TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 12 2010, 08:32 PM   #1
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Stay with current job, or look for a full-time job?

I've been with my job for three years now and I like working there quite a bit, but it's only part-time. I get more hours by them calling me in a lot, because they know I'll say yes. My question is, because of how the economy is, should I look for a full-time job still or just stick with my current job? I still live at home so it's okay for now but there may come a day where I will probably have to get an apartment. But I don't want to jeopardize my current work job, with not knowing if my new job would keep me or not.

I've never had a job where I have been "fired", but there could always be a first.

Thoughts?
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Re: Stay with current job, or look for a full-time job?

You can look for a new job while working the current one. If you find something better, go for it and put in your two weeks.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

It never hurts to look.
Old August 12 2010, 10:53 PM   #4
Marie1
Rear Admiral

TheBrew wrote: View Post
You can look for a new job while working the current one. If you find something better, go for it and put in your two weeks.
My thoughts exactly, esp. if you need the money.
Old August 12 2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile

Marie1 wrote: View Post
TheBrew wrote: View Post
My thoughts exactly, esp. if you need the money.
I'll third this.
Old August 12 2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Yeah, for the love of all that is good and holy, for the love of your sanity, your future financial stability, and more importantly, for your sanity, stay at your current job while you look. Don't go into this market right now without having a job under you, because you'll get a really rude awakening if you don't. Trust me.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 11:36 PM   #7
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Get out there and look. Apply for everything and anything that sounds interesting. If you get a new job, great, if not, you still have your old one to keep you going. Don't quit, especially since you said you ARE happy there. Stay, until you find something worth leaving for.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Steven
Admiral

Is there any chance your current job could be upgraded to full-time if you ask?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to work at your current job while looking for something full-time. That's the situation I found myself in a few years ago. I got a part-time (actually started as seasonal) job but was also looking for a more permanent position that was actually in my field the entire time.
Old August 12 2010, 11:52 PM   #9
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Steven wrote: View Post
Is there any chance your current job could be upgraded to full-time if you ask?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with continuing to work at your current job while looking for something full-time. That's the situation I found myself in a few years ago. I got a part-time (actually started as seasonal) job but was also looking for a more permanent position that was actually in my field the entire time.
No the only full-time positions at my store are supervisors/managers. My job is okay, I can't complain, but I just get worried for the day if I do have to get my own apartment or whatever if I'll be able to do it okay. I do get called in a lot (I can average 30 hours-35 hours a week this way), and if I don't hours are usually about 15-20 a week. During slow months (usually just April-May) it can be about 10 hours a week. But then again, I do get called in a lot so some 10 hour weeks can go up to 15-25 easily. I know I need a full-time job, but it's just the way things are it's scary lately. I've worked steadily for 3 years now at my job, and I know I won't be losing it any time soon.

I'm just thinking of the time where I may have to get my own place if I'll be okay if I don't get another job. I don't plan on quitting this one at all, they are good at working around other jobs. If this were 5-10 years ago, I wouldn't give switching jobs a second thought since things were decent back then
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 11:56 PM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

If nothing else, you can try to get a second part-time job that doesn't conflict with your current schedule.
Old August 13 2010, 12:21 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

Yea, I am not sure I understand the question. What about searching for a new job would require you to quit your existing job first?
Old August 13 2010, 01:11 AM   #12
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I think he's worried about going to a new job and then being laid off in a few months time or not liking it.... both have happened to me. I actually quit a job and started work for circuit city... the day before they closed. Go figure. Don't let that discourage you, though.
Old August 13 2010, 01:16 AM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's always good to keep a foot in the door of your current job, especially if you like it. I left my job for 6 months for a new job, but it didn't work out. Luckily, I stayed in touch and maintained friendships with my old coworkers and they were more than happy to welcome me back. It's still not what I want to do for a living, but I know that I can always fall back on it if I need to.
Old August 13 2010, 10:25 PM   #14
emacs
Lieutenant Commander

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Don't go into this market right now without having a job under you, because you'll get a really rude awakening if you don't. Trust me.
this is true during any economy for the vast majority of professions.

that said, however, if your personal network is strong and you are very familiar (and known) within your area of expertise you may be able to afford to a few weeks off. i did just that and enjoyed a self-imposed six (6) vacation in June / July as i was setting up own consulting firm.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2010, 09:23 AM   #15
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

^ True.

Oh, and fingers crossed, I'm one of three applicants being considered for a Dollar General cashier position. I'll learn the results on Tuesday.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote