Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Does Superman Need A Make-Over?
No. The Traditional Look Is Fine. 33 75.00%
Yes...Like Superman Returns. 7 15.91%
Yes...Like Superman X. 1 2.27%
Yes...Like Clark's Outfit Smallville S9. 0 0%
Yes...Something Totally Different Though. 4 9.09%
Meh...Whatever. 4 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18 2010, 02:00 PM   #16
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

I think out of the pictures posted the traditional look is the best anyway. I don't think any change would actually improve it, it would just be change for the sake of change.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 02:06 PM   #17
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

No I don't think he needs one.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 04:06 PM   #18
jadcox@mindspring.com
Commodore

View jadcox@mindspring.com's Twitter Profile

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I've always been a traditionalist when it comes to Superman ... I didn't even like the slight variations for Superman Returns. I have to say, though, that I adore this one.
jadcox@mindspring.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 05:38 PM   #19
Kirkman1987
Commodore

The costume must remain.

As much as I love Reeve, I think the theatrical shorts of the 1940's represent the best screen version. I would love to see the tougher clark and fast paced action scenes of the shorts in the new film.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 06:03 PM   #20
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post

And really, any REAL updating of the Superman mythos must dump the Daily Planet anyway. Newspapers were information hubs in those days, with access to information at a faster rate than the average joe. Thus when a crisis, crime or disaster broke out, he could quickly find out and respond. That was the ENTIRE reason for becoming a newspaper man.
I'm not sure the Daily Planet has to be ditched, so much as updated. Professional journalists still have some meaning - and there's a lot of story to be had in the idea of the Fourth Estate. Part of the purpose of being a journalist was Clark as a part of the civilian world, that is part of the civic world. Reworking the Daily Planet as a web-based news organization standing as a bastion of journalistic integrity against the FOXNews/ CNN partisan opinion-mongers, harnassing the power of the man on the street reporter that the web has made possible - that's got a lot of appeal. Part of what makes superheroes work is they present a fantasy world where incorruptible people stand up for the regular person in a way that would never happen in the real world. It'd be nice to imagine a media worthy of respect - expecially in this world.

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
The costume must remain.

As much as I love Reeve, I think the theatrical shorts of the 1940's represent the best screen version. I would love to see the tougher clark and fast paced action scenes of the shorts in the new film.
Amen! Superman has never been better than the Fleischer cartoons. That should be a starting point for any new project.
Old August 18 2010, 06:44 PM   #21
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

As long as he doesn't look like the Michelin Man on steroids, I don't really care what his costume looks like. He's super-strong because he's an alien, not because he has Hulk syndrome. Actually, as long as he doesn't look like the Michelin Man or The Blur, I'm fine with it.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 06:53 PM   #22
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Supes doesn't need a makeover. He needs a filmmaker who is willing to make a movie about who he is: a naive and sincere alien immigrant who fights for Truth, Justice and the American Way.

Filmmakers, if this scares you, stay away. No one wants to see a movie about Genericman.
Hell yeah!

Maybe they should just wait to see how Marvel handles Captain America and just copy that. My hunch is that Marvel knows how to stay true to a superhero characters' core.
I have serious misgivings.

http://www.examiner.com/science-fict...-american-icon
Old August 18 2010, 07:23 PM   #23
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I'm not sure the Daily Planet has to be ditched, so much as updated....
Yet again a reason to bring back the Earth 1 Superman. He was a tv reporter/anchorman.

The costume must remain.

Amen! Superman has never been better than the Fleischer cartoons. That should be a starting point for any new project.
I thought he meant the Kirk Alyn version.
Me, I love the G. Reeves version.
Old August 18 2010, 08:19 PM   #24
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Yet again a reason to bring back the Earth 1 Superman. He was a tv reporter/anchorman.
Ick. The only thing TV "reporters" report these days is their own ill-informed opinons.

Unless they're Jim Lehrer. You want to put Supes on PBS - I have no problem with that.

The costume must remain.

Which was heavily based on the Fleischer cartoons...
Old August 18 2010, 09:44 PM   #25
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Maybe they should just wait to see how Marvel handles Captain America and just copy that. My hunch is that Marvel knows how to stay true to a superhero characters' core.

Yeah, truly an enlightening article. The author is a buffoon. "Why do liberals hate America?" Really?
Old August 18 2010, 11:13 PM   #26
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Ick. The only thing TV "reporters" report these days is their own ill-informed opinons.

Unless they're Jim Lehrer. You want to put Supes on PBS - I have no problem with that.

Which was heavily based on the Fleischer cartoons...
I was indeed refering to the Fleischer cartoons, some of the most expensive and sophisicated animation of it's day. I agree they would make a good starting point for those making the new film.

Primarily, the Fleischer cartoons show a fast paced style of action we have yet to see in a live action Superman film, that would be very exciting. Donner's Superman is a slower more mythical figure than the Superman in the shorts, and the tech of the time likely wouldn't have allowed the Fleischer style to translate anyway. (who could do anything through high budget animation). With today's tech, it could be done. The Fleisher action setpieces are fantastic, almost Indiana Jones meets Superman.

Secondly, I would like a return to the golden age clark seen in the shorts. Clark is slightly bumbling, but he is shown to be a adventurer and a crusader for Justice. He is the equal of Lois Lane, and thier intelligent banter and competition would be a welcome change of pace from clumsy Clark's antics.
Old August 18 2010, 11:19 PM   #27
Kirkman1987
Commodore

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post

Yeah, truly an enlightening article. The author is a buffoon. "Why do liberals hate America?" Really?
Agreed. Calling Joe Johnston Un-American is silly. He made The Rocketeer for heaven's sake, one of the most gee whiz pro-US comic book films ever.
Old August 19 2010, 01:55 AM   #28
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^That's true. But some of his statements (in the original article) are troubling.
Old August 19 2010, 02:02 AM   #29
arch101
Fleet Captain

Nah. Superman Returns showed that the Richard Donner universe still holds up well with only minor updating. I DO think that making the costume resemble the 40s cartoon version was a brilliant idea. Get Mr. Routh back and let's get this show moving!
Old August 19 2010, 02:18 AM   #30
Jetfire

HERE you can go through a complete comparison of the costume.

My only real complaint with the Superman Returns costume was no \S/ on the cape. I do understand the technical reason why it wasn't included though.

Chris Reeve's cape.