RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,629
Posts: 5,427,017
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 608
Newest member: Rom

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 8 2010, 08:52 AM   #91
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Location: Jack Bauer
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
And by all accounts the Lana Lang on Smallville was never exactly well received, so not what I'd call a prime example.
Non sequitur. I've heard people complain about Kristin Kreuk's Lana, but never on the basis of her hair color.
Unfortunately I have. But it was just one person. Plus he complained that Kristin Kreuk was half Asian and that Lana shouldn't be half Asian. But AFAIK the character never was just the actress. He complained about that when the show first aired and he brings it up every once in a while.
__________________
"See you in another life, brotha." - Desmond David Hume - Lost
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 09:45 AM   #92
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Reverend wrote: View Post
Some concept art has been released. Looks like they're developing a very Blade Runner like tech-noir aesthetic.
Wow those look awesome! It does seem the Judge uniform is gonna be replicated in full (Eagle and all) which is a surprise but hopefully a pleasant one--assuming they can pull it off, much as I love the look in the comics trying to translate it into real life would seem to entail something that'd be very cumbersome to wear).

Can' wait to see the LAwmasters...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 02:23 PM   #93
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Reverend wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^No thanks, I already have a brain.
You seam to lack the part that should tell you when to shut up. Seriously mate, almost every other post I've seen you make you're either correcting someone, splitting some insignificant hair or coming back with some sarcy comment when you've been contradicted. It's gone way beyond tiresome.
And I find it very hurtful when people attack and insult me when all I'm trying to do is be informative and participate in the discussion of ideas. I have no personal agenda in it, but people keep assuming the worst of me and accusing me of the most horrible things, and that hurts me very much. This is who I am. This is the way I participate in discussion. My mode of engagement is intellectual more than emotional; I focus on the facts and information, and if I have information or clarification to offer, I do so. I don't intend to hurt or attack anyone by it, but other people are constantly choosing to hurt or attack me because they don't like or understand the way I communicate. That's wrong, it's prejudiced, and I'm not going to apologize for being who I am. If you can't handle it, put me on your ignore list. You're sure as hell going on mine.


Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I've heard people complain about Kristin Kreuk's Lana, but never on the basis of her hair color.
Unfortunately I have. But it was just one person. Plus he complained that Kristin Kreuk was half Asian and that Lana shouldn't be half Asian. But AFAIK the character never was just the actress. He complained about that when the show first aired and he brings it up every once in a while.
Did he have the same objection to Pete Ross being black? If not, it's a curious double standard.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 08:47 PM   #94
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Getting off topic here...and Christopher if it hurts you then maybe you should keep that in mind when you are using your facts and informative information in responding to other people. I've never thought you've had an agenda but it can be deflating when someone like myself is speculating and having fun...I've stated in the past that I agree with you that using facts is important but not to the determent of the discussion. I don't think I'm expressing myself properly here but your response to Reverend is exactly how I have felt in many of our discussions in the past. I've never taken it personally...but it has deflated me. Just thought you should know that.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 10:14 PM   #95
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Christopher wrote: View Post
And I find it very hurtful when people attack and insult me when all I'm trying to do is be informative and participate in the discussion of ideas. I have no personal agenda in it, but people keep assuming the worst of me and accusing me of the most horrible things, and that hurts me very much. This is who I am. This is the way I participate in discussion. My mode of engagement is intellectual more than emotional; I focus on the facts and information, and if I have information or clarification to offer, I do so. I don't intend to hurt or attack anyone by it, but other people are constantly choosing to hurt or attack me because they don't like or understand the way I communicate. That's wrong, it's prejudiced, and I'm not going to apologize for being who I am. If you can't handle it, put me on your ignore list. You're sure as hell going on mine.
Take it anyway you want mate, but it should occur to you that if, as you say, several people are telling you the same thing, then perhaps it's something you aught to be paying attention to.
Whether or not it's intended on your part, your habit of latching onto irrelevant details is not conducive to constructive discussion, it's just an exercise in making yourself feel clever and there's a very good reason why know-it-alls are universally disliked.

Starkers wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Some concept art has been released. Looks like they're developing a very Blade Runner like tech-noir aesthetic.
Wow those look awesome! It does seem the Judge uniform is gonna be replicated in full (Eagle and all) which is a surprise but hopefully a pleasant one--assuming they can pull it off, much as I love the look in the comics trying to translate it into real life would seem to entail something that'd be very cumbersome to wear).

Can' wait to see the LAwmasters...
From the description in the script I think they're sticking pretty faithful to the comic books there too. Huge wide wheels, cannons, the works...and no flying mode. That's what h-wagons are for!

I do hope they also stick reasonably close to the current design of Lawgiver. It's a nice mix of the old classic design and the Stallone movie version, but better and more formidable looking than either.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 10:40 PM   #96
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

I really like the design of the Judges...I agree that it has a "tech-noir" feel like "Blade Runner" that shot of the Riot Judges reminds me of "Terminator". I can't wait to see this.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 10:58 PM   #97
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Of course it's worth remembering that concept art may or may not be representative of the final product. I'd actually be very surprised if the uniform looked exactly as it does there. There has to be some concessions for what works as a practical costume.

To be fair, the uniforms in the Stallone movie weren't that far off the mark, they just looked a little too much like costumes, all plastic and spandex rather than actual functional uniforms. A case of style over substance if ever I saw one.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 11:03 PM   #98
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Oh for sure but even if these are early design concepts which they appear to be, they still look really good and faithful to a degree. I'm sure the final product will look somewhat different or even completely different to what we see here. These are far better than "Jock's" concept art for the abandoned Peter Berg "Dune" adaption.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 11:16 PM   #99
The Badger
Fleet Captain
 
The Badger's Avatar
 
Location: Im in ur Tardis, violating ur canon.
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Reverend wrote: View Post
Some concept art has been released. Looks like they're developing a very Blade Runner like tech-noir aesthetic.

Let's hope they don't go too Blade Runner. That film looks superb, of course, but the inevitable copycats have eroded it's uniqueness. I'm including the Stallone Dredd movie in that. Instead of the distinctive Mega City One style, we got the (by that time) typical 'rain, grime, animated billboards and flashing neon Asian signs'.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2010, 11:52 PM   #100
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

^Some of that is unavoidable. I mean how many different ways are there to cinematically portray massive decaying metropolitan sprawl? Regardless, most of the film takes place within the confines of a single bloc, so the city won't be as prominently featured.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 05:36 AM   #101
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Location: Jack Bauer
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Christopher wrote: View Post

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I've heard people complain about Kristin Kreuk's Lana, but never on the basis of her hair color.
Unfortunately I have. But it was just one person. Plus he complained that Kristin Kreuk was half Asian and that Lana shouldn't be half Asian. But AFAIK the character never was just the actress. He complained about that when the show first aired and he brings it up every once in a while.
Did he have the same objection to Pete Ross being black? If not, it's a curious double standard.
He does but he seems more upset by Lana. I guess he liked that character better than Pete so it upset him more.
__________________
"See you in another life, brotha." - Desmond David Hume - Lost
Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 01:34 PM   #102
Fencer
Fleet Captain
 
Fencer's Avatar
 
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

The Badger wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
Some concept art has been released. Looks like they're developing a very Blade Runner like tech-noir aesthetic.

Let's hope they don't go too Blade Runner. That film looks superb, of course, but the inevitable copycats have eroded it's uniqueness. I'm including the Stallone Dredd movie in that. Instead of the distinctive Mega City One style, we got the (by that time) typical 'rain, grime, animated billboards and flashing neon Asian signs'.

Considering the, possibley apocryphal, reports that the designers of the cityscape in Blade Runner where influenced by Judge Dredd I'm not sure if you can make Mega-City 1 less Blade Runnerish.
__________________
"God is dead", Nick said.
"They found his corpse in 2019, floating out in space near Alpha."
- p. 50 Philip K. Dick "Our Friends from Frolix 8" (Panther, London, 1970)
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 09:42 AM   #103
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Some of that is unavoidable. I mean how many different ways are there to cinematically portray massive decaying metropolitan sprawl? Regardless, most of the film takes place within the confines of a single bloc, so the city won't be as prominently featured.
It's weird I know but outside of specific areas I've always thought of Mega City 1 as a well made, clean city- future building materials and vast amounts of robot labour always suggested a somewhat sterile place (albeit one covered in neon lights advertising the lastest Otto Sump products.)

I wonder if the film will embrace any of the sillier elements of MC1? Simps, bat gliders, uglies, fatties, the banning of sugar etc
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 09:07 PM   #104
Prydonian
Lieutenant
 
Prydonian's Avatar
 
Location: Cork, Ireland
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Starkers wrote: View Post
It's weird I know but outside of specific areas I've always thought of Mega City 1 as a well made, clean city- future building materials and vast amounts of robot labour always suggested a somewhat sterile place (albeit one covered in neon lights advertising the lastest Otto Sump products.)
I've been reading the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files recently and I noticed that in the early strips, MC-1 was generally depicted as a pretty nice place to live (aside from the horrendous unemployment and crime rates). IMO, it started to be depicted as a bit run down after the Judge Cal storyline, and it really started looking grotty after the Apocalypse War (appropriate, as half the city was nuked). Since then, there has been a succession of one city-wide disaster after another (Necropolis, Judgment Day, Inferno, Doomsday for Dredd/Mega-City 1, etc.), so the city has really never had a proper chance to recover from the Apocalypse War. Now, I don't know if this was intentional on the part of the writers and artists or just a coincidence, but to my mind, it provides a handy explanation for how the depiction of the city has evolved over the past 3 decades.
__________________
Prydonian
Prydonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 10:23 PM   #105
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Funny when I was reading the script I was imagining Mega City One in day light and kind of a bright dystopian megatropolis. That concept design is a night time shot...I guess we'll see.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
judge dredd

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.