Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2012, 01:05 PM   #436
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Alex Garland gives brief details on possible sequels from the London Comic Con panel...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/...-alex-garland/
LOL. Slow down, speedy horse.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2012, 01:11 PM   #437
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Why is postulating on a possible trilogy funny? He was probably asked a question by someone in the audience and responded as any filmmaker/screenwriter would. This doesn't mean they're actually going to happen.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 08:44 AM   #438
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah I agree with him, I don't think you can have Death show up straight away. Still, if what they're saying is true about how much this needs to make to justify a sequel you've gotta think they might well do it.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 06:38 PM   #439
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Why is postulating on a possible trilogy funny? He was probably asked a question by someone in the audience and responded as any filmmaker/screenwriter would. This doesn't mean they're actually going to happen.
Indeed. If you actually read what he says in context, he's not saying he has some grand epic plan for a trilogy, he says that IF "they" decide to greenlight sequels, he has some ideas that could be developed.

If they do choose to use Judge Death in the sequels, establishing Anderson right off the bat should pay off in spades given her association with the Dark Judges in the comics.

Actually, for such a long running comic book character Dredd doesn't have much in the way of an established rogue's gallery. There's the Dark Judges, P.J. Maybe, The Angel Gang and that robot Judge who's name escapes me (Mechanismo??) From what I recall Rico was always something of a one-shot villain, not nearly the arch nemesis the Stallone film made him out to be.

I'd be interested to see a film with P.J. as the main antagonist, given that he's more of a cerebral (if a little disslecsick ) antagonist. More often than not he's five steps ahead of Dredd and pretty much always gets away in the end.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 07:01 PM   #440
captcalhoun
Admiral

Sov Judges. he's always getting involved in conflicts with the Sovs...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 07:41 PM   #441
Lonemagpie
Writer

Rico could work if, you know, he actually looks like his fellow clone this time...

Personally, other than Death and the other Dark Judges, I'd go with Cal or the Judda. or maybe Orlok.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2012, 07:55 PM   #442
Reverend
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Sov Judges. he's always getting involved in conflicts with the Sovs...
Until he nuked them all, anyway. I freely admit, I'm no expert on Dredd, but I'm not aware of any significant recurring Sov Judge characters.

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Rico could work if, you know, he actually looks like his fellow clone this time...

Personally, other than Death and the other Dark Judges, I'd go with Cal or the Judda. or maybe Orlok.
I suppose he could but lets be honest; was he ever really that much of an interesting character? I mean besides being a fellow Fargo clone who went corrupt and homicidal, what can we really say about him? When you get right down to it he's a fairly unimaginative attempt at an "anti-Dredd" arch nemesis. Death filled that role far better. Indeed, I think they've gotten more mileage out of Rico's daughter as a sympathetic character than they ever got out of Rico himself as an antagonist. How many times did he even appear anyway? Two or three times before Dredd put him down for good?

If it were up to me I'd rather they keep to a similar vein as this upcoming film. That is just Dredd being a Judge, with Megacity One as his perpetual antagonist/love interest. The danger with going with characters like Death is that the films might suffer from the Batman movie syndrome where the whole film is about the villain more than the (anti) hero. You don't really have to explain where characters like Ma-ma or P.J. Maybe come from because they're just like any other lawbreaking creep...a little bit more psychotic than the average citizen (or more sane, it's hard to tell) but you don't need to spend 40 minutes setting up that they got dumped in a vat of acid, joined the circus or got turned into a crazy sand monster after being mistaken for a pigeon.

To me, that story from a few years back where Dredd got busted down and assigned to the *worst* sector house in the Meg would be a far more interesting basis for a film than an attempt at doing an origin story, or even a cursed earth/long walk adaptation. It'd be like 'The Dirty Dozen' meets 'Assault on Precinct 13'. A large ensemble cast of misfits, plenty of interpersonal conflict interspersed with a lot of Judging.

Last edited by Reverend; July 9 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old July 9 2012, 10:09 PM   #443
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I've never read 2000 A.D. Does Rico leave his helmet on all the time like Dredd, or does he take it off more often? If it's the latter, I imagine Karl Urban could probably play both Dredd and Rico.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2012, 12:21 AM   #444
Reverend
Rear Admiral

IIRC Rico only ever appeared once in the flesh (all the other times were flashbacks) and Dredd promptly kills him. By that point he'd been on Titan for a few decades where the prisoners are given some heavy cybernetic alterations (see for yourself.) So pretty much anyone with the same build could play Rico.

I think they generally kept the true appearance of Fargo and those other clones (there's at least another two as I recall) hidden too. It's all an extension of keeping Dredd's face hidden.
Old July 10 2012, 01:17 AM   #445
Lonemagpie
Writer

Reverend wrote: View Post
IIRC Rico only ever appeared once in the flesh (all the other times were flashbacks) and Dredd promptly kills him. By that point he'd been on Titan for a few decades where the prisoners are given some heavy cybernetic alterations (see for yourself.) So pretty much anyone with the same build could play Rico.

I think they generally kept the true appearance of Fargo and those other clones (there's at least another two as I recall) hidden too. It's all an extension of keeping Dredd's face hidden.
There's actually been one panel showing Fargo's - and, by extension, Dredd's - face, which was printed several months before they actually decided that Dredd and Rico were cloned from him. You can see it on his wikipedia page.

Old July 10 2012, 08:43 AM   #446
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Hence my use of the word "generally".

I think it's safe to say a lot of details from earlier strips have been retconed. Indeed, wasn't that whole 'Origins' epic meant (in part at least) to straighten out all of the continuity errors and contradictions that had crept in over the years?
Old July 10 2012, 11:08 AM   #447
Lonemagpie
Writer

It was, but until they show that face again and have someone say "that looks nothing like Fargo" then...

Old July 10 2012, 11:09 AM   #448
Lonemagpie
Writer

Funnily enough I dreamed I was watching or in the Dredd movie last night, and was mightily surprised when it turned into a Game Of Thrones crossover... (no doubt due to Lena Headey being in it)

Old July 12 2012, 11:00 AM   #449
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Brendon Connelly of Bleeding Cool saw "Dredd" last night, I guess they're doing a press screening at SDCC. Sounds like he wasn't too enthused by it, but what he describes is pretty much the leaked script so I remain excited.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/...-you-about-it/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 12:37 PM   #450
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Another review at io9

http://io9.com/5925364/dredd-is-a-br...nt-and-a-brain

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote