CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 23 2010, 09:32 AM   #16
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Dwight Schultz On Conservative Talk

Well, I went out of my way to make sure it was known that I respect the IDIC sort of mentality and that I'll do my best to get over personal bias...
Old August 24 2010, 02:31 AM   #17
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I'd imagine it must be rather hard for conservatives to deal with all these 'crazy liberal actors' so I should say I have it easy. But still.
Well, I'm conservative, I'm just a sane conservative. Unfortunately, I seem to be part of an endangered species.

Oh, speaking of nutty conservative, how could I have forgotten Victory Jackson, the kookiest of the right-wing Hollywood bunch?
Old August 24 2010, 02:41 AM   #18
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I believe the right also has Mel Gibson...
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 02:41 AM   #19
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'd imagine it must be rather hard for conservatives to deal with all these 'crazy liberal actors' so I should say I have it easy. But still.
Well, I'm conservative, I'm just a sane conservative. Unfortunately, I seem to be part of an endangered species.
Not as endangered as you think.

Me, I don't particularly care about actors' politics. In any case, I tend to assume they're all liberal; thus, in cases like this when I find a conservative one, I can never be anything but pleasantly surprised.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 05:06 AM   #20
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

I have no problem with conservatives...

***holes on the other hand...

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 06:06 AM   #21
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
To be fair, the insane conservatives are also small. They just tend to rule the airwaves and drown out the sane conservatives, or go for the lowest common denominator that it riles up a large population for the wrong causes. THAT kills me. Any balance we can get in political discourse is severely thrown off by any number of extremists (on both sides. I'm looking at you, Olbermann!)

In terms of celebrities, I suppose John Schneider, Rob Lowe, and Bruce Willis always struck me as reasonable conservatives. But then they get offset by Jon Voight.

Oh, speaking of nutty conservative, how could I have forgotten Victory Jackson, the kookiest of the right-wing Hollywood bunch?
Indeed. I can see where Dennis Miller comes from even if I don't agree with him, and I always liked seeing Miller and Bill Maher together (they're still friends, even if on opposite sides), but when did Jackson get so bonkers?

Speaking of extremes and Maher, I recall way back when, when Maher's original Politically Incorrect was cancelled. Ann Coulter was just as inane back then as she is now, but she was also one of Maher's most reliable guests, occasionally flirting as well (you might need to scrub your brain). On one of his final episodes, Coulter and Arianna Huffington joined together, perhaps for the only time in history, to say goodbye and wish him well.

Last edited by Cyke101; August 24 2010 at 06:20 AM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 08:52 PM   #22
Cepstrum
Commander

I'm not about to reveal my politics here (though I have them, I *don't* like discussing them except for with one or two close family members: I've always preferred to let others not know my beliefs so we can work together without such divisions.)

But I have to say this: for those on the Left who will now be disillusioned with Dwight, I find that curious: on Trek at least, he portrays a bumbling, socially inept misfit with mental health problems. Why would *he* being on the Right bother those on the Left? It's not like he's the brave hero! If anything, I'd think that would make people laugh even more. ??
Cepstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 01:36 AM   #23
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Cepstrum wrote: View Post
I'm not about to reveal my politics here (though I have them, I *don't* like discussing them except for with one or two close family members: I've always preferred to let others not know my beliefs so we can work together without such divisions.)

But I have to say this: for those on the Left who will now be disillusioned with Dwight, I find that curious: on Trek at least, he portrays a bumbling, socially inept misfit with mental health problems. Why would *he* being on the Right bother those on the Left? It's not like he's the brave hero! If anything, I'd think that would make people laugh even more. ??
I think part of it is the perception of the character and how it compares to what he's said on air. I haven't heard Dwight's radio programs, but if it's anything like Limbaugh or Beck, then it's going to run very contradictory to the bumbling, socially inept, insecure but kind-hearted Barclay.

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Rulius wrote: View Post
Do we realllly want to start talking politics outside TNZ?
I'm pretty sure Trek has the liberal equivalent of Schultz. It might be possible to balance it (if we reroute imdb reference files and cross-reference that data through memory-alpha documents and wikipedia pages, we should be able to filter the criteria needed to find a suitable candidate).
I don't mean to quote myself but I just realized that Trek already has an equivalent, or near it: James Cromwell. He willingly gets himself arrested for causes he advocates, but he tends to be a good deal louder and a touch more hyperbolic than your typical leftist Hollywood actor.
Old August 25 2010, 02:22 AM   #24
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I don't know Dwight Schultz; I only know Reg. And he's still the same guy he always was...
Old August 25 2010, 06:38 PM   #25
Cepstrum
Commander

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Cepstrum wrote: View Post

I think part of it is the perception of the character and how it compares to what he's said on air. I haven't heard Dwight's radio programs, but if it's anything like Limbaugh or Beck, then it's going to run very contradictory to the bumbling, socially inept, insecure but kind-hearted Barclay.
Thanks for explaining, Cyke101. I'd forgotten that for all of Reg's faults, he *was* a very nice guy. I'd want him on my engineering staff (ie, if he could keep his mental health issues in check!)

And I agree with Jeri: I haven't heard Dwight, don't *want* to hear him, and prefer to let him and all actors be Trek characters, not political spokespeople. I have no idea why I should take Dwight Schultz's opinions more seriously than the average person. He's just an actor, AFAIK. Did he even go to college? (not that a college-education makes one smart or qualified; it's just a start if you know otherwise nothing about someone.)
Cepstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 08:40 PM   #26
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Probably the biggest problem with American politics at this time is that extremists on all sides have been using words to mean entirely different things from what they really mean, and doing it for so long that people are forgetting what the words really mean.

Oh, and by the way, "conservative" and "liberal," as David Gerrold once pointed out, are adjectives, not nouns. And since what they mean, what they really mean, is relative to a particular time and place, neither do they define any meaningful political axis.

Savage, Limbaugh, Beck, Palin, Rove, and their ilk are NOT conservative. They are reactionary, or in some cases, even counter-revolutionary. Ralph Nader, Michael Moore, and their ilk are not liberal; they are leftist, or in some cases, revolutionary.

"Liberal" and "Conservative" are not extreme positions; they are moderate ones, and they are far from mutually exclusive: for a person to be truly centrist, that person must be both conservative and liberal.

The word "conservative" comes from the same root as "conservation" (the act of saving and protecting things like resources and museum specimens), "conservatory" (a place where either botanical or musical heritage is protected and propagated), and "conservator," one who protects a less-than-entirely-competent person from his or her own bad judgment. To have conservative taste is to be cautious about following every new trend. To be conservative with estimates, or with engineering, is to err on the side of caution, and to provide generous safety factors. To be politically, socially, or economically conservative is to be cautious about untested ideas.

Liberal comes from the same root as "Liberty" (freedom), "Libertarian" (advocating freedom), "Liberation" (the act of granting freedom), and "libertine" (one who has more freedom than he or she can use constructively, and who would probably benefit from having a conservator). To do something liberally is to do it freely. The Liberal Arts are those disciplines, i.e., the Humanities, as well as non-professional-level courses in the social and political sciences, the natural sciences, and the arts, that make a person fit to be a member of a free society. To be politically, socially, or economically liberal is to be open-minded about new ideas, particularly when they show indications that they might improve people's lives.

To be politically, socially, or economically reactionary is to seek to reverse reforms that have already been proven generally beneficial, while to be politically, socially, or economically leftist is to seek a headlong rush into new ideas with no regard for who might be harmed.

Actually, Dwight Schultz's politics kind of fit in rather well with Barclay's timorous personality.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 09:29 PM   #27
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I actually don't understand why this board is so left wing overall.
I'm generally conservative. After all, the government that rules least rules best. I don't think the gov't should be taking care of people from cradle to grave without anything to reign it in. I don't think "more government" and "more government programs' solve anything, and they tend to add more bureaucracy, thereby becoming inefficient. Freedom is using the free market system.
Old August 25 2010, 11:55 PM   #28
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

I'm a big lefty, and I've known for a while that Dwight Schultz has conservative leanings. I've never thought much about it, though. I find him very entertaining as an actor, and that's all the only thing he owes me, or any of us. If I only limited myself to watching actors I agree with politically, I'd just being cutting myself off from a lot of entertainment.
Old August 26 2010, 12:11 AM   #29
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I actually don't understand why this board is so left wing overall.
From whose point of view? I'm told that in most of the rest of the world, the people and ideas we see as far-left are seen as being somewhere between center-left and center-right.
I'm generally conservative. After all, the government that rules least rules best.
Perhaps you should tell that to the people on the Far Right who want to keep tabs on what people read, and to put ideology before science, and to over-regulate what consenting adults do together.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 01:57 AM   #30
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

oh i agree with you there. those things are wrong.
That's why I hate categories. I was just stating how I feel.