bunch of intolerant, evil nazis but the only ones showing intolerance in this threat are folks on the left. I'm glad I'm firmly in the middle so I can enjoy all the rank hypocrisy.
Suprised?

Now...I recall Dwight once hosted Laura Ingrahm's show.

I gotta tell ya...I like Laura. I do not like Savage. He goes out of his way to be a bit of a jerk--towards other Conservative hosts, even!

That being said...it's still nice that Dwight's getting around.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 04:31 AM   #33
Red Ranger
Admiral

You know, I tend to ignore most actors' politics, except I must say I find Jon Voight's fulminating embarrasing and offensive. However, I enjoy the work of Kelsey Grammar and Clint Eastwood so much I don't even think of their politics.

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 11:14 AM   #34
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

We all forgot Fred Thompson. I have to say, it was a little surreal watching his campaign. It was so much like watching my grandpa run for president. He even had the same hearing problems. At one campaign appearance, someone in the crowd asked about "civil unions," and he started talking about the "Soviet Union."
Old August 26 2010, 11:38 AM   #35
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Just a note to those who think that conservative and liberal must be diametrically opposed mutually exclusive positions, the UK is currently governed by a Conservative-Liberal coalition...

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 03:27 PM   #36
Cepstrum
Commander

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Just a little nudge to remind everything to keep the thread at least vaguely centered on Dwight Schultz's beliefs, TNG and politics, etc, etc, etc. Basically: politics with an overt frame of reference incorporating TNG or its actors.

Political threads have a natural tendency to degenerate quickly; it'd be cool if this one doesn't, and I think keeping it on topic will help prevent that.

If the post isn't really about TNG, its actors, production, context, etc, etc, etc, then it's a more wide-ranging political discussion is probably best suited to a non-Trek part of the board. Thanks.
Thanks. I, too, dislike discussing politics on a Trek forum, unless, I suppose, it's to point out a particular actor's POV.

I'd think it be much more interesting — and more telling — if we're talking about the political beliefs of Trek figures, that revealing the ideology of the writers, producers, and directors than the actors. They haven't as much freedom to express their values in Trek as the behind-the-scenes folk have.
Cepstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 05:02 PM   #37
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
We all forgot Fred Thompson. I have to say, it was a little surreal watching his campaign. It was so much like watching my grandpa run for president. He even had the same hearing problems. At one campaign appearance, someone in the crowd asked about "civil unions," and he started talking about the "Soviet Union."
I loved him when he was last on the Daily Show:

"I had an insurmountable object to overcome in that presidential bid... and that was the wisdom and inherent good judgement of the American people."

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th.../fred-thompson

The guy's funny, I'll give him that
Old August 26 2010, 08:57 PM   #38
Red Ranger
Admiral

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
Just a note to those who think that conservative and liberal must be diametrically opposed mutually exclusive positions, the UK is currently governed by a Conservative-Liberal coalition...
And how's that working out for you all?

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 03:37 AM   #39
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
And how's that working out for you all?
Hey, don't knock 'em. One of them became captain of the Enterprise!

(his French character fled the Stargazer, though. Ba-dam bam TSS)
Old August 29 2010, 01:53 PM   #40
Dale
Vice Admiral

Victoria Jackson is the best Hollywood-based representation of modern conservatism I've ever seen. A right wing everywoman... someone to whom Republicans can easily relate.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2010, 03:24 PM   #41
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I think I'm seeing a pattern here....McCoy was a bit conservative and religous, and he too had transporter phobia....

seriously though I have no problem with a conservative Trek actor. I think most Trek fans have a pretty good bullshit meter towards ideology of any kind, even if it was coming from Rodenberry himself. It's in the spirit of Trek to shake up hard ideologies because they all tend to lead to destruction and supression of the human will.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2010, 03:31 PM   #42
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Dale wrote: View Post
Victoria Jackson is the best Hollywood-based representation of modern conservatism I've ever seen. A right wing everywoman... someone to whom Republicans can easily relate.
I'd still place Fred Thompsen much, much higher than Victoria Jackson, and the guy ran for president. He'll be returning to film and TV soon.

Speaking of Hollywood, I always thought it was ludicrous in 2008 for the GOP to try and paint Obama as an ironic "superstar," when McCain had been on far more shows than Obama ever did at that point. He was one of Jon Stewart's most common guests, he had been on SNL a few times (even before Palin ever made any sort of national news), and he did the occasional cameo on a few shows, and many argued that his connection to the media (very much like Mike Huckabee) helped re-elevate his status so that he could run again.
Old August 30 2010, 08:17 AM   #43
Dale
Vice Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Dale wrote: View Post
I'd still place Fred Thompsen much, much higher than Victoria Jackson, and the guy ran for president. He'll be returning to film and TV soon.

Speaking of Hollywood, I always thought it was ludicrous in 2008 for the GOP to try and paint Obama as an ironic "superstar," when McCain had been on far more shows than Obama ever did at that point. He was one of Jon Stewart's most common guests, he had been on SNL a few times (even before Palin ever made any sort of national news), and he did the occasional cameo on a few shows, and many argued that his connection to the media (very much like Mike Huckabee) helped re-elevate his status so that he could run again.
This is easier in TNZ.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2010, 11:36 PM   #44
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
I think I'm seeing a pattern here....McCoy was a bit conservative and religous, and he too had transporter phobia....
And Ezri's spacesick. And she's certainly a right-winger.

Hey...you didn't all think I loved 'er so much just because she's the cutest thing in the universe, now did you?

This exchange between her and her mother sounds like an inidctment of the Welfare State--I swear:

Yanas: I'm just trying to encourage him.

Ezri: But what you've done is mad him feel trapped and helpless.

Yanas: ...He's a fragile young man who needs to be cared for.

Ezri: He is a GROWN man who needs his FREEDOM! You're smothering him!
She. Is. AWESOME!
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2010, 12:02 AM   #45
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

^ Riiiight. Those situations are soooo similar.

Because people feel so trapped and helpless when they know they won't starve and won't have to be homeless even though they can't find a job, and that they would be able to get medical help if they get seriously ill even if they don't have ridiculous amounts of money to pay. It's like having a domineering mother! Horrible, I say! What they really need is a state that will act like a nice mom who chucks them out in the street and tells them "if you have no money, you can die for all we care". So that then they have the freedom to do that exactly. (Sure, they won't have a freedom to do much else, but who cares.)

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote