The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

according to an update to that post:

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like something that was hanging in someones office cubical. Pinned up in the corners of a drab grey background.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well you know there's some good buzz for a film when people start faking posters.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I hope it isn't real, looks...well looks underwhelming.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't think much of it since it was allegedly just a teaser poster. If it's a fake teaser poster that's even worse.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'm afraid i'm no longer excited for this movie after seeing those crappy-ass vehicle behind-the-scenes pics. it's going to need a WIN-filled trailer to get my attention now...

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^If it makes you feel any better, I don't think vehicles play a very big role in the film. The whole thing essentially takes place inside one block. Think Die Hard meets Training Day. I know what you mean though, the modern looking vans were a bit disappointing and the Lawmaster looked a little odd from the side. Of course all that we've seen is completely out of context and I'll be reserving judgement (no pun intended) until I see some actual footage.

8. Admiral_Young

Yep. As we've mentioned in the thread before the bulk of the story is very much self-contained and really focuses on Anderson and Dredd as they respond to taking out Mama in the block. I assume everything else we see in the film is for texture purposes and filling out the city, etc.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and hopefully a lot of it will look better on screen. I'm underwhelmed but I'm still excited at the same time.

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Not so sure about the costume's shoulder-pieces, but the helmet style seems to be based on the early Ezquerra-drawn strips. So at least it's accurate to that, The shoulder pieces and what we can see of the badge look more Johnny Alpha style, which also was an Ezquerra-drawn series...

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^As you just intimated, there have been a number of distinct aesthetic styles utilised over the decades Dredd has been around, so "accuracy" is never going to be possible when there's so much variety in the source material. Overall I think they've stayed remarkably faithful to the spirit of the source material while still keeping things grounded so it looks like an actual, functional uniform rather than a comic book costume.

As for the shoulder pads; I think it's probably a case of practicality over style. I can imagine a more faithful approach would really restrict the wearer's movement, to say nothing of the ability to ride a motorcycle. Comics can get away with things that just aren't feasible in the real world.

15. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yeah, if you've ever tried making or wearing a Dredd costume, the shoulder eagle is just utterly impractical in every possible way...

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah I think that's probably why they made the pads into a single piece in the old Stallone movie. Even then it clearly had a tendency to ride up if the actor tried to raise their arms of move their shoulders. Probably why every character took every opportunity to rip the damn thing off and run around in just the plain blue uniform.

Still, even with this new design the pads are still there and one of them clearly has an eagle design on it, so the spirit of the thing is still there.

18. Admiral_Young

I'm loving the pic.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Helmet still looks wrong, almost like he's wearing another helmet inside the helmet.

20. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the slimmer, I suppose more realistic uniform, the helmet still looks a tad too big.

As ever, these things look much more different in motion. And hey, it's Hollywood, he'll have the helmet off at every opportunity for authenticity :p

A friend invited some of us around to catch Robocop on his huge TV screen at the weekend. I'm hoping enough time has passed since that movie, to allow us to have a darkly comic Dredd movie, without everyone complaining its ripping off Robocop.