RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 503
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 24 2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Funniest Star Trek Line Reading

I don't usually make impulsive threads like this, but I couldn't resist...I just had to share the joy of a Star Trek-related experience right after having it. I just laughed the hardest I ever have at a "Star Trek" episode, and I was surprised at when and why! I've seen this episode and moment in the past (two or three times, in fact), but it has never affected me like this before.

In "Tomorrow is Yesterday", Kirk is talking to the computer and it calls him "dear". Shatner, completely straight-faced and deadpan replies, "Computer, you are not to address me in that manner" and OH MAN, I laughed so hard I embarrassed myself (the person watching TV downstairs thought I sounded like a lunatic). Sometimes the funniest moments aren't even the most overtly comedic ones...just the instances of someone playing the straight man against something ridiculous.

The Mudd episodes and "The Trouble with Tribbles" are often listed as the best comedic episodes, but this one should be right up there with them. The facial expressions of the security guard beamed into the transporter room (especially when McCoy slowly disarms him) were a hoot too. Shatner's delayed line readings have been the focus of much mockery over the years, but at this moment I have nothing but affection for them. They made this line (as well as his "Please...not again" in response to Riley's agonizing singing in "The Naked Time") uniquely hilarious in a way that no one else's line readings could have been. I invite others to share favourite funny Star Trek line readings here.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Funniest Star Trek Line Reading

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
In "Tomorrow is Yesterday", Kirk is talking to the computer and it calls him "dear". Shatner, completely straight-faced and deadpan replies, "Computer, you are not to address me in that manner" and OH MAN, I laughed so hard I embarrassed myself
Only wish we could have seen Majel's facial expression when she was recording those lines. She was probably having a total blast.

"Computed..."
Old August 24 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

That ep was so chock filled with goofy 60s fun! Thanks for reminding me of that one. It's been a while since i watched it.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2010, 07:16 AM   #4
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

I'd love to have been around for that pitch meeting!

"And here, we'll have the computer flirt with Kirk!"

"Are you stoned?"

"Duh."

"...moving on then."

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Baldus885
Captain

"Take Dartagnien here to sickbay!" from The Naked Time. It's totally out of character for Spock, and yet Nimoy plays it perfectly straight. I crack up every time I see it.
Baldus885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

^^^One of my favorites, too.

I also like Spock at the end of Friday's Child, words to the effect of, "I think you two will be inordinately pleased with yourselves." Something about the way he says it just makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Uhura's "Sorry, neither" in The Squire of Gothos always cracks me up.
Old August 31 2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

"THE WOMEN!!"
Old September 1 2010, 03:18 PM   #9
THX1138
Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Kirk, I'm gonna lock you up for 200 years!"

"That oughta be... just about right."
THX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2010, 02:25 AM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Pretty much anything Jadzia says when she's on the NCC-1701 in "Trials and Tribble-ations." When she's wondering how great it would be to meet Koloth, Kirk, etc. and Sisko stops her, then she just starts pouting and says "It would have been fun..."
Old September 2 2010, 03:25 AM   #11
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

THX1138 wrote: View Post

I love the look on Shatner's face as he says that... amused, then kind of weary.

Old September 2 2010, 03:33 AM   #12
MANT!
Rear Admiral

THX1138 wrote: View Post

One of my favorites (as a USAF veteran it always strikes me.) But I've always had my own caption

"Ok Kirk..what's this 'Technical Manual' and who's this Commie named Franz Joseph?"
Old September 2 2010, 04:14 AM   #13
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

YES, THAT LOOK!

Old September 2 2010, 04:33 AM   #14
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Pretty much anything Jadzia says when she's on the NCC-1701 in "Trials and Tribble-ations." When she's wondering how great it would be to meet Koloth, Kirk, etc. and Sisko stops her, then she just starts pouting and says "It would have been fun..."
HELLS YES!. We have never been in so much agreement. This is a main reason that episode made me a Jadzia fan for life.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote